What's new

Common knowledge and honing

Hello gents! Just wanted to share some thoughts on honing with you! There are MANY ways to do this, many stones to do this, different strokes, strops, pastes, film etc. They all work! All of them will prepare a blade for shaving. Find one method that works for you. or better yet try them all and see what works best. Constantly knocking techniques , strokes, honing medium etc is foolish! Find your sweet spot and do just that. Scientific experiments are great, images as well. You may not like some of the techniques or edges produced by various honing mediums, GREAT! I have found what I like and what I dont, DOESNT MEAN that we all like the same thing. But that doesnt mean that one method is superior or inferior to any other. Have an open mind and prove or disprove whatever it is your doing to yourself. You have to believe your own eyes? Ok rant over! lol I think if we put the cumulative experience of everyone in here with free knowledge exchange and a better tolerance for each other, we will all benefit from this. And the new guys deserve more than what we have given them.

In this case it is about the destination not the journey. If the shave is good for you then then process to get there matters not.

Very True Indeed, I am working on trying more and more of them myself, but at the present time I have a set of stones and method of using them that works for me. I am a tinkerer though so I definitely plan to try more stones in the future:thumbup:

Extremely well stated

I think that they are all correct methods. The trick is getting the right person hooked up with the right method for them. We have among us people who can put an excellent edge on a razor in about every way possible to sharpen steel. Think about it, from agate to zulu we have it covered.

Agate to Zulu - A-Z, nice play.

Everything matters to me. I can shave with a Mach 3 and be exceedingly happy with the result but hate the process and the tools.
So Mach 3s are very low on the list of what I want to do.

First
How others do what they want to do almost doesn't matter.
What others like definitely doesn't matter.
What I like, or like to do - should not matter to someone else.

I've always been deeply invested in aesthetics, process and ritual as being a major components of modern society as well as being huge components in every individuals personal 'being'. That's me. Not everyone subscribes to that.
There's no denying history though.. so there's that. Guilds, dogmatic religions, etc.... so on and so forth.

I hone because I enjoy it. Whatever anyone enjoys is fine. I can say I don't like this/that - and that is also fine.

If I find any one thing to be important - it's to try stuff, all of it or as much as possible, without factoring in, too heavily, the 'opinons' of others.
If someone says something works, or worked, for them - no reason to not try is because somene else says it's going to be a disaster.
What's the worse case scenario? Irritation? Wooooooo. That red spot will come with experience so it's not a total loss and last I checked - no one died from irritation. Frustration, spending money, etc - all these things come with the game.
It's all just a lesson or a blessing. No reason to start range wars over it.

Bad advice exists - sure. But - at the end of the day, nothing we do could ever be considered to have caused a life-threatening situation.
Although - the loudest voices might present things as such - that noise doesn't make it so.

It's shaving. Nothing more and nothing less. Just shaving.

Top Bottom