What's new

Coming Aboard

Been lurking here for a year or so, maybe more, so decided to join. There is so much knowledge here that I'm grateful to have found this forum.

I started traditional DE shaving in the mid-90s with a razor given to me by a Russian friend. Used it for 20 years or so until I looked for something different to add (still use the original razor in my rotation). Found micromatics and loved them. I am a neck and head shaver as I am attached to my beard way too much to shave it off.

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here and don't be afraid to ask anything now that you can. Micromatics are fun, but can be a bit mild. Have you thought about getting into injectors or Artistist Club razors(my personal favorite)?

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time here and don't be afraid to ask anything now that you can. Micromatics are fun, but can be a bit mild. Have you thought about getting into injectors or Artistist Club razors(my personal favorite)?
Tried injectors, but never really gone on with them for some reason. I still have injector blades that I use in my micromatics when I want to spice them up a bit (thanks to a post I saw on here). I figure the AC razors would be the same, plus I shave my head so don't need that wide a blade. Although being on here and seeing AC razors is tempting.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. Thanks for checking in with us and sharing your experience with us.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
paging @Old Hippie, please pick up the red phone...

ZZzzzzZZzzzzZZ...*snort*...whazzat?

Heh...:)

First, welcome aboard, Angus!

Head shaver, check; beard, check. Me too.

You have put your finger on exactly what I've been muttering about AC blades for a while. Given your handle, I'm guessing you've been accused of being a "cheap Scot" a few times in your life. I was always taught the correct word is "frugal." (Those who track my occasional razor purchases may argue that I am neither cheap nor frugal.) In the case of the blades, however, I tend to believe that a blade that costs me twice what a nice DE blade costs me should give me twice as many shaves. Silly of me, I know, and I've pretty much short-circuited that by saying, "shaving is a hobby." If something is a hobby you'll spend money fiddling with it and be OK with the expense.

But the fact is that I only get 50 per cent more shaves for double my money. I also used to have an ATT SE2 razor, and found that the only way I could tame that thing to the point that I felt safe using it was to go steep-angle, which killed off the blade in three shaves. I'll leave the math for the student.

All that grumpiness being smeared on your screen now, there are some AC razors that might be of interest to you in your exploration of the hobby. RazoRock's Stainless Hawk V3 is a lovely razor and I like the balance when paired with their UFO handle.

I found the SB version more congenial than the OC, even though I tend to prefer OC razors just a bit. The reason was that the OC plate is in the "Jaws" pattern with wide tooth spacing. I had both, got rid of the OC. I could probably use it now, as a year later I still have not grown back the skin tags, bumps and old scars that the Hawk V3OC so elegantly removed along with the hair. I keep the V3SB in my rotation and use it whenever nine lovely shaves in a row appeals to me.

The other AC razor that I can recommend in several ways is the Above the Tie X1. The X1 is a quirky beast, but it's a friendly kind of quirky rather than "gimme all your money or I'm-a gonna cut you" quirky. The X1 is a slanted AC razor, which really blows my kilt up because I like slants. Compared to ATT's other AC razors (SE1 SB and SE2 OC, both of which I've used) the blade gap and exposure are less and the razor feels somewhat mild though hella efficient.

Of course you can also explore "replaceable blade straight razors" that take AC blades -- Feather SS, SR, DX or their clones; Kai Captain, Kasho Woody etc. or their clones; there are others. As an occasional user I find them interesting but I'm coming to realize they're not my central kick.

O.H.

ZZzzzzZZzzzzZZ...*snort*...whazzat?

Heh...:)

First, welcome aboard, Angus!

Head shaver, check; beard, check. Me too.

You have put your finger on exactly what I've been muttering about AC blades for a while. Given your handle, I'm guessing you've been accused of being a "cheap Scot" a few times in your life. I was always taught the correct word is "frugal." (Those who track my occasional razor purchases may argue that I am neither cheap nor frugal.) In the case of the blades, however, I tend to believe that a blade that costs me twice what a nice DE blade costs me should give me twice as many shaves. Silly of me, I know, and I've pretty much short-circuited that by saying, "shaving is a hobby." If something is a hobby you'll spend money fiddling with it and be OK with the expense.

