What's new

Comparing my new merkur vision 2000 and merkur futur razors

I recently bought a new Merkur Vision 2000 and a new Merkur Futur razor. I have spent the past several weeks shaving with them and comparing them.

They both are outstanding shavers. I have about 75 DE and SE razors, and the Vision 2000 and the Futur are among the select best of all my razors for shaving efficiency and comfort. I can't decide which is better between the two. One day I would prefer the Vision 2000 and on another day I might prefer the Futur. So I rate them to be a 50/50 tie.

In my testing of the Vision 2000 and the Futur I used Merkur blades. These blades often are criticized by knowledgeable shavers, but in my experience they are very good blades in Merkur razors. Each blade would last for 7 shaves.

My whiskers are tough. I shaved with the Vision 2000 on the setting of O (which is about mid-range on the strangely calibrated dial) and with the Futur on a lower 1.5 setting. I had virtually no nicks or weepers during my 2 weeks of testing.

I found the appearance of the recently discontinued Vision 2000 to be modern, ponderous, and heavy, and it was like shaving with a powerful truck (meant in a positive way) giving a close, smooth, and audio shave. The only criticism I have of the Vision 2000 is the adjustment dial might move from its setting during use, or while cleaning, if not careful. It does require periodic disassembly (monthly?) for interior cleaning and maintenance, but I enjoy doing that sort of thing.

The Futur which dates from about 1983 has an appearance that is sleek and modern. It has a nice feel and a good balance. It has good design and engineering and and it shows evidence of precision manufacturing. The only criticism I have of the Futur is that there is a slight protrusion on one end of the snap-on cap that aids in snapping the cap off. It gives a slightly asymmetrical look. Psychologically, I'm a symmetrical guy.

I highly recommend the Merkur Vision 2000 and the Merkur Futur for close, comfortable, and pleasant shaves.

I'm also a Merkur Futur user, it is currently my only razor. I'm very happy with it. BSS every time. Never a nick or cut, set at slightly above 2. I alternate between Merkur Super Platinum Stainless blades and Feather High Stainless Platinum. Feather blades seem a bit sharper but the Merkur blades last longer. BTW, I have old guy white (is that really a color?) whiskers so maybe that's got something to do with it. Not sure if I'm willing to spend upwards of $150 for a Merkur Vision just to have one that can't possibly improve on my present shave. Though I have to admit to being intrigued by the looks of the Gunmetal Standard Razors that have just shown up at Maggard Razors.

Last edited:
hello to all at B&B:001_smile
i was waiting for very long and why not, asking at our forum a comparison of these very popular razors
very interesting
i would like to propose santamariasteve if he doesn't bother of course if he could upload pics of both razors wide open and at its lowest setting
also i suggest to our forum here if there is any possibility to rank merkur vision in the aggressiveness scale in shave wiki as it's missing
at last i would like to see and all other members of B&B if they've used both to express their opinion as i think that is the first direct comparison of both merkurs
warmest regards

Sorry but I don't have a digital camera.

I also have a Vision 2000 and had a Futur. The Futur just didn't work for me as the head threw me off because it is just plain big. I know the Vision also has a big head (amongst other things) but I find the Vision to be more maneuverable despite it's size. The pop top also threw me off as well as the the sleek handle. But hey if the Futur is good for you that's great. I use feathers exclusively in my Vision and Progress and find they shave BBS although they don't get more than 4 shaves with each blade for me. As far as cleaning the Vision I would clean it more than once a month as the soap residue does build up quickly. I usually clean it once a week and give it the vinegar soak once a month. A little WD40 around the adjustment knob and lock nut inside will keep it running smooth and will not hurt the finish at all. Happy Shaving!

Both are the only 2 razors out of many that I use that get counter space for me.

proxy.php

Top Bottom