What's new

Comparing Vector to ATT SE1/SE2

I currently own the ATT SE1 and have the SE2 plate as well. But every time I look at a picture of the Vector, I want one .. :). And the fact that I cannot find many (if any) negative opinions on the Vector is making it even hard to resist.

In all seriousness though, I am curious about how folks here who have use the Vector and have either the SE1/SE2 compare the quality of the shaves between the two. My reading/research shows that the Vector is less agressive than even the SE1, which has given me very good shaves and is fairly comfortable as well. What could the Vector offer that the SE1 does not?

I know that razors are YMMV but curious about opinions of folks who have used both.

I'm trying to come up with a list of points of comparison between the two, giving plus and minus points here and there, but I can't. They're both fantastic razors which give great shaves and are a pleasure to use. It's a bit like comparing a really fine Islay malt with a top notch Speyside. You need to try both.

I'm trying to come up with a list of points of comparison between the two, giving plus and minus points here and there, but I can't. They're both fantastic razors which give great shaves and are a pleasure to use. It's a bit like comparing a really fine Islay malt with a top notch Speyside. You need to try both.
But I like Highland the best. :)

But I do get your gist .. :D. I figured why not just give it a go so ordered the Vector. Really curious to compare it to my SE1/SE2 and the Rockwell 6S.

I think for me the most important thing is to get a razor that can strike a balance between getting a close shave without having to pay 100% attention all the time. Something 'easy' to use but can still give me a good shave.

Something 'easy' to use but can still give me a good shave.
This phrase hits the nail on the head for both razors IMO. I like the SE1 ever so slightly more maybe because I have a lot more experience with it, but the vector still shines. The vector profile is so small, the half screw design by Shane at Blackland is genius. Both shave very similar. Don’t mean to throw a curveball, but the Enoch is yet another good SE razor. And the release of the the new Hawk,.... choices galore.

I have the SE1 and only use it with Schick Proline blades. It's so good, I have no desire to try to find anything as good or better. I have used a number of other AC razors, the SE1 wins. I still own the SE2 V1 and V2, El Jefe and RR Hawk V2.

I have the SE1 and only use it with Schick Proline blades. It's so good, I have no desire to try to find anything as good or better. I have used a number of other AC razors, the SE1 wins. I still own the SE2 V1 and V2, El Jefe and RR Hawk V2.

The SE1 is definitely the one I feel gives me the most balanced shave (so far). But I only have the SE1/SE2, Rockwell 6s and Merkur 34C. While I think the SE2 gives me a decent shave too, something about the open comb just does not agree with me. The Rockwell 6S (with #4 plate) is pretty damn good too.

Honestly, I could have got away without really getting another new razor since I have bought both the ATT and Rockwell in the last month but I just wanted to try out the Vector because of all the good reviews I have read.

This phrase hits the nail on the head for both razors IMO. I like the SE1 ever so slightly more maybe because I have a lot more experience with it, but the vector still shines. The vector profile is so small, the half screw design by Shane at Blackland is genius. Both shave very similar. Don’t mean to throw a curveball, but the Enoch is yet another good SE razor. And the release of the the new Hawk,.... choices galore.
The one thing that I am really interested in comparing the SE1 and Vector on is how they shave around the neck. Given the smaller profile of the Vector, maybe it ends up being more maneuverable and gives me a better experience there.

Curious to test this out.

The SE1 is definitely the one I feel gives me the most balanced shave (so far). But I only have the SE1/SE2, Rockwell 6s and Merkur 34C. While I think the SE2 gives me a decent shave too, something about the open comb just does not agree with me. The Rockwell 6S (with #4 plate) is pretty damn good too.

Honestly, I could have got away without really getting another new razor since I have bought both the ATT and Rockwell in the last month but I just wanted to try out the Vector because of all the good reviews I have read.

I have used a lot of vintage and a number of modern DE and SE razors, GEM and injectors.

The SE2 is overkill for me.

I have no doubt that the Vector is as good as the reviews say it is, but I have no desire to try one.

I have used a lot of vintage and a number of modern DE and SE razors, GEM and injectors.

The SE2 is overkill for me.

I have no doubt that the Vector is as good as the reviews say it is, but I have no desire to try one.

Your fingers are less twitchy than mine when hovering over the 'Buy' button .. ha ha.

I was actually debating buying the Sabre or Vector but the limited blade options on the Sabre definitely led me to favoring the Vector. However, if the Vector ends up disappointing, I may actually just exchange it for a Sabre.

