What's new

Comparing brands...

The two blades you wouldn't use...

• Total voters
Hi all...

Like all here I love going back - for me anyway - to a nice DE razor. In my case that would be a Merkur 34c, using either Arko (mostly) but like a red bowl of Poraso using a economical Omega boar brush. Like many here I imagine, we've all probably bought a selection of Assorted Brands - this proved to be a good idea and here's my personal experience. Please keep in mind that it took me some time to re-experience DE shaving and to make good judgements.

Here goes:

Derby (any) and Shark (any): I would NEVER buy either of these again. I'm careful but these blades don't last, wear quickly and soon end up drawing blood, and lots of it.
Falcon and Voskhod: a bit better, I'll call either of these brands shaveable but definitely average at best in performance and/or longevity
Balzono: I iked this brand and found it better than average, yet still not my go to.
Gillete: Now we're talking, definitely above average in every way, only to be slightly superceded by -
Astra: great blade, very good and I'd buy these again.
Merkur: perhaps the best blade, but had only the one that came with my razor, and was the first blade I tried.

I hope that helps, but I must say it again: I will never use Derby or Shark again. I'd rather stop shaving...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I don’t think I’ve seen a falcon Arbuthnot it sounds bad. Lol
Voskhod seem okay to me though. Didn’t know they were related to falcon. Derby is my worlds worst.

I don’t think I’ve seen a falcon Arbuthnot it sounds bad. Lol
Voskhod seem okay to me though. Didn’t know they were related to falcon. Derby is my worlds worst.
To my knowledge Falcon are Pakistani carbon Treets and have nothing to do with the Russian Teflon coated Voskhod.

I've been cycling through about 25 different brands/models of blades, 5 blades of each mfgr, for about a year, and keeping notes. The only one on this list that I have not tried is the Falcon. I voted Shark and Merkur as my never use. My notes:

Derby Extra - averages 2 shaves, not particular sharp, but smooth enough as long as you are not trying for a close shave. If you use pressure in an attempt to get a BBS, they will bite or irritate you. Similar to Dorco 301, Vidyut Supermax, Astra SP. I consider all these below average and I'd use them if I have them, but wouldn't go out of my way to buy more.

Shark SS - averages 2 shaves, worked best in the Merkur 34c, but I found it a really tuggy blade that resulted in a patchy, uncomfortable, irritating shave. I have one left, then good riddance.

Bolzano - averages 2-3 shaves, then declines quickly. Nice shaver when it's fresh though. Wouldn't go out of my way to buy more just because of the price : performance ratio. I'd consider them about average in performance, but too expensive.

Gillette - well, that'd a wide net to cast. I really like any of the Russian made Gillettes, especially Nacet, Silver-Blue, and Sharpedge in the yellow pack. All good for at least 4 shaves, they play well in all of my razors. (Merkur 34C, a bunch of vintage Gilletes, and Razorock GC .68 and .84) Less a fan of the Indian made 7 O'clocks, Permasharp Green is good for 2 shaves then gets tuggy, Permasharp Black was rough from the first shave for me.

Astra - Part of the Gillette Russia lineup, and super cheap, but I'm more than willing to pay a little bit extra to step-up to the Silver Blue. SS seems sharper than SP, but neither one lasts too long. I'd consider the SS to be about average, SP below average.

Merkur - I find it to be a below average blade at a super premium price. For me it shaves about the same as the Derby, Dorco, or Permasharp Green, but 100 for 60 bucks? Nope. Would I use it, sure, on a day that I didn't need a super close shave. Would I buy it, no way. I can get 100 great Gillette blades for $14.

Derby

Been there, done that. Worked okay in Merkur 34. It's been years since I used a Derby, but I remember them being rough and tugging.

Shark : I really wanted to like this blade, simply because of the name and the Shark logo. Sadly my superficial criteria aren't born out by the performance.

Falcon: I don't know what this is.

Voskhod: An okay blade that generated a lot of excitement when it debuted. There are still people who love this blade, If you're one of them, you may want my stash.

Balzono: I've heard only great things about these blades, but never have tried one.

Gillete: Some great blades from PPI in Russia: the 7 o'clock, Polsilver SI, GSB, Gillette Platinums. Not a fan of the Indian Gillette blades.

Astra: Both green and blue are good, yeoman blades that do what a blade should do.

I was about to say I would never buy a Derby until I tried their Derby Premium just this week because it's been years since I used one of their blades. To much surprise, I received a fantastic and smooth shave. The difference between the standard and premium is night and day. Who knew?

I am not sure you can delineate blades by brand name only.

For example, Astra Superior Platinum blade are not sharp enough for me; I do not plan on every using them again.
However, Astra Superior Stainless blades work well for me. I find them to be both sharp and smooth./

Likewise, hate Shark Super Chrome blades, but Shark Platinum blades work quite well.

I hated Merkur blades sold as "ice tempered". I think they may have been produced by Timor. The Van der Hagen blades are also sold as "ice tempered" and are similarly poor, neither sharp nor smooth.

I also hate Derby Extra blades, but I have not tried the Derby Premium blades as the reviews I have seen do not indicate they are different enough to be worth trying.

For example, Astra Superior Platinum blade are not sharp enough for me; I do not plan on every using them again.
However, Astra Superior Stainless blades work well for me. I find them to be both sharp and smooth./

For me, Astra SS is also significantly more efficient and comfortably than the SP

I also hate Derby Extra blades, but I have not tried the Derby Premium blades as the reviews I have seen do not indicate they are different enough to be worth trying.

I thought the same thing, but I was definitely wrong. In a blind test, you would never associate the Derby Premium with the regular blades. They're sufficiently inexpensive that I would recommend giving them a try.

I was about to say I would never buy a Derby until I tried their Derby Premium just this week because it's been years since I used one of their blades. To much surprise, I received a fantastic and smooth shave. The difference between the standard and premium is night and day. Who knew?
Also, I think the standard Derbys are much better than they were a few years ago. I have some recent ones and I don’t mind them at all. Not my favourite, but I have no issues with using them for a couple of shaves. 3-4 years ago, not so much.

I would try any blade first to see how it works for me and will not rely just only on word of mouth. I have tried both Shark SS and SC. There are better choices out there and I don't see the need to buy more of the Sharks.

Derby extra & premium: Meh. Useable but not blades that I would buy again.

Shark:Haven’t used. N/A

Falcon: Haven’t used/heard of. N/A

Voskhod: Quality control issues on the tuck I have. One cutting edge sharper than the other. If that’s been corrected then I might give them another shot.

Bolzano: Haven’t used. N/A

Astra: I’ve used both the platinums and stainless blades and prefer the stainless.

Gillette: GSB, PermaSharp gold and 7 o’clock yellow are the ones that I’ve tried. GSBs are my favorite of those 3.

Merkur: One of my bottom 3 blades. Couldn’t get a full shave out of one

Interesting.

I keep a good bit of Derby Extra's on hand just for my '46 Milord. It rides smooth in it. It is not a blade I use for BBS as I cant do Against the Grain with it, but for a day off lazy shave I'm happy with it.

HATE Derby Premium. I couldn't get those things to do much for me other than turn my face into a warzone.
Along the same lines Merkur goes into that section as well. Terrible. Horrible. Like shaving with a cheese grater.

Can I add one more? Crystal blades. Can't get those to feel good in anything.

Merkur is far and away the worst of that group

What really puzzles me is how Merkur blades and be so expensive ($54/100 at West Coast Shaving), yet be so bad.

I put Derby Extra blades in the same performance category, but at the same outlet 100 of them are only $14.99. However, if you do happen to like them, you can get 200 blades for $13.51 on Amazon. At that price, they are a decent value if the blades work for you. Unfortunately, for me they do not work at all.

Top Bottom