What's new

Come along on "My Adventures in Decantery"!

Hi Old School! I don't know about other people, but I decant for several reasons.

