What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@never-stop-learning, this is a great informational thread and I love the pics you're sharing along.

That said, I'd like to ask you a kind of a pragmatic question - which one is the best of them all? To you that is.

Thank you very much. :)

I am horrible when it comes to ranking something as the 'best'. 'Best' can be a very relative term. There really is not a 'bad' razor in this group - they are all well made, quality shaving tools. Ultimately, my 'best' is driven by my preferences and biases (which have been known to change with my mood ;)). The point being that my preferences may be different than your preferences.

Beginning today, I am doing another round of shaves to fine tune my notes. Hopefully, this will provide additional clarity where each razor stands in my personal hierarchy.

Just my opinion. :)

Thank you very much. :)

I am horrible when it comes to ranking something as the 'best'. 'Best' can be a very relative term. There really is not a 'bad' razor in this group - they are all well made, quality shaving tools. Ultimately, my 'best' is driven by my preferences and biases (which have been known to change with my mood ;)). The point being that my preferences may be different than your preferences.

Beginning today, I am doing another round of shaves to fine tune my notes. Hopefully, this will provide additional clarity where each razor stands in my personal hierarchy.

I see 😀 Hard to make a choice, huh?

Well, how about putting it this way:

Say, you can only take one razor and one blade with you for the special trip. You will need to shave regularly, but not necessarily daily. You'll be away from home for a year.

Which one is THE ONE to take with you?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Say, you can only take one razor and one blade with you for the special trip. You will need to shave regularly, but not necessarily daily. You'll be away from home for a year.

My ADD would never permit such a thing. ;)

But seriously.....I haven't made up my mind which razor(s) will be at the top of the list.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20201228.jpg

Razor: Karve Mixed OC-C (Brass handle and cap + Stainless OC-C plate)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5 and retired)
Brush: Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Fragrance: Shades of Blue for Men EdT Spray (Belcam version of Light Blue Pour Homme)

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Karve has been in my regular rotation for some time and continues to provide me with wonderful, consistent and effective shaves. :thumbup:

Great razor! :cool:

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1201177
Razor: Karve Mixed OC-C (Brass handle and cap + Stainless OC-C plate)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5 and retired)
Brush: Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Fragrance: Shades of Blue for Men EdT Spray (Belcam version of Light Blue Pour Homme)

The Karve has been in my regular rotation for some time and continues to provide me with wonderful, consistent and effective shaves. :thumbup:

Great razor! :cool:
David, Some nice razors in your collection, Karve came out with a wide version recently. I think its just the top cap covers the whole blade if a person wants his blade covered on a Karve razor.

Hi David,

One DE razor in the price range you're discussing that I've been considering is the Blackland Dart. Have you tried that razor?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

If I were traveling for a year, I would probably bring at least 6 razors along. Seriously. I traveled for a bit over seven weeks a while back, and took 3 razors . And two brushes. And 4 soaps. Probably 5 packs of blades. Etc.

If I were traveling for a year, I would probably bring at least 6 razors along. Seriously. I traveled for a bit over seven weeks a while back, and took 3 razors . And two brushes. And 4 soaps. Probably 5 packs of blades. Etc.
It was a hypothetical question.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It was a hypothetical question.
I hear you and understand. But if I were traveling for a year, I’d pack a pretty big kit. To spin your question another way... if someone held a gun to my head and said to give him all of my razors except one, as of this moment I would keep the Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 2 in brass with the Stinger handle. It isn’t the very smoothest, but it is a wicked close shaver and it’s smooth enough given its efficiency.

edit: I failed to take into account the price range. So that would be a tougher question. The Charcoal Goods Everyday razor maybe.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I taught, based on your other post, it would've been the new OC version of Vector. Maybe I misinterpreted your comments.

The Blackland Razors Vector OC is my current 'price no object' #1 AC razor and would be one of the razors I would pack for a year long trip.

I thought you were asking the question about the razors in the $75 to $125 range that are on this thread?

Last edited:
The Blackland Razors Vector OC is my current 'price no object' #1 AC razor and would be one of the razors I would pack for a year long trip.

I thought you were asking the question about the razors in the $75 to $125 range that are on this thread?
Sorry for the confusion... yes, I was referring to "#1 absolute favorite" if you wish, regardless of price.

So Vector OC it is then. Tnx.

I've been considering it for some time, but Hawk gives me such a nice shave, I love it. I couldn't justify spending $300 on smth. that'd be essentially the same. Then again, I haven't tried it... so it's purely hypothetical.

Somehow I've this feeling that if Vector was priced $60 and Hawk $300, then everyone would be saying how "Hawk is in a different league" and "Vectors great for the price, but not as good...". I think many people largely base their claims on price alone, as they feel they need to justify spending that much money. Then they "convince" themselves that because one razor cost 5 times more, it's significantly better.

I'm not saying you're one of those people, I'm just saying this has been my experience in life, in general.

Any thoughts on actual shave quality between Vector and Hawk 3...?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for the confusion... yes, I was referring to "#1 absolute favorite" if you wish, regardless of price.

So Vector OC it is then. Tnx.

I've been considering it for some time, but Hawk gives me such a nice shave, I love it. I couldn't justify spending $300 on smth. that'd be essentially the same. Then again, I haven't tried it... so it's purely hypothetical.

Somehow I've this feeling that if Vector was priced $60 and Hawk $300, then everyone would be saying how "Hawk is in a different league" and "Vectors great for the price, but not as good...". I think many people largely base their claims on price alone, as they feel they need to justify spending that much money. Then they "convince" themselves that because one razor cost 5 times more, it's significantly better.

I'm not saying you're one of those people, I'm just saying this has been my experience in life, in general.

Any thoughts on actual shave quality between Vector and Hawk 3...?

I have the Hawk V3-OC and the V3-A. They are both very good razors - nod to the V3-OC.

I prefer the Vector-OC because the head is smaller, more maneuverable and exceptionally nimble. It hits all the nooks and crannies of my face comfortably and effectively.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blackland Razors Dart 20201229
shave 20201229.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Dart
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Zenith B34 "Butterscotch Chubby" (28mm Boar)
Post-shave: Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave: Brut

The Dart is a gorgeous razor. Efficient, effective and exacting. One of my favorite DE razors - price notwithstanding. Easily in the top third of this comparison. Highly recommended! 👍

Awesome shave. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
@never-stop-learning and @DaveHStone ... so is it a valid assumption that if I dont care for the Hawk V3, then I would probably not like the Vector? As much as I LOVE the Feather Artist Club razor, I can not seem to get along with any of the AC SE razors. And I dont want to spend a ton of money to find out I wont like the Vector either. I already have the Hawk V3 and dont like it.

@never-stop-learning and @DaveHStone ... so is it a valid assumption that if I dont care for the Hawk V3, then I would probably not like the Vector? As much as I LOVE the Feather Artist Club razor, I can not seem to get along with any of the AC SE razors. And I dont want to spend a ton of money to find out I wont like the Vector either. I already have the Hawk V3 and dont like it.
Well, I'm probably a wrong guy to ask, as Hawk V3 is my sole AC-type SE razor. I haven't used/tried any other and frankly I don't intend to either, at least for the time being.

My Hawk v3 is standard base plate, not an OC. There is also an "A" type base plate, pertaining to be an aggressive version, but all the users report that A is no different than SB, while OC is somewhat more aggressive than either A or SB. Go figure...

I've also "arrived" to Hawk from Feather AC SS, which BTW I find to be an excellent SR/shavette. That said, Hawk is much easier to use, maneuver over my face than my AC. I have the non-folding version with black resin handle.

Bottom-line is that Hawk v3 loaded with Feather Pro Super blades is my favorite razor, the one I reach for all the time.

I am sure Vector is an awesome razor, too, but I have no first hand experience. To me personally, the Colonial General V2 looks more appealing, more well-balanced. I actually don't fancy Vectors tiny head, I think it requires learning an uncommon shaving technique, as you need to apply pressure, opposed to letting the weight do the job. Just my $0.02...

Top Bottom