What's new

Compare Charcoal Goods Level 1 (SB) to other razors

How does a Charcoal Goods Level 1 (SB) compare to the
- ATT m1 or r1
- Timeless .68 blade gap
- Wolfman .61 blade gap
- or any other razor you want to compare it to ( Merkur 34c; EJ89 )

It's milder than any razor in your list. Would compare it rather to a Progress on setting 2 /2.5 but with a lower profile or to a Karve with a B plate.

For me the mildest razor on your list would be the Timeless .68. A really smooth comfortable razor to shave with but still very efficient at the same time. I go three passes with this one and a fourth on my neck where it's a bit more difficult to get perfection. To me this razor is exceptional and one that I reach for when I want the most comfortable brainless shave.

I have a Charcoal Goods Lvl1 razor as well. It's a very nice razor that I reach for when I want a comfortable shave. For me I wasn't getting great shaves from it when I first got it but after using it for a couple weeks straight it just clicked for me and it's one that I definitely enjoy using.

The ATT M series is a very smooth comfortable razor to shave with. After using an ATT setup for years I've retired my ATT Kronos razor with the M and R plates as my travel razor. It's very enjoyable to use and it gives a nice smooth shave. Do know that the difference between the M and R plates is extreme. In terms of aggressiveness I'd put the M plate at a 3, the R plate at an 8 and the H plate at a 9. So the R plate isn't right in the middle but falls on the much more aggressive side.

As far as Wolfman goes I currently own a .48 and a .54 SB razors. I've owned the .61 as well but got rid of it when I picked up the milder versions. The .48 is the most comfortable of the WR1 series but it's still more aggressive than the Timeless, Charcoal Goods, and ATT M series razors. I also own a Wolfman WR2 in the .95mm blade gap and it is exceptional. To me the very best Wolfman razor that I own (including the BBS-1). It's like a slightly more aggressive BBS-1 that gives me a perfect three pass shave that's extremely comfortable. Just exceptional to shave with.

To put them in my order of preference for you.
1. Wolfman WR2 - I replaced the WR1 with the smoother more comfortable WR2. If you can get your hands on one of these you might want to do so.
2. Timeless .68 SB - an outstanding razor. I used this one every day for about a year and thought there was nothing better. I never knew a razor could be so comfortable to shave with.
3. Charcoal Goods Lvl1 - Another solid performer and a very enjoyable razor to shave with. The Lvl2 is surprisingly comfortable as well but much more efficient.
4. ATT M series - A very enjoyable well built razor. You could probably find a really good deal on this one via the BST.

The thing that stands out to me about the Wolfman WR2 and the Timeless .68 is how surprisingly efficient they are given the comfort and smoothness that they provide.

Others to consider would be a Raw Shaving RS-10. This is one I haven't tried yet but I've heard it is exceptionally smooth and comfortable to shave with. The mild plate with a Feather blade is said to be an outstanding combination.

Last edited:
Top Bottom