But the fact is that I only get 50 per cent more shaves for double my money. I also used to have an ATT SE2 razor, and found that the only way I could tame that thing to the point that I felt safe using it was to go steep-angle, which killed off the blade in three shaves. I'll leave the math for the student.

All that grumpiness being smeared on your screen now, there are some AC razors that might be of interest to you in your exploration of the hobby. RazoRock's Stainless Hawk V3 is a lovely razor and I like the balance when paired with their UFO handle.

I found the SB version more congenial than the OC, even though I tend to prefer OC razors just a bit. The reason was that the OC plate is in the "Jaws" pattern with wide tooth spacing. I had both, got rid of the OC. I could probably use it now, as a year later I still have not grown back the skin tags, bumps and old scars that the Hawk V3OC so elegantly removed along with the hair. I keep the V3SB in my rotation and use it whenever nine lovely shaves in a row appeals to me.

The other AC razor that I can recommend in several ways is the Above the Tie X1. The X1 is a quirky beast, but it's a friendly kind of quirky rather than "gimme all your money or I'm-a gonna cut you" quirky. The X1 is a slanted AC razor, which really blows my kilt up because I like slants. Compared to ATT's other AC razors (SE1 SB and SE2 OC, both of which I've used) the blade gap and exposure are less and the razor feels somewhat mild though hella efficient.

Of course you can also explore "replaceable blade straight razors" that take AC blades -- Feather SS, SR, DX or their clones; Kai Captain, Kasho Woody etc. or their clones; there are others. As an occasional user I find them interesting but I'm coming to realize they're not my central kick.

O.H.

Frugal is a good word, not used near enough. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice on the RR razors. I've looked at them, but so far haven't pulled the trigger on one. I did purchase a RazoRock Eco to see if I like it. I have a Yaqi Katana that I think is great, and the fact that I can use the DE blades makes it even better. We'll see how the Eco compares.

A question on the Hawk's, how are they with a steeper angle? I am a habitual steep angle shaver so kind of curious.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
A question on the Hawk's, how are they with a steeper angle? I am a habitual steep angle shaver so kind of curious.

With the Hawk or the X1, two reasons I haven't gone steep: haven't needed to; and I can get nine shaves on a blade without it. My experience going steep with an AC blade was that it lasted three fairly good shaves and number four was a gritty kitty for sure.

I've only tended to go steep in special circumstances. Once things arrive up here at our lonely little cabin by the North Thompson I'll be trying out a "devette" or guardless DE razor and THAT will be a steep shaver for sure from what I hear.

With the Hawk V3SB or the X1, I just try to stay in the middle of the range of angles that seems to generate the most cutting. As you may have noticed when head shaving in some places the angles change pretty quickly and one might "pre-set" the upcoming correct angle by going slightly outside the shave window either toward the cap or bar/comb when approaching that spot.

O.H.

Been lurking here for a year or so, maybe more, so decided to join. There is so much knowledge here that I'm grateful to have found this forum.

I started traditional DE shaving in the mid-90s with a razor given to me by a Russian friend. Used it for 20 years or so until I looked for something different to add (still use the original razor in my rotation). Found micromatics and loved them. I am a neck and head shaver as I am attached to my beard way too much to shave it off.
Hello and welcome.

I started to DE shave about 8 years ago myself. I used the forums back when I started to get my bearings. Then disappeared for years.

It wasn’t til recently that I came back. I wanted to dive more in to everything. I’ve been using the same razor and brush until the past few weeks, I wanted to mix things up and try a new razor and upgrade my brush.

Everyone here has been absolutely more than helpful, even though I’m sure I’ve asked the same questions that have been answered a million times 🤣 everyone still jumps in and helps without a hesitation.

It’s been a great community to chat with and research information on.

Top Bottom