What's new

Comparing Timeless and Charcoal Goods?

I am looking for a comparison of Timeless SS and Charcoal Goods. I have tried a SS timeless .95 and absolutely loved it - but the Charcoal Goods lvl2 has me slightly second guessing my determination to get a Timeless. How do they compare in terms of blade rigidity, smoothness, blade feel, efficiency, etc?

I am favoring stainless for the metal.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I had the gen 1 CG L2 and currently have a .95 SB ti timeless. I think the timeless is better in every aspect with the exception of aesthetics.

I’m often an outlier, but I get a much closer and longer-lasting shave with my Charcoal Goods Level 3 than with my stainless Timeless .95 open comb.

I’ve only used the .68 Timeless, but find both Gens of the Charcoal Goods smoother and more efficient, the Gen 2 more decidedly so.

I found the charcoal goods to be too rough for me. I tried the level 2 and the 1. Raising the handle to "ride the cap" helped, but not enough. So mine's for sale.

Timeless... I love all gaps.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I own and use both razors, I honestly love them both! I think the Timeless has a bit less blade feel however I don't find the Charcoal to be harsh in any way. I do get a longer lasting shave from the Timeless. The only big difference for me is I think the Timeless you can use any blade and get a smooth comfortable shave, the CG I find works better with a slightly smoother blade like the GSB or Gillette 7OC. Of course YMMV, if I had to choose one to keep and one only it would no doubt be the Timeless.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Have the Timeless Stainless 0.95 and 0.68 SB and the Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2.

They are great razors. Some days I prefer the Timeless 0.68 SB, others the CG Brass Level 2. Use both for wonderful, close and comfortable shaves.

The CG, to me, seems a bit more nimble around my nose and chin but, again, both are top tier razors.

Kind of like deciding whether to drive the Ferrari or the Corvette. :)

I have a Timeless stainless smooth cap and guard .95 and I have a CG brass lvl 2 and stainless lvl 3.

I have to say that the Timeless head is harder to maneuver around tight spots and is bulkier in general. The CG brass is just simple and straight forward, similar to the Techs and New and is just a simple and efficient shaver.

Both are great razors and companies. Timeless clamps the blade more rigid, but has a larger head. Charcoal Goods is more maneuverable. I can get great shaves from both. The version 2 of Charcoal goods level 3 is smoother than version 1 to me. there is less blade feel overall with the Timeless but the level 3 Charcoal Goods is one of the most efficient razors in my collection, definitely in a different category than the Timeless .95 OC. I enjoy using both depending on my mood.

I must have had bad luck with Timeless. I purchased a Timeless and upon receipt noticed a large dent in the handle. I sent it back for a replacement and the replacement had sharp, unfinished edges around the base of the handle. It was like they were trying to get stuff out the door without QC. I didn't even contact them after I received the second handle because they seemed put out by my wanting to exchange the first. I enjoyed the Timeless for the dozen or so shaves, but couldn't get passed the shoddy finishing, at least in my case. Don't get me wrong, I should have sent the second handle back, but I decided to move on, eventually selling the razor. The head on the Timeless was also a bit bulky for me compared to my CG, LASSC and Wolfman razors I own. I received my Wolfman while I still owned my Timeless and this further convinced me that Timeless was not in the league of Wolfman or CG as far as finishing, at least in my experience.

My CG antique brass level 2 gives me a terrific shave every time. I have used it dozens of times and maybe once had a weeper. The sleek head is one of my favorites. Just a very uniquely beautiful razor with great audible feedback. If there is a quibble with CG, it is the lack of available inventory for product.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My CG antique brass level 2 gives me a terrific shave every time. I have used it dozens of times and maybe once had a weeper. The sleek head is one of my favorites. Just a very uniquely beautiful razor with great audible feedback. If there is a quibble with CG, it is the lack of available inventory for product.

Absolutely agree! :)

I have a Timeless stainless smooth cap and guard .95 and I have a CG brass lvl 2 and stainless lvl 3.

I have to say that the Timeless head is harder to maneuver around tight spots and is bulkier in general. The CG brass is just simple and straight forward, similar to the Techs and New and is just a simple and efficient shaver.
Interesting. I agree that the Timeless head is fairly bulky, but my experience in trying it was that because of the ideal angle in use, I had no trouble getting where I needed to go. I totally understand if some have trouble with this. I'm just not one of them.

And I don't especially like a tech-style razor. For some reason it just doesn't agree with me very well. I must be in a minority on that but it is what it is.

I appreciate all this input from everyone!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I have a timeless polished ti Sb 95, awesome razor but since I got my CG lv2,,, it has surpassed my timesless and she is getting jealous
I have the ss lv2 version Florian handle

proxy.php

Have the Timeless Stainless 0.95 and 0.68 SB and the Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2.

They are great razors. Some days I prefer the Timeless 0.68 SB, others the CG Brass Level 2. Use both for wonderful, close and comfortable shaves.

The CG, to me, seems a bit more nimble around my nose and chin but, again, both are top tier razors.

Kind of like deciding whether to drive the Ferrari or the Corvette. :)

+1

I have the brass CG L2 plate. From my perceptive the L2 efficiency sits between the Timeless 0.68 -.095 SB.
Both these razors are top shelf. The solution is buy both.

IMG_6583.jpgIMG_6584.jpg

I have owned both, still, own the Timeless Ti .95. The Timeless was a better shave and I could not justify owning both.

CG great looking razor and a good shave L2.

Timeless, superior shave and build quality.

A Timeless .95 scb in polished SS was my first quality DE. I used it strictly for a few months and received many good shaves with it. Eventually I moved on to a blackbird, and the timeless couldn't keep up so I sold it. I received a CG lvl 2 in SS a few days ago and had my first shave this morning. It was very good! I need a few more shaves before I get a solid opinion. Compared to the timeless it was lighter and more maneuverable. For that reason, I had an easier time shaving XTG and ATG. Fit and finish is top tier as expected. The blade is not clamped as well as in the timeless, but that has never been an issue for me. Geometry of the head must make up for it somehow. Both beautiful razors!
20200313_173750.jpg
20200313_173758.jpg
20200205_142723.jpg
20200205_142752.jpg

Top Bottom