What's new

Comet NEOWISE

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There's a naked-eye comet in the Northeast, for those inclined to see it.

Summer haze and a few other challenges, but it's definitely there; I just saw it (9x60 binocs). Comets tend to be quite unpredictable, in terms of visibility.

Here's more info:

Edit: twinkling, lots of atmospheric disturbance this morning. Humidity means leaving binocs out half hour early for fogging to clear.

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The dinosaurs did not look up at the bright new object in the skies. o_O

Do not be the dinosaurs. :oops: Only comes once every 6,800 years!

Comet NEOWISE will be in the northwest skies soon; a bit easier for the non-early-birds. 👨‍🚀

AA

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I took my kids out last night and while it was visible to the naked eye, it was just a fuzzy dot to me. With binoculars it was pretty cool and the tail clearly visible. Nothing like the extraordinary 1997 Hale-Bopp comet, but still awesome.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, this afternoon’s storm clouds moved out into the Gulf and obstructed the view. Setting my alarm for tomorrow am. I very much remember getting up in the tree in my yard to see Hale-Bopp in ‘97.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Light pollution is everywhere!

I've done another thread on Starlink. Also amazing to see, especially the day or two after launch, but the are really annoying the scientific community.

AA

I've done another thread on Starlink. Also amazing to see, especially the day or two after launch, but the are really annoying the scientific community.

AA
I can’t imagine the scientific community getting annoyed. They are such reasonable and forgiving folks.

Don’t wear a mask it won’t help and could be bad for you. Everyone must be wearing masks. Pass a law!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I meant the new thread on Starlink.

This is the one I meant ...

Must admit - my Starlink observations were more exciting than the comet!

AA :lol:

Best shot yet tonight. We had a clear look at the Big Dipper, but the lightest cloud cover in the area the comet should be tonight, to the west of the Big Dipper and about even with its lowest 2 stars. Going to check again in a little bit, but there are more clouds moving out to the Gulf.

Top Bottom