Your fingers are less twitchy than mine when hovering over the 'Buy' button .. ha ha.

I was actually debating buying the Sabre or Vector but the limited blade options on the Sabre definitely led me to favoring the Vector. However, if the Vector ends up disappointing, I may actually just exchange it for a Sabre.

My fingers were probably as twitchy as yours at some point. I have a stash of DE blades that I would never have gone through. My wife and daughter uses DE razors and they will never scratch the surface of them.

I still have a lot of Vintage razor I don't use.

I only use Schick Proline blades because the others blades don't work for me. If it wasn't for the Prolines, I wouldn't be using AC razors.

The GEM PTFE blade is on par with the Proline, and an excellent blade. I prefer the wider AC blade, but I can live with GEM razors also. I tried the L1 Sabre, I wasn't impressed by it. Never tried the L2. Too many vintage GEM razors to compete with.

I like the size and weight of the SE1, I have the 3" Atlas handle, it has excellent balance. I get BBS results everytime with no issues. I don't need it to be any more or less efficient.

My fingers were probably as twitchy as yours at some point. I have a stash of DE blades that I would never have gone through. My wife and daughter uses DE razors are they will never scratch the surface of them.

I still have a lot of Vintage razor I don't use.

I only use Schick Proline blades because the others blades don't work for me. If it wasn't for the Prolines, I wouldn't be using AC razors.

The GEM PTFE blade is on par with the Proline, and an excellent blade. I prefer the wider AC blade, but I can live with GEM razors also. I tried the L1 Sabre, I wasn't impressed by it. Never tried the L2. Too many vintage GEM razors to compete with.

I like the size and weight of the SE1, I have the 3" Atlas handle, it has excellent balance. I get BBS results everytime with no issues. I don't need it to be any more or less efficient.

I got the Kronos handle with the SE1 because of its looks. I was a little unsure because of the weight but honestly love the weight of the razor with it. I know the Vector is actually much lighter but it should give me a good variety.

I truly think one of the biggest issues with me is that I do not quite have the technique down with SE style razors. I have only been using them for about 3 weeks and shaving only once every 2-3 days so there is definitely more work to be done there. Todays shave, for example, with the SE2 was massively disappointing around the neck area. Nothing annoys me more after a shave than to be able to feel a few scattered hairs around the neck. Drives me nuts. Need to really work on my technique.

The Vector has kept my attention since I bought it. I don't even know what (DE) RAD is anymore, LOL.

I am curious about the SE1, however, as much as I really don't feel the need to try another AC format safety razor. I've kicked around the idea of buying a polished SE1 head and pairing it w/ one of my artisan handles.

I got the Kronos handle with the SE1 because of its looks. I was a little unsure because of the weight but honestly love the weight of the razor with it. I know the Vector is actually much lighter but it should give me a good variety.

I truly think one of the biggest issues with me is that I do not quite have the technique down with SE style razors. I have only been using them for about 3 weeks and shaving only once every 2-3 days so there is definitely more work to be done there. Todays shave, for example, with the SE2 was massively disappointing around the neck area. Nothing annoys me more after a shave than to be able to feel a few scattered hairs around the neck. Drives me nuts. Need to really work on my technique.

I have the Kronos handle also, I prefer the Atlas.

I've been using the SE1/Proline pretty exclusively for over 2 years now. AC razors for about 3 years. I started using DE razors January 2014.

I was shaving everyday, with the SE1 I don't need to shave everyday, BBS results usually last about 20 hours before I start to feel stubble. BBS results from a DE only lasts for about 3 to 12 hours depending on the razor used. I only shave once a week now, sometimes longer.

My technique is simple, I lather once and my razor doesn't stop until all stubble is gone shaving directly ATG.

I don't like to leave any stubble behind either, if I miss anything, I dry shave any remaining stubble away, usually after I apply my Nevia Maximum Hydration post shave balm.

I bought 3 SE razors at once: Colonial SS General, SE1, and Vector.
Love all 3 and many times I'll use 2 of them in one shave just to get play time with them.
Used Schick Proline in all 3

Conclusions:
Colonial gives smoothest shave. Not as efficient so I use it first pass as reduction.

SE1 is most efficient but just a tad rougher ( I can see it's one of those for those who like to "feel the blade."

Vector is more agile and maneuverable! I save it for under the nose and low on the neck.
I don't plan on getting rid of either of them.

Because:"Sometime you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't!"

Top Bottom