What's new

Commander Peterson

Gentlemen,

Last month I began correspondance with a customer after he had purchased a Bottomgun Shave Mug as a gift for his father, a United States Navy CDR, Ret. You may remember my post in which I asked for advice to find the type of brush his father wanted to accompany the mug. Your suggestions were very much appreciated and helpful. He now also has a brush.

CDR Peterson, who was also a Mustang, was on the historic voyage of the first submerged circumnavigation of the world. On the 16th day of February 1960, the Triton took departure From Montauk Point, at the eastern tip of Long Island New York, and submerged as soon as the depth of the water was sufficient, and it was on it's way into history.

CDR Peterson has terminal cancer of the liver and pancreas. His birthday is July 25 of this month and will be his last.

This past week my family and I worshiped in church, we watched and listened to any of the countless radio or TV stations we preferred, we didn't endure the tirades of a tyrant. I don't always agree with govenment decisions but I can say so freely without fear of being shot. I enjoyed the overly abundant food at our annual family Independance Day bar-b-que. We also probably sent far too much money up into the air in fireworks. On that day, none of us personally thanked any verteran for his/her service to preserve the freedoms we enjoy. If you would like to join me in Birthday wishes or thanking CDR Peterson for his service to this great nation with a card or note, his address is below.

R.N. Peterson -- 1520 Seltzer Ct. -- Mechanicsburg PA -- 17055.
Sue

Modest – 1) having or expressing a humble opinion of oneself or one’s accomplishments or abilities, 2) reserved or shy, 3) not ostentatious or pretentious.

I know some men would not appreciate a letter along the lines “You don’t know me, but I got your address from a wet shaving forum and well I just want to say etc.”

The cliché of the modest hero is often true, and so the last thing he may want is a gushing patriotic letter from someone he has no connection with. In a situation such as this gentleman finds himself in I personally think it would be best left to family and close friends to express their appreciation.

So my posting was just to remind forum members of the possibility that this man may have a modest outlook on life.

Regards
John

yasuo200365 said:
Modest – 1) having or expressing a humble opinion of oneself or one’s accomplishments or abilities, 2) reserved or shy, 3) not ostentatious or pretentious.

I know some men would not appreciate a letter along the lines “You don’t know me, but I got your address from a wet shaving forum and well I just want to say etc.”

The cliché of the modest hero is often true, and so the last thing he may want is a gushing patriotic letter from someone he has no connection with. In a situation such as this gentleman finds himself in I personally think it would be best left to family and close friends to express their appreciation.

So my posting was just to remind forum members of the possibility that this man may have a modest outlook on life.

Regards
John
...or it is just as likely that it would mean a great deal to him, as he nears the end of his life, to hear that his service to this great nation is appreciated. Regardless of one's modesty, it is nice to know when your actions are appreciated.

Kyle said:
...or it is just as likely that.

So you would take the risk of annoying him would you?

Some people would not want their private life discussed on a public forum & have their address made public - this situation is different to Ray Dupont as he made his illness public knowledge.

Is this as much about making you feel good? Until you know more about the man you risk upsetting him.

Regards
John

John,
Please rest assured that I did not find the address on the internet. As I explained in my earlier post, I have corresponded frequently with his son. I helped him search out his former shipmates fairly successfully. The address was given to me 'to post' by his son.

The family will be the ppl. receiving the mail and reading it to him as they also read literature to him and his favorite poetry. He is not obtaining his own mail, he is quite ill in bed and on oxygen.

Please know I would never do such a thing as publicly display a persons home address for contact on my own accord.

I hope this alleviates your concern.
Sue

yasuo200365 said:
So you would take the risk of annoying him would you?

Some people would not want their private life discussed on a public forum & have their address made public - this situation is different to Ray Dupont as he made his illness public knowledge.

Is this as much about making you feel good? Until you know more about the man you risk upsetting him.

Regards
John
John,
I know Sue well enough to realize that she is a top-notch LADY who is extremely kind and giving. She would never have made the original post on this subject if she had not already done her research. While your concern and defense of this fine man is admirable, based on Sue's follow-up post we can all rest at ease knowing that there is, in fact, no conflict here.

To answer your question about this making me "feel good", who I choose to correspond with and my motivations for doing so are really none of your affair (no offense meant).

It is with a saddened heart I am posting this. Commander Peterson's son, Ray, advised me his Dad lost his battle with cancer at approximately 7 a.m. this morning.
God Bless you Sir.

Top Bottom