What's new

Coming Soon: "Repli-Speed"

Just got the e-mail from Global Shave Club about an upcoming release of a new 1947 Superspeed clone. Pics didn't show the non-notched T-bar. Supposed to be brass & it's likely chrome plated instead of nickeled. They also tinkered with the blade gap. It costs more than an original, too. Wonder how they decided on the 1947 model?

People really like the late 40s Superspeeds; they are probably the most popular of all the Superspeed models. That's probably why they chose that model.

I wonder why they make them, though? Why make a Superspeed replica when there are literally tens of thousands of pristine Superspeeds still available in the wild, and for not that much coin? I just don't get it.

...I wonder why they make them, though? Why make a Superspeed replica when there are literally tens of thousands of pristine Superspeeds still available in the wild, and for not that much coin? I just don't get it.
The company can't make money unless they sell you a new razor. So, take a razor made cheaply in China and dress it up and market it to people who like the idea of vintage but don't want to shave with some 'icky' used razor. A razor that cost the company $3-4 gets sold to the consumer for $45-50. That's over 1000% markup. Viking Blades is doing something similar with a different flavor.

This is why much off the American industrial base has been off-shored. Companies manufacture very cheaply, but charge the consumer whatever the market will bear.

It does look pretty good and captures the styling of a late 1940s Super Speed. Using one would tell the truth about how good it really is. Personally, I will stick to the original, but for those that don’t want to use razors previously owned by dead people, this is a possible alternative for them.

I really like my four SS razors - one 1940's the other three 1950's. They all shave so smooth and comfortable!
Don't know how a newly manufactured clone would stack up to the vintage Super Speeds. Time will tell by those that buy them.

The three 1950's Super Speeds were each less than $10. The 1940's Milord razor was $18 so I probably would not spend $45 on a replica when I can get an authentic, vintage Gillette in great shape for much less $.

I wonder why they make them, though? Why make a Superspeed replica when there are literally tens of thousands of pristine Superspeeds still available in the wild, and for not that much coin? I just don't get it.

I guess for the segment of buyers who only want new items.

My son had the cheap RazorRock TTO and, in the hand, you could tell how cheap it really is. It shaved fine but wasn't appealing to me. This head on the razor pictured has a similar look to it, making me think this isn't worth the $45 they're trying to get for it.

I guess for the segment of buyers who only want new items.
...This head on the razor pictured has a similar look to it, making me think this isn't worth the $45 they're trying to get for it.

I think it is essentially the same as the razor sold as a Van der Hagen Tradition on Amazon for $15. It just has a nicer handle.

These and the Red Tips are my favorite Superspeeds. I just found a mint cased one with the instructions and unopened blades that cost less than this imposter. 😂

I also noticed that the company is releasing a Fatboy replica in the fall. It would be nice to see them modify the head to cover the blade ends. It will be interesting to see how this razor compares to the original.

Top Bottom