What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a number of nice razors, available new in the (approximately) $75 to $150 (USD) price range. Figured I'd compile my shaving notes and pics in one place with additional impressions of each razor, positive and negative.

***Please remember that I do NOT chase BBS. My shaves are routinely in the DFS to DFS++ range and that's fine by me. I occasionally still hit BBS without trying, usually with razors outside the parameters of this comparison.***

This is very much In My Opinion and YMMV so please keep that in mind.

Please feel free to contribute your own shaves and opinions and/or comment on mine.

With that, let's begin:

Karve Mixed OC-C 20201204
20201204_151708~2.jpg

Razor: Karve Mixed OC-C (Brass handle and cap + Stainless OC-C plate)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4)
Brush: Semogue Owners Club (SOC) Premium Boar, Taj Resin Handle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Proraso Blue Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Canoe

I really like this razor. Lots of flexibility with a wide variety of SB and OC plates. Very good combination of smooth, efficient and effective. My shaves with the Karve Mixed OC-C (Brass handle and cap + Stainless OC-C plate) are really pleasant with excellent results. Recommended. 👍

More to follow. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Charcoal Goods Everyday 20201030
20201030_104519~2.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Stainless Everyday Razor (Charcoal Goods Copper Maze Handle)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Brush: Maggard Sandy-Pearl handle (Maggard 26mm Timberwolf)
Lather: Martin de Candre Natural
Post-shave: RazoRock Alum
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

This razor lives up to its name - I could easily use it every day. A very competent razor and a pleasure to use. Recommended for those who enjoy a mild/mid efficient razor. 👍

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Rex Envoy 20201221
20201221_204555~2.jpg

Razor: Rex Envoy
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5)
Brush: Omega Model 10066 White Handle (24mm Boar)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat ('The Fat' rocks.)
Pre-shave: Splash face with warm water, massage Cremo into face, lightly rinse with warm water
Post-shave: Cold water rinse, towel dry, apply Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

The Rex Envoy is an outstanding razor that shaves well above its price point. Excellent fit and finish. Absolutely smooth. Medium++ efficient. Outstanding results. Highly recommended. 👍

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
RazoRock Stainless Lupo w/DLC 20201222
20201222_132328~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Stainless Lupo w/DLC
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Mondial 1908 Faux Ivory (26mm Boar)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Pre-shave: Splash face with warm water, massage Cremo into face, lightly rinse with warm water
Post-shave: Cold water rinse, towel dry, apply Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

The Stainless RazoRock Lupo w/DLC coating is also a very nice razor that shaves above its cost. The DLC coating feels a bit different against my face, which takes a little getting used to. The shaves are close, efficient and effective. Recommended. 👍

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Very informative thread, David. Thank you for taking the time to compile your impressions on these razors. These types of comparisons help countless readers me as they I jump deeper into rabbit holes!

Thank you, my friend. :)

I have more to post as time permits.

Merry Christmas. 🎄

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good information for a person who is thinking about purchasing a new razor, I like reading reviews before purchasing anything new now a days.
Have some good Christmas holidays, hopefully 2021 is better than 2020 for a majority of folks!
Thanks David.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yates 921-H 20201223
20201223_123259~2.jpg

Razor: Yates 921-H (Charcoal Goods Copper Maze Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: Omega 10081 Silver Beehive Handle (23mm Boar)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Post-shave: Cold water rinse, RazoRock Alum, cold water rinse, towel dry, Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

The Yates 921-H is a mid-high efficient razor. The shave is smooth and close. The stone washed finish feels different than my other stainless razors - more 'face feel', if you will. Not really an issue, but it is different. Recommended. 👍

Yates 921-HYB 20201212
20201212_151921~2.jpg

Razor: Yates Model 921-HYB Brass Base + Model 921 Stainless Cap (Charcoal Goods Hammered Brass Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Brush: OMEGA Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Lather: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Red
Fragrance: Preferred Stock by Stetson

The Yates Model 921-HYB Brass Base + Model 921 Stainless Cap is a medium efficient dual comb razor. It shaves close and smooth. It's not quite as efficient as the 921-H but, with the brass plate, exhibits less of the 'stone washed' feel of the 921-H. Overall, a very effective razor. Recommend. 👍

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Good information for a person who is thinking about purchasing a new razor, I like reading reviews before purchasing anything new now a days.
Have some good Christmas holidays, hopefully 2021 is better than 2020 for a majority of folks!
Thanks David.

Thank you very much. :)

Merry Christmas! 🎄

Nice thread. Curious about the routine application of two daily aftershaves, though. I enjoy Osage Rub, as well, but I use it in rotation with my other aftershave splashes.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Nice thread. Curious about the routine application of two daily aftershaves, though. I enjoy Osage Rub, as well, but I use it in rotation with my other aftershave splashes.

Different strokes..... ;)

I like the feel of Osage Rub but the scent dissipates very quickly. After the scent dies down, I apply a stronger scented Aftershave.

Today I paired Osage Rub with Classic Stetson Cologne. Worked really well together.

As with all things shaving, YMMV. 😎

Top Bottom