What's new

Commadore X3 and Colonel X2L purchase question.

I have an opportunity to purchase both of these brushes new for $120 even.
I mainly use hard soaps and prefer to face lather though when I use a bowl, I only do so with the puc in one of my steel bowls with lid. Lid off of course when making lather and put back on when all is dry.
My preference is smaller knots, 24mm is the largest for me. I'm sporting a gotee mainly because I have a deep dimple in my chin and it's a freaking pain to shave the hairs out. Can't tell you how many times I walked out of the house with toilet paper in there with a nice blood spot.
Anyway, 24mm and less is my sweet spot for handling the lather.
So is this a decent deal? Anyone know of a better one or suggestions on other brands with similar hair and dimensions?
Let me add, I prefer the Best for initial application and exfoliation. I'm a 2 pass guy, and enjoy my shaves every 2 to 3 days. And yes, I have 2 custom Silver Tips I rotate in when needed if I get the Feather, Poly, or Astra burn from a new blade. Luv those Alum bars!
Any suggestions?
Thoughts?
Thanks.

I had a Colonel X2L for a couple months but had to return it because it was shedding 20+ hairs a shave. I've heard others having this issue with Simpson brushes as well. Not to discourage you, just keep that in the back of your mind.

I had a Colonel X2L for a couple months but had to return it because it was shedding 20+ hairs a shave. I've heard others having this issue with Simpson brushes as well. Not to discourage you, just keep that in the back of your mind.
I've heard this about the X3 also.
I have an X2 and it's perfect, Never lost a hair from it from day one. Have thought about just getting another. Maybe that's the way to go.
Thanks for your input.

To answer your questions:
1. WCS has the Commodore X3 in best for $80 and the Colonel for $64. So $120 is a good price, for sure!
2. I love Simpsons and also prefer knots smaller than 24 mm. The Colonel and Commodore are fine brushes. I would also consider spending my $ on a single brush, a Chubby, Duke or one of the Fifty series.

IMO everyone on B+B ‘deserves’ the chance to try a Simpsons brush! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Which one/ones? That question is up to you!!

I have the Commodore X2 in best, and no shedding problems so far. It's my favorite brush. I plan on getting a Duke sometime this year.

I have the Commodore X2 in best, and no shedding problems so far. It's my favorite brush. I plan on getting a Duke sometime this year.
I have the Commodore X2 also, never lost a hair,did we luck out? A fine brush, works great for me.

1. WCS has the Commodore X3 in best for $80 and the Colonel for $64. So $120 is a good price, for sure!
2. I love Simpsons and also prefer knots smaller than 24 mm. The Colonel and Commodore are fine brushes. I would also consider spending my $ on a single brush, a Chubby, Duke or one of the Fifty series.

IMO everyone on B+B ‘deserves’ the chance to try a Simpsons brush! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Got it, Thanx for the input.

I’m not familiar with the Colonel X2L, but I can tell you that my Commodore X3 Best is one of my absolute favorites in my den. I don’t recall it ever shedding a hair, and it’s available brand new shipped to your door for $57 at Amazon. Best value in badger brushes, imho.

I’m not familiar with the Colonel X2L, but I can tell you that my Commodore X3 Best is one of my absolute favorites in my den. I don’t recall it ever shedding a hair, and it’s available brand new shipped to your door for $57 at Amazon. Best value in badger brushes, imho.
The Colonel is a different Handle than the Commodore.
I bought it because it was similar to my Dad’s shaving brush. That said; it has proven to be a wise purchase.
I am looking to purchase a Duke and a Trafalgar 1.
I also like the Keyhole handles.
Have you been to the Simpsons website?
Well worth a visit.

The Colonel was my first brush. I still have it—just used it today in fact. Nice knot and love the handle. The knot is very similar to a Duke 2.

I do want to try a simpsons brush, so I can see what all the fuss is about, and why they are so expensive.

I do want to try a simpsons brush, so I can see what all the fuss is about, and why they are so expensive.
If you have the scratch available, grab that Commodore X3 off Amazon for $57. It's the best price I've seen. (Thanks MTG jr.!) And if you don't like it, someone will make you an offer here. Maybe me! I luv my X2.

My Commodore X3 in BB arrived today - paid £45 new which is about $59 - can’t wait to use it. I have 3 Simpson’s now in BB & you can’t go wrong with any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom