What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

Nice Reviews...Just received my Karve SB D plate today..Can't wait to try it.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blackland Razors Dart 20201121
shave 20201121.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Dart
Blade: Silver Star (4)
Brush: RazoRock F-400 (34mm Noir Plissoft synthetic knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: La Toja Stick (grated) + Cremo = Super Lather
Post-shave Care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Brut

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Dart is a gorgeous razor. Efficient, effective and exacting. Looks and shaves way the heck above its $99 cost. Highly recommended! 👍

Wonderful shave. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
RazoRock Mamba 70 20200813
shave 20200812.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Mamba 70 (@GAW9576 Custom Emerald Green Handle)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
Pre-shave: Williams Lectric Shave
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B Group Buy 2020 (Shavemac 22mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Does not feel as efficient as the GC84-P and, sure enough, the end result is not quite as close. Still close, smooth and comfortable - you would have to be seriously trying to cut yourself to actually do do. Recommended for those who like a mild razor over ultimate efficiency. :thumbsup:

RazoRock BBS 20200814
shave 20200814.jpg

Razor: RazoRock BBS (Butterscotch handle crafted by @GAW9576)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (5)
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Very similar family 'feel' with the BBS and the Mamba 70. As with the Mamba 70, you would have to be seriously trying to cut yourself to actually do so with the BBS.

The BBS is a really smooth operator. This razor is comfortable. As smooth as it is, the BBS still maintains moderate efficiency and effectiveness. Efficiency exceeds the Mamba 70 but the BBS does not best the GC84-P in efficiency or effectiveness.

The BBS provides a nice, close, smooth and comfortable shave. A very nice razor. Is it THAT much better than the Mamba 70? No - but it does get you there quicker and easier. Recommended :thumbsup:

RazoRock GC-84-P 20200815
shave 20200815.jpg

Razor: RazoRock GC84-P (Charcoal Goods Copper Maze handle)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (6)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Reuzel
Fragrance: Volatile For Men Eau De Toilette Spray (Belcam Version Of Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb)

Used the same blade and soap as I did with the BBS and Mamba 70.

I like the new BBS and the Mamba 70. But, were I forced to choose only one of these three very excellent and capable razors, the GC84-P is the one I would choose. The GC84-P feels more natural, is more efficient, is not super critical regarding angle and gives me a great shave every time I use it.

The RR GC84-P is a very good razor and an excellent value for the price! Recommended :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Mühle R41 Twist 20201114
shave 20201114.jpg

Razor: Mühle R41 Twist
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: RazoRock Butterscotch Beehive (28mm Plissoft knot)
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Post-shave care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave/Fragrance: PAA Malbolge Aftershave Cologne

Two passes + touch-up. One small and easily dealt with nick (momentary lack of focus listening to Pink Floyd while shaving ;)), no cuts, weepers or irritation.

Excellent shave. You do have to pay attention when shaving with the R41 Twist. Definitely an efficient razor. A very good razor, probably best for an every other day rotation. Recommended. :thumbsup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Ikon B1 Razors:

Ikon B1 OC Deluxe 20201009
shave 20201009.jpg

Razor: Ikon B1 OC Deluxe (Butterscotch handle crafted by @GAW9576)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4)
Brush: The Tech Hive Butterscotch Beehive (26mm Tuxedo)
Lather: Tabac
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

This is the mildest of the Ikon B1 series of razors. Medium efficiency, but still nice and effective. Kind of reminds me of the Gillette NEW LC. A very pleasant razor to use. Recommended. :thumbup:

Ikon B1 OSS Dual Comb 20200609
20200609_153048.jpg

Razor: Ikon B1 OSS Dual Comb, TiBam 'Antique' Handle
Blade: Silver Star (2)
Brush: Zenith B34 28mm Boar
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Cologne: Red Classic Match Eau de Toilette Spray (Belcam version of Polo Red)

Cool razor. One side is the B1 OC Deluxe, the other side is the B1 Standard. You have medium efficiency on the OC side and high efficiency on the SB side. I used the higher efficiency SB side WTG and the medium efficiency OC side for the XTG and ATG passes. Worked pretty darn well. Recommended if Dual Comb razors appeal to you. :thumbup:

Ikon B1 Standard 20201226
shave 20201226.jpg

Razor: Ikon B1 Standard (Maggard MR11 Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)
Brush: Zenith B24 Wenghe Wood Handle (24mm Boar Knot)
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Post-shave: Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave: Tipsy's & Co. Sandalwood
Fragrance: Aspen

The Ikon B1 Standard is right up there with the Muhle R41 Twist on the efficiency scale. No daydreaming allowed. With the proper technique, I got a very close, efficient and effective shave. The B1 Standard is not, in my opinion, what I would think of as a 'daily driver' for most shavers. It is very well made and the results are excellent. Recommended for those who like a very efficient razor. :thumbup:

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Great post David. With regards to your Razorock reviews, I’ve had just about every variation on all of their razors. I also think the GC 84-p is the best of the heap. The 84 OC and 84 Jaws provided me with much more harshness in the shave without any increase in the efficiency. So I sold them off. The 68-p was just too mild and way too inefficient. Both Mambas and the BBS were too inefficient compared to the GC 84-p as well. Then someone recommended I try the GC 68-OC. I was quite hesitant due to my experience with the 68-p, but I eventually got one anyway. It compares quite nicely to the 84-p, but still doesn’t knock it from the top of Razorock list for me. However the great shave I got with the 68 OC was a surprise. Great posts. Keep them coming!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great post David. With regards to your Razorock reviews, I’ve had just about every variation on all of their razors. I also think the GC 84-p is the best of the heap. The 84 OC and 84 Jaws provided me with much more harshness in the shave without any increase in the efficiency. So I sold them off. The 68-p was just too mild and way too inefficient. Both Mambas and the BBS were too inefficient compared to the GC 84-p as well. Then someone recommended I try the GC 68-OC. I was quite hesitant due to my experience with the 68-p, but I eventually got one anyway. It compares quite nicely to the 84-p, but still doesn’t knock it from the top of Razorock list for me. However the great shave I got with the 68 OC was a surprise. Great posts. Keep them coming!

Thank you, my friend! I appreciate your observations and feedback. :)

Right now, in my personal RazoRock hierarchy, the Lupo DLC and the GC84-P are at the top. Someday, if it ever gets released, I'd like to see how a Stainless 'sans-DLC' Lupo feels against my face.

One thing for sure, the GC84-P is an excellent value and a great razor. A nice balance between smooth and efficient.

Just my opinion. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Occam's Stainless DE 20201227
shave 20201227_144502.jpg

Razor: Occam's Stainless DE Safety Razor (Full OC Plate)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5 and retired)
Brush: Semogue Owners Club (SOC) Premium Boar, Taj Resin Handle
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Fragrance: Bath and Body Works Midnight

No nonsense razor. Gets the job done in a very intuitive yet workmanlike manner. Medium efficient. Very smooth with no irritation. A very underrated razor that provides an excellent and stress free shave. Excellent value for the cost - especially if you got one at the introductory price. Excellent shave! Recommended. :thumbup:

Note: I pondered whether of not to include the Occam's Stainless DE Safety Razor in this comparison for two reasons: 1) I've tried to include only currently manufactured and available razors and I'm not sure about future availability and 2) even though the retail is $79 (barely inside my arbitrary $75 - $125 price range), the sale price is still listed at close to $60 (definitely under).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
As an aside, there are no crappy razors in this group of 15 razors I've listed so far. They all shave quite well, some exceptionally well, especially for the price range. Trying to figure out how to assign some kind of ranking is going to be difficult.

Top Bottom