What's new

Commonly available vintage razors?

Say you were to attempt to get hold of seven razors for a set, but wanted vintage blades, what would be a good brand/model to try to track down?
Obtaining seven identical vintage razors would be tricky to say the least, but is there a razor or razors that were produced in high enough numbers to ensure a reasonable chance of success?

I bet you could get seven Boker Red Injuns for a really good price, and they have gotten pretty good reviews on this site. Also, aside from being quite affordable, they seem to be somewhat common.

its really going to depend on your price range. you could make a 7 day set out of DAs or wapis, or you could make a 7 day set out of dubl ducks.

Its probably going to be easier (and cheaper) to buy an existing 7 day set. they come up on ebay fairly regularly and sell from 200-300ish depending on various stuff.

Easier to buy a new 7 day set or a complete one.

Or buy 7 razors and just scale them in the same material.

Wade & Butcher comes to my mind. There are dozens on ebay at any given time. Bokers are quite numerous too. Gencos/Genevas are also pretty common.

What is it with Wade & Butcher?
I mean I know they are good razors, but the prices they fetch seem astronomical compared with other razors. There seems to be a niche within the razor collecting world just for Wade & Butcher.
Were they a prestige manufacturer at the time?
Are they really that much better?

What is it with Wade & Butcher?
I mean I know they are good razors, but the prices they fetch seem astronomical compared with other razors. There seems to be a niche within the razor collecting world just for Wade & Butcher.
Were they a prestige manufacturer at the time?
Are they really that much better?

Your joking right? W&B's fetch some of the lowest prices as well as some of the highest. I've gotten many W&Bs for under $10. The only ones that command large prices are the extremely rare ones. ie, minty "for barber's use" or 8/8 "The Celebrated" or 9/8" razors.

Also, any razor in near mint condition usually commands a high price. But usually less than what you can buy a new dovo for.

Yeah I guess you're right, it does seem to be mainly the big meat chopper ones that I see going for high prices.

Yeah I guess you're right, it does seem to be mainly the big meat chopper ones that I see going for high prices.

Yup. :wink: They go for so much that I'll even sell you mine for whatever the last meatchopper in that condition sold for on ebay. :biggrin: Heck, I'll even give you free shipping and knock 10% off. :lol::lol::lol:

People on ebay are crazy.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
It might take you a month but i'd bet you could get a 7 day set of Dubl Duck Special No. 1's. Many sell prior to restore and honing below 40 bucks a piece sometimes for opening bids. They would make a handsome reliable 7 day set.

Last edited:
You can probably make a 7 day set of goldedges.

Or wonderedges if your patient enough and have a ton of cash. :D I've had three come my way so far and two others that I could have purchased if I really wanted them. Lets see, thats... 5. Two more and I coulda had 7 wonderedges! Crazy!

You can probably make a 7 day set of goldedges.

Or wonderedges if your patient enough and have a ton of cash. :D I've had three come my way so far and two others that I could have purchased if I really wanted them. Lets see, thats... 5. Two more and I coulda had 7 wonderedges! Crazy!

I don't understand how you get so many razors...do you have an unlimited razor fund or something???:w00t:

My plan is to have a perfect five or six day set with each razor from a different country - so far I have England(6), Germany(5), Spain, and I just need one from France and Italy, and if I get the sixth one it will be from Japan but has to be an Iwasaki in 60mm length blade (which may not happen as the cost is ridiculous). Once I get my ultimate set (and a few extras that I like) then I will get rid of some of the not so special ones so I can knock it off with all this acquisition nonsense! Then I'll probably collect brushes!

Last edited:
My plan is to have a perfect five or six day set with each razor from a different country - so far I have England(6), Germany(5), Spain, and I just need one from France and Italy, and if I get the sixth one it will be from Japan but has to be an Iwasaki in 60mm length blade (which may not happen as the cost is ridiculous). Once I get my ultimate set (and a few extras that I like) then I will get rid of some of the not so special ones so I can knock it off with all this acquisition nonsense! Then I'll probably collect brushes!

My plan WAS to join these boards, figure out a razor that would keep an edge for a long long time (I was displeased with my razor of 6 years), buy it and be happy.

This is how that plan turned out!!! And that isn't even including my ugly ducklings..... Or my restoration worklog.
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt235/ltyau/Before After/DSC01106.jpg

Last edited:

Wow...I just realized that all six of my straights are from Germany... I feel so ashamed...

Oh, and maybe you could add USA to your list of countries and grab one of their multiple decent straight brands...fill out a full week set if you ever get your Japanese model...

Last edited:
Top Bottom