What's new

Coming out of the shadows.

Hi folks,

I've been lurking for a few weeks, and finally came out of the shadows for the Septmber Lurker PIF that HDStreetGlide is so graciously sponsoring (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Soap.-Schick-Krona-giveaway.?referrerid=45955).

I kind of went overboard on that thread introducing myself, so here I'll just say "hey" and "thanks for helping me figure out how to get started" and then sum up my recent conversion. So:

Hey! Thanks for helping me figure out how to get started!

I went from 20 years of MBM shaving to DE shaving about five weeks ago, and I feel like I have hit my stride through a combination of Leisureguy's book and the vast experience being shared by the members of B&B.

I decided on a long-handled Merkur 38HD Barber Pole as my first DE razor. My first DE shave, with the Merkurs that came with the razor, could probably be best classified as an FKS: "Freddy Krueger Shave". I bled, I burned, I bumped. I cursed. I questioned my sanity. :cursing:

I let my face heal for a couple of days, then tried again. Better. After trying Merkurs, Crystals, and Treet Dura-Sharps, I settled on using Derbys as my learning-curve blades. I started getting consistently DFS with the Derbys after about a week and a half of practice.

Since I got comfortable with the razor and the blades, I've had great fun trying a few different soaps and creams. So far I've come to love Ogallala Bay Rum & Sweet Orange soap--not only is it a great smell and a great lather, but I haven't had a spot of acne in my shaving area since I started using it. (Aside: could it be the clay?) I also really enjoy using the whole line of Proraso products from pre-to-after shave. The menthol zing is a beautiful thing, but it's a little much on the chillier mornings we had in last week's cold snap.

This whole realm of wetshaving reminds me of an ancient quote about chess--it's a sea in which a gnat may drink and an elephant may bathe. Thanks again for all the sage advice as I take my first sips from this sea--I'm sure with your guidance and examples I'll be bathing in it soon enough!

Last edited:
Welcome from another newbie, a reconverted convert. mantic59 has some very good instructional videos on YouTube that are really helpful, at least for me. On my return to DE shaving I also
bought a Merkur, a 20C. First DE shave in 45-50 years is tonight and I have the septic pencil ready to roll!

Welcome! Glad to hear you have taken to heart the advice of NO PRESSURE.

Funny thing: I heard a very similar aphorism of the sea, not about chess or shaving, but Arabic grammar. There are many such fields of study, I suppose. Maybe it was inevitable that my Arabic teacher would incline this way. :001_smile

Top Bottom