What's new

Coming Soon: "Repli-Speed"

Everyone is different but vintage razors appeal to me precisely because they are vintage. Modern razors, or even NOS unused vintage razors, are of little or no interest to me no matter how good they may be. I would much prefer a well used vintage razor ahead of an untouched mint example of the same razor, as the used ones have character and history to them. The more previous users, dead or alive, the better! I can just about understand the replica Gibbs Adjustable as the original is relatively hard to find and expensive compared to a Super Speed, but even so it would not interest me in the least. As for modifying the original to cover the blade ends, either it is a replica or it is not, blade overhang is not a problem that needs resolving in my book. 👍

Well said, Richard! - Exactly my position too on vintages/DPR’s!

Well said, Richard! - Exactly my position too on vintages/DPR’s!
I agree. However, I have several, so when I found the cased one in a pre display rack case (no holes on the bottom back corners) I just had to buy it. My other 2 cased ones are a later model made for display racks. And no instructions or pre-blue blade blade pack. I imagine men got razors as gifts and never used them as they already had one they really liked. Hence all these pristine vintage razors that turn up, seemingly tossed in a drawer and never used. I feel a little guilty for putting this beauty into yet another drawer....i guess I should give her a run! It was only 30.00 out the door.

NOS can still be had, I have 2 later NOS Super Speeds in the box for my sons but they cost me. I also have 2 NOS Techs I got for under $100. Not impossible to find NOS but not always described properly and some mint examples are not NOS. More of an auction issue.

I prefer vintage but wouldn’t mind a new version of an old classic. The .68 Game Changer is basically a stainless version of my prewar Tech and shaves the same. Heavier but feels exactly the same in hand and I use the same angle of attack. Most new razors are reproductions of old designs. Not necessarily in exact appearance per se, but the same with respect to other factors.

If there is a market for it, I don’t have an issue. I think stainless and or titanium reproductions would more interesting but that is me. A titanium Fatboy or prewar Tech would be fun.

Their replica Tech was originally going to be all stainless but they went with a zamack head. Lost interest at that point. Saw the repli-speed and agree it would be better to pick up an original, but that is my preference. I still have interest in what their replica Fatboy is going to look like. It was supposed to come out in 2019, but was pushed to the end of 2020. It might end up resembling the original but can’t imagine the internals and adjustment would be the same. That would be expensive to reproduce nowadays.

All my Gillette razors are DPRs!
I was thinking about this lately.....If I buy a vintage razor from another collector does it then cease being a DPR? Because a live person used/owned it in between? Or if it gets replated, then it's no longer a DPR? 😉 I mean, it's not like I dug it out of a grave. ..

I was thinking about this lately.....If I buy a vintage razor from another collector does it then cease being a DPR? Because a live person used/owned it in between? Or if it gets replated, then it's no longer a DPR? 😉 . ..
It seems you will never really know. There are over 350,000 veterans of World War II still alive today. The person who originally bought the razor could be a DP, or still among the living. If they are a DP, they might have sold the razor while they were still breathing.

I view DPRs just like any other heirlooms or hand-me-downs.
I mean what the heck. My first apartment was furnished in early attic and late relative.
Why not carry it through to toiletries?

Good point! Many of us live in dead peoples houses (DPH) and don’t give it a second thought.

So what was that bump you heard in the hallway late last night?

R

romsitsa

Sorry, but no. A replica is an exact copy, this is somewhat similar from a distance. And it has those flimsy doors and baseplate shared by all chinese tto-s.

Adam

Is it all brass?
😂
My guess is that it is an already mass produced Hunque O Junque with slight modifications to the handle, specifically the TTO knob. No thanks.

I had a bad experience with this guy. Was suppose to send me a razor and I never got it. I complained to Paypal and he agreed to send another razor and some blades. Never got it. Finally Paypal forced him to refund my money. Now I see he doesn't accept Paypal.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I had a bad experience with this guy. Was suppose to send me a razor and I never got it. I complained to Paypal and he agreed to send another razor and some blades. Never got it. Finally Paypal forced him to refund my money. Now I see he doesn't accept Paypal.
Sorry you had to go through that. Good thing you warn others so they don't fall for this, in my opinion, shady company. I think he preys on the newer wet shavers. I have also lost respect for some of the YouTube reviewers that shill his overpriced products. Interesting that they have no problems getting the razors, but you couldn't even after paying.

Here’s my favorite DPR!

The DP was even nice enough to tell me when it was purchased, leaving no doubt!

proxy.php

Top Bottom