What's new

Compare/Contrast: Mitchell's Wool Fat & Haslinger Schafmilch?

I currently own and use MWF and really like it.
It lathers well, feels great, smells pretty neutral (to my nose), and is packaged well in it's proprietary ceramic bowl with cool retro logo printed on the lid.

I am curious about the Haslinger, and bet i would like it, too,
but am thinking that it would be pretty redundant to the MWF?
Are there any differences between the two that can justify owning both?

Pricing is pretty negligible (once the MWF bowl is already owned).
Both contain Lanolin.
The MWF puck is a larger diameter which I think makes brush-loading easier?
Haslinger is just a bare-bones puck, so I'd have to figure out a suitable container.

Your input would be greatly appreciated...
(The best answer might be just to order a different Haslinger, like Marigold or Sage?)

Does anyone greatly prefer one over the other? and why?

I have tried neither, but I know @BigJ has them both (he has commented frequently on them). I'm curious to see what he has to say.

I would be remiss as a B&B member if I didn't state the unwritten--if obvious--rule: Why not have both? :p

Last edited:
First, please don't say both soaps are "lanolin-based." There is no such thing as a lanolin-based soap. Lanolin is an additive to some soaps and not to others, but has nothing to do with the soap itself.

Second, I have an opinion of Haslinger Schafmilch that differs from that of most people on this site. And I am speaking of the old formulation (have not tried any of the new formulation Haslinger soaps). It lathered easily and well, and produced a lather that made for a comfortable shave. I didn't like it much because of the scent. I know a lot of people say it is barely scented or that it has a mild, pleasant scent, but to my nose it was a rather overpowering, cloyingly sweet scent that I could tolerate at first but after a while became intolerable to me.

I might add that Cold River Soapworks also makes a soap that is very similar to the Haslinger product and, if I am not mistaken, is also at a better price point. You might want to solicit input about this soap, as well.

Reactions: nav
I would be remiss as a B&B member if I didn't not state the unwritten--if obvious--rule: Why not have both? :p

I built a DE Shave storage rack over the winter,
in part, to stave-off these B&B tendancies.
It is generous - can hold 12-16 soaps (depending upon container size).
An arbitrary self-limitation, but it is working so far. (a dozen soaps seems like that is reasonable-enough variety...)
So, at this point, if I add a Haslinger, then I need to PIF something to create a slot.

Last edited:
I had a puck of Hasslinger sheep milk non tallow... It was MEH, nothing to write home about.

Get one, give it a try. It's small and inexpensive. You can always use it as a hands soap or face wash or whatever one does with the soap one doesn't like for shaving.

First, please don't say both soaps are "lanolin-based." There is no such thing as a lanolin-based soap. Lanolin is an additive to some soaps and not to others, but has nothing to do with the soap itself.

ok - thanks.
I edited the text of my original post to be more accurate/representative...

I have used both soaps and like them both.

From my experience...
Schafmilch is much easier and quicker to produce great lather. Don’t worry that the smaller puck could make loading more difficult. I need 3 times the loading time for MWF and even then may need to come back for more.

The scent is different. I found MWF too strongly scented and had to air it out for a couple of years before using it. After that I quite liked the scent. Schafmilch has its own particular scent, which I find clean and light. There is something in it and other Haslinger soaps that I don’t smell in other products, perhaps a plain “soapy” smell that other companies mask with stronger scents. Some may not care for that, but it works for me.

I’d give Schafmilch a slight edge for post shave feel on my face, but both are good.

To me these two soaps are different and not interchangeable.

All Haslinger soaps perform similarly well though, so there’s no harm in trying a different flavour to see whether you like how it works, and try Schafmilch some time later if you do.

As for containers, an empty Proraso tub is perfect for Haslinger soaps. The puck fits nicely in the narrow bottom part.

I have used both soaps and like them both.

From my experience...
Schafmilch is much easier and quicker to produce great lather. Don’t worry that the smaller puck could make loading more difficult. I need 3 times the loading time for MWF and even then may need to come back for more.

The scent is different. I found MWF too strongly scented and had to air it out for a couple of years before using it. After that I quite liked the scent. Schafmilch has its own particular scent, which I find clean and light. There is something in it and other Haslinger soaps that I don’t smell in other products, perhaps a plain “soapy” smell that other companies mask with stronger scents. Some may not care for that, but it works for me.

I’d give Schafmilch a slight edge for post shave feel on my face, but both are good.

To me these two soaps are different and not interchangeable.

All Haslinger soaps perform similarly well though, so there’s no harm in trying a different flavour to see whether you like how it works, and try Schafmilch some time later if you do.

As for containers, an empty Proraso tub is perfect for Haslinger soaps. The puck fits nicely in the narrow bottom part.
That’s exactly how I store my Haslinger Aloe Vera 👌

In terms of performance I don't think there's much difference - both are excellent.

Personally I prefer the MWF, simply because it's a larger diameter puck and therefore easier to lather. And if you already own the ceramic bowl it's pretty cheap too.

I need 3 times the loading time for MWF and even then may need to come back for more.

these tales of MWF being difficult to lather are what prevented me from trying it for so long....
But, in my case at least, I've no issues at all: lathers easily for me and produces quite enough for a great shave.
My water is from a well, and is definitely on the "hard" side. Still no issues...
I DO "bloom" the puck each time while I shower, with a spattering of warm water. That probably helps.

MWF has a light sandalwood scent. Does Schafmilch?

I've found that I'm REALLY sensitive (in a "yuck" sortof way...) to anything Sandalwood and/or Musk.

But I don't have any aversion to MFW, at all.
So when you say "light", you really mean it....

These are the ingredients in MWF: Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

For Haslinger Schafmilch new formula: Potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, aqua, sodium palm kernelate, glycerine, lac powder, parfum, sheep milk, arachis hypogaea ( Peanut Oil ), lanolin, lecithin, sodium hydroxide, alpha-isomethyl ionone, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene caboxaldehyde, CI 77891.

MWF contains tallow while the new formula for Schafmmilch does not.

I find MWF to be a bit slicker than the new formula Haslinger. Unlike some others, I don't see a significant difference in making lather. I tend to use a soap for a number of days in a row and by doing that MWF, for me, it becomes much easier to make a lather.

I have and enjoy all THREE options: MWF, old ‘tallow’ schafmilch and the current ‘vegan’ schafmilch. All are excellent!

For me, the fat has the strongest scent. The ‘tallow’ schafmilch is my personal favorite based on performance. Three of the best performing soaps on the planet!

But what do I know?
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It lathered easily and well, and produced a lather that made for a comfortable shave. I didn't like it much because of the scent. I know a lot of people say it is barely scented or that it has a mild, pleasant scent, but to my nose it was a rather overpowering, cloyingly sweet scent that I could tolerate at first but after a while became intolerable to me.

When I finally got a puck of Schafmilch (new formula), I strongly disliked the smell. I haven’t used it yet, but I’m not optimistic.

I’m a big fan of MWF (including the gloriously light and neutral scent) and had good luck with a tallow Haslinger Sandalwood puck. In the past, I’ve found MWF to be noticeably less expensive per use, but neither could be considered expensive vs many current alternatives.

Top Bottom