What's new

Comparing The Overlander, Blutt BR-1 1.20 and Drakkant+ Razors

You Athena fans have me corresponding with Theo via email. I'm on the list for his next release. As I've posted here, I told him... the Athena is the most beautiful razor I've ever seen... and that's just from low rez photos online. I'm sure it's even more spectacular in real life.

I'm hoping that will be my last razor for a while. I have a small number by B&B standards but way more than I "need", that's for sure. I am fortunate though... all the razors I've purchased and tried have been stellar, each and every one. Yes, B&B enables us... but it also prevents ill-advise purchases.
Did Theo say anything about when he expects them to go on sale? Last I heard it was to be around the end of last month, so hopefully it won’t be long. I’d like to get an Ares - the Athena is the more impressive and newer design but I’d like an Ares to go with it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Did Theo say anything about when he expects them to go on sale? Last I heard it was to be around the end of last month, so hopefully it won’t be long. I’d like to get an Ares - the Athena is the more impressive and newer design but I’d like an Ares to go with it.
He just said: "I will add you to the waiting list for the next batch of Athena and I will let you know as soon as it is available again.

I will try hard to have the next batch available ASAP!

Thanks again for your interest!"

You Athena fans have me corresponding with Theo via email. I'm on the list for his next release. As I've posted here, I told him... the Athena is the most beautiful razor I've ever seen... and that's just from low rez photos online. I'm sure it's even more spectacular in real life.

I'm hoping that will be my last razor for a while. I have a small number by B&B standards but way more than I "need", that's for sure. I am fortunate though... all the razors I've purchased and tried have been stellar, each and every one. Yes, B&B enables us... but it also prevents ill-advise purchases.
I believe you will absolutely love the Athena...very efficient and mild along with being the most gorgeous razor available.

Gentlemen
In the past couple of months I have received these razors and had time to get to know them pretty well. I have previously mentioned the Overlander and its qualities so I thought I would do a comparative review with a couple of other (in my mind) similar shavers.
I used the same blades in each razor (Feather, PolSilver and Wizamet) and used them in the same rotation in each shaver. So each razor got each blade brand new, 2nd shave, 3rd shave and the final 4th shave.

I also used the same soaps on the same blade rotations for each razor.

The other thing I have been seeing in the last while is how effective each razor is as far as the WTG and ATG passes are concerned. I have been using a 2 pass system with a bit of buffing as my performance matrix.

I purchased these razors due, in part, to reviews by Mr.Shavinton, GlazedBoker and others. I have found these to be extremely comfortable and efficient razors. There are some subtle performance differences between them all, however I have been very pleased with each razors performance throughout this "competition".

When I first started with the OverLander, I felt it was a decent looking razor, nothing spectacular but with good weight and balance. Blade clamping is fine and there is some auditory feedback as you shave. I found WTG to be Ok with a bit steeper angle than some of my other razors. Once I went ATG it was amazing. Very comfortable and REALLY efficient. I just went Wow! Very little buffing required.

The Blutt BR-1 1.20 falls into the not really compelling looking but well made and finished with nice balance and weight. Not quite as steep an angle to begin with and not much auditory feedback which is fine. Nothing is as loud as the Flatboy in my arsenal anyway. The WTG pass , again was ok with the ATG pass being the moneymaker. I'm starting to notice a trend. A bit more buffing needed but still very nice smooth shaving.

The Aylesworth Drakkant is the most noticeable razor as far as looks are concerned. With a squared off cap and a very "tread-like" design for the handle it also has a nice balance and weight. Well-made with good fit and finish. This razor has the best grip while shaving. Again, an ok WTG pass followed by a much better ATG pass. I have other razors which do give a better WTG pass but they also tend to require a bit more attention to technique. Efficient and comfortable. Again a bit more buffing needed but still well within very acceptable limits.

All the razors need a wipe down after shaving to prevent water spotting. I polished the Overlander cap to minimize any possible drag and to increase the visual aspect to the razor.

Now as to the performance ratings. All of them have a very intuitive feel to them as far as shaving, with the Overlander having a slightly steeper WTG angle than the other two. All are extremely easy to use and forgiving...I have experienced zero weepers, nicks or cuts. This is surprising to me...plus I finish off with the alum block and very little stinging at all which did increase somewhat as the blades went through their uses.

The best WTG is very close between all 3 razors so I'm gonna call this a tie. All passes with new blades were very similar...the differences came as the blades went through the rotation progression.

The best ATG pass goes to the OverLander. Just an amazing pass. I never cared for the Karve CB razor, too fiddily with all the plates etc. But they really got this razor nailed down. 10/10
Next is the Blutt. Very smooth and efficient ATG as well with a bit more buffing required, also more nimble than the Drakkant. 9.3/10
The Drakkant comes in 3rd with more buffing and a bit less agile at 8.9/10. But still a really good pass.

All razors shaved well with brand new blades. All blades. The Feathers are my favourites with the PolSilvers and Wizamets tying for second.

I tend to use my blades up to 4 times depending on razor. This may be more than a lot of you but I find out which razors will work and which ones prefer less uses per blade.

Again the OverLander comes in first with excellent shaves going down to pretty good with more buffing by the 4th shave.
Second place goes to the Blutt at good with more buffing required by the 4th shave. A bit more irritation but nothing terrible.
Third goes to the Drakkant at ok with more buffing than I prefer but still the irritation wasn't to the point of avoiding collared shirts.

All three clear soap and stubble easily.

All have textured handles with the Drakkant being the clear winner, OverLander second and the Blutt coming in third.

All give me shaves that last all day with a bit of stubble into the evening. As the blade progression went through the stubble began appearing earlier with each razor, the Drakkant coming in third. OverLander first and Blutt doing second.

I can honestly say that I am more than happy with all three of these razors. Very comfortable, intuitive, smooth, efficient and easy to use. The biggest bang for the buck is the OverLander as well. I'm pretty sure I will be keeping all three of these shavers, reaching for anyone of them is easy and delivers great shaving. Cheers

View attachment 1532325
I will be buying the Karve Overlander (aluminum version) very soon.

Gentlemen
In the past couple of months I have received these razors and had time to get to know them pretty well. I have previously mentioned the Overlander and its qualities so I thought I would do a comparative review with a couple of other (in my mind) similar shavers.
I used the same blades in each razor (Feather, PolSilver and Wizamet) and used them in the same rotation in each shaver. So each razor got each blade brand new, 2nd shave, 3rd shave and the final 4th shave.

The other thing I have been seeing in the last while is how effective each razor is as far as the WTG and ATG passes are concerned. I have been using a 2 pass system with a bit of buffing as my performance matrix.

I purchased these razors due, in part, to reviews by Mr.Shavinton, GlazedBoker and others. I have found these to be extremely comfortable and efficient razors. There are some subtle performance differences between them all, however I have been very pleased with each razors performance throughout this "competition".

When I first started with the OverLander, I felt it was a decent looking razor, nothing spectacular but with good weight and balance. Blade clamping is fine and there is some auditory feedback as you shave. I found WTG to be Ok with a bit steeper angle than some of my other razors. Once I went ATG it was amazing. Very comfortable and REALLY efficient. I just went Wow! Very little buffing required.

The Blutt BR-1 1.20 falls into the not really compelling looking but well made and finished with nice balance and weight. Not quite as steep an angle to begin with and not much auditory feedback which is fine. Nothing is as loud as the Flatboy in my arsenal anyway. The WTG pass , again was ok with the ATG pass being the moneymaker. I'm starting to notice a trend. A bit more buffing needed but still very nice smooth shaving.

The Aylesworth Drakkant is the most noticeable razor as far as looks are concerned. With a squared off cap and a very "tread-like" design for the handle it also has a nice balance and weight. Well-made with good fit and finish. This razor has the best grip while shaving. Again, an ok WTG pass followed by a much better ATG pass. I have other razors which do give a better WTG pass but they also tend to require a bit more attention to technique. Efficient and comfortable. Again a bit more buffing needed but still well within very acceptable limits.

All the razors need a wipe down after shaving to prevent water spotting. I polished the Overlander cap to minimize any possible drag and to increase the visual aspect to the razor.

Now as to the performance ratings. All of them have a very intuitive feel to them as far as shaving, with the Overlander having a slightly steeper WTG angle than the other two. All are extremely easy to use and forgiving...I have experienced zero weepers, nicks or cuts. This is surprising to me...plus I finish off with the alum block and very little stinging at all which did increase somewhat as the blades went through their uses.

The best WTG is very close between all 3 razors so I'm gonna call this a tie. All passes with new blades were very similar...the differences came as the blades went through the rotation progression.

The best ATG pass goes to the OverLander. Just an amazing pass. I never cared for the Karve CB razor, too fiddily with all the plates etc. But they really got this razor nailed down. 10/10
Next is the Blutt. Very smooth and efficient ATG as well with a bit more buffing required, also more nimble than the Drakkant. 9.3/10
The Drakkant comes in 3rd with more buffing and a bit less agile at 8.9/10. But still a really good pass.

All razors shaved well with brand new blades. All blades. The Feathers are my favourites with the PolSilvers and Wizamets tying for second.

I tend to use my blades up to 4 times depending on razor. This may be more than a lot of you but I find out which razors will work and which ones prefer less uses per blade.

Again the OverLander comes in first with excellent shaves going down to pretty good with more buffing by the 4th shave.
Second place goes to the Blutt at good with more buffing required by the 4th shave. A bit more irritation but nothing terrible.
Third goes to the Drakkant at ok with more buffing than I prefer but still the irritation wasn't to the point of avoiding collared shirts.

All have textured handles with the Drakkant being the clear winner, OverLander second and the Blutt coming in third.

All give me shaves that last all day with a bit of stubble into the evening. As the blade progression went through the stubble began appearing earlier with each razor, the Drakkant coming in third. OverLander first and Blutt doing second.

I can honestly say that I am more than happy with all three of these razors. Very comfortable, intuitive, smooth, efficient and easy to use. The biggest bang for the buck is the OverLander as well. I'm pretty sure I will be keeping all three of these shavers, reaching for anyone of them is easy and delivers great shaving. Cheers

View attachment 1532325
I was just going through the thread and was wondering something:
Is your Drakkant the Standard or do you have the Plus+ plate?
The thread title just shows "Drakkant+" but nowhere else in the posts did I read anything about it!
Just wondering because from what I've read the Plus+ is supposed to be a big step up in efficiency & agressiveness!
LRod

I was just going through the thread and was wondering something:
Is your Drakkant the Standard or do you have the Plus+ plate?
The thread title just shows "Drakkant+" but nowhere else in the posts did I read anything about it!
Just wondering because from what I've read the Plus+ is supposed to be a big step up in efficiency & agressiveness!
LRod
I checked the bottom plate and beside the razor number is the "+". How it compares to the other plates I cant tell you. But the options are the regular, the + and the OC.

Gentlemen

View attachment 1532325
Great review; very detailed. I just order the Karve Overlander in aluminum. Can hardly wait to get my hands on it.

Top Bottom