What's new

Coming soon - Timeless and Charcoal Goods test drive!

So, I wasn’t planning to post more until I had longer term use of both razors. But have to say I shaved three times this week with the Timeless and I’m impressed. That unique “soft” feel I noticed on the initial shave is for real. And the results were fantastic - excellent shaves and great comfort that lasts throughout the day. Little to no late day irritation. This is kind of a breakthrough as the “mild” shavers I’ve used before like the Feather and Rocnel were good for comfort when shaving on consecutive days but I was never fully satisfied with the closeness of the shaves. I got a closer shave with the Timeless + Astra SP blade than what I was able to get with the Rocnel elite “mid” + Feather blade. This is definitely a keeper and it’s hard not to see it becoming a go-to razor for weekday shaving.

I plan to go back to the Charcoal next week and see how things go. Not sure anyone’s tracking this thread anymore but will post anyway in case it’s helpful.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So, I wasn’t planning to post more until I had longer term use of both razors. But have to say I shaved three times this week with the Timeless and I’m impressed. That unique “soft” feel I noticed on the initial shave is for real. And the results were fantastic - excellent shaves and great comfort that lasts throughout the day. Little to no late day irritation. This is kind of a breakthrough as the “mild” shavers I’ve used before like the Feather and Rocnel were good for comfort when shaving on consecutive days but I was never fully satisfied with the closeness of the shaves. I got a closer shave with the Timeless + Astra SP blade than what I was able to get with the Rocnel elite “mid” + Feather blade. This is definitely a keeper and it’s hard not to see it becoming a go-to razor for weekday shaving.

I plan to go back to the Charcoal next week and see how things go. Not sure anyone’s tracking this thread anymore but will post anyway in case it’s helpful.
The Titanium Timeless does it for me, it is by far my favorite Razor.

The Titanium Timeless does it for me, it is by far my favorite Razor.

I’m just looked at that online - great looking razor! Have you compared it to the SS versions? I could see maybe getting the polished Ti since I didn’t get polished steel. Curious how they compare in use. And obviously you are not helping with my RAD...

Yep Im tracking the thread. I'm wondering what you think about the charcoal level 3 is got one of been using in stainless steel .

I'm wondering what you think about the charcoal level 3 is got one of been using in stainless steel .

I’m going to be using the Charcoal all of this coming week and will post an update. I have the level2/gen2 base plate though, so I can’t comment on the level 3. I shaved with it tonight and it was fantastic. Can’t stop touching my face. I’ll need to be careful not to do this in public. Lol.

I think I’m going to be very happy with both razors. But will see how things go with consecutive day shaving. Very optimistic though!

I’m going to be using the Charcoal all of this coming week and will post an update. I have the level2/gen2 base plate though, so I can’t comment on the level 3. I shaved with it tonight and it was fantastic. Can’t stop touching my face. I’ll need to be careful not to do this in public. Lol.

I think I’m going to be very happy with both razors. But will see how things go with consecutive day shaving. Very optimistic though!
Lol, yep watch doing that in public, that's funny. We shavers totally understand, so make sure and double check any trouble spots you might have, lol.
I jump threads and didn't update myself on the back story. CG lv2 it is.

Well sorry this took so long - been busy! Did a half-dozen shaves with the Charcoal Goods level 2 razor over the last week and half. And what great shaves they were! I understand why this razor has so many fans. It is unique and beautifully made but also delivers. Level 2 was probably the right call for me and I got efficient, close and comfortable shaves. Both this razor and the Timeless I got along with it exist in the sweet spot that balances comfort and shave quality with my difficult beard and sensitive skin. I have razors that are mild and comfortable but don't give me close enough shaves. I have others with which I can get a incredible BBS, but they are more "special occasion" razors because of the careful, time-consuming process required to get that result. These two will take over everything else for day-to-day use. I think I'll probably go with the Timeless for consecutive day shaves given it's slight edge in comfort and the Charcoal when I have 2+ days of growth given it's slight edge in shave closeness.

I noted earlier that the Charcoal with magnum handle was quite heavy. I got used to the weight, but I felt that grip when wet was not quite as good as the Timeless. I ordered the regular handle and will see how that goes. Regardless, no buyers remorse with these two! They will get a lot of use.

I’m just looked at that online - great looking razor! Have you compared it to the SS versions? I could see maybe getting the polished Ti since I didn’t get polished steel. Curious how they compare in use. And obviously you are not helping with my RAD...
I have the ss polished and the Titanium not polished Timeless razors .95. I really do not see much difference in the shave itself except the obvious... weight. I prefer the Titanium for just that reason. The lighter Ti version is easier to control for me. The ss is equal in all other regards. Comfort, Efficiency, and quality. If you like a heavy razor go ss if you like lighter go Ti. Or just get them both!!!

Thanks for your write up about the Charcoal Goods razor. Just waiting on my lvl 1 OC to turn up. I could never decide on the regular hammered handle or the stinger... so I ordered both. Good to hear that you adapted to the extra weight.

I have the ss polished and the Titanium not polished Timeless razors .95. I really do not see much difference in the shave itself except the obvious... weight. I prefer the Titanium for just that reason. The lighter Ti version is easier to control for me. The ss is equal in all other regards. Comfort, Efficiency, and quality. If you like a heavy razor go ss if you like lighter go Ti. Or just get them both!!!
Completely agree about Ti, but still curious about Ti68 scalloped

So now I have both hammered handles (regular and magnum) and the size/weight difference is significant. I don't recall the pictures on the Charcoal Goods website showing this clearly so thought it would be worth mentioning for people still deciding what to get. The regular handle is shorter and significantly thinner and lighter. Total weight (with head) is 88 gm vs. 136.5. Only shaved with the regular handle twice, but I like it. For me it has better grip compared to the larger handle.

Brian has the weight and diameter of the handles in his description, but I agree with @rms I prefer the lighter hammered handle for easier maneuverability.

Charcoal Goods’ characteristic handle has gotta be the hammered or Bishop versions in their various versions. Even the Stinger handles are uniquely CG. The problem with CG is he offers too many unique and beautiful handles to go with those smooth level2 heads or efficient level3 heads. It’s a wonderful “problem” to have when choosing a razor.

Top Bottom