What's new

Coming out of the doldrums.

For the last year or so, I haven't been doing much to advance my pen mania. This summer, I bought a clear Prera (CM) to replace one that I lost going through a TSA check a year or so ago, and I also picked up a bottle of Iroshizuku Syo-ro. I use them both quite a bit, but neither one of them excited me very much. I write with FPs every day, and I always have three or four in a case in my bag, but I guess I haven't been very enthusiastic about it.

Instead of being happy that my obsessiveness had trailed off, my wife and daughters got worried about me. They spent some time last month reading through threads here. James' review of Herbin's Bleu Ocean got their attention (they thought the bottle looked cool) and they got it for me for my birthday. This morning when I started working, I pulled out my Pelikan 400 and filled it up. Very nice indeed. I'm feeling those familiar stirrings again. I hope they don't come to regret what they did!

Welcome back :thumbup:

I went through a phase where I wasn't as enthusiastic about getting new stuff, like you. Now it's back with a vengeance LOL

Look at it this way, they can't tell you that you have a problem, if they encouraged you and brought you out of the shadows.

What pens are you looking at?

a very rare SWMBO enable, I've only ever heard if this, I never thought I'd actually live to see it thought

wow Chris, harpy belated birthday, and best of luck lol,

btw, have you seen the herbin stormy grey, with the guild flake in it?

Ha, now that's awesome. Sounds like you have a wonderful Family! I find myself in your shoes with regards to FP's, and I only use one or two on a daily basis. Once I found a couple that I liked and worked for me, I suppose I just stuck with them. My variety comes in dip pens and brush pens, but they're impractical to use for everyday writing. I own a TON of FP's that I've picked up along the way, and I suppose I should sell or trade them off to someone who will love them like they deserve.

I've had my eye on Guild flake for awhile now...it's nice! Congrats again, and Happy belated birthday!

I keep using a Pilot Vanishing Point and practically nothing else. I keep waffling between selling down the collection to just a couple pens, or forcing myself to start a regular rotation. The house we just bought is keeping me in the fountain pen doldrums. That said, I've been through two phases where I thought I was out of the woods, regarding FPAD, but it seems the best I can hope for are periods of dormancy.

-Andy

I've seen the grey advertised, but I haven't felt tempted yet. I have a bottle of Fuyu-syogun that pretty much covers my grey itch. Of course, Herbin makes a pretty nice ink, so I could be persuaded. Now as to what new FP I want...

You know I dont think I would know what to suggest, I only ever see your spontaneous smaller pens you have, not sure which ones you actually hunt down for yourself

...This summer, I bought a clear Prera (CM) to replace one that I lost going through a TSA check a year or so ago...

...Losing a FP through a TSA check? Please tell us more!

That was my first thought! The last couple of times I've flown, I have had a couple of my favorite fountain pens in my carry-on. I hope you mean that it fell out of your bag, not that it was confiscated.

These obsessions never quite go away. Unless actual collecting is your focus, there has to come a time when getting more stuff seems pointless, and you just want to use what you have...for a while.

You know I dont think I would know what to suggest, I only ever see your spontaneous smaller pens you have, not sure which ones you actually hunt down for yourself

I think I'll reawaken my quest to find a nice vintage Pelikan. But I'm open to suggestions!

Losing a FP through a TSA check? Please tell us more!

I was carrying a computer bag that had a bunch of other gear in it--a digital camera, audio recorder and some other things. They kept sending it back through the scanner after turning the bag in a different direction. At some point, the flap came open and the pen fell out. I had been writing something just before getting to the check point and, instead of putting it back in the case, I slipped it into one of the pen loops inside the bag. Normally it wouldn't be a problem because it was zippered into a pocket. But that came open too. I don't think anybody stole or confiscated it. I think it went onto the conveyor belt, then fell off that into oblivion. By the time I noticed, it was too late to go back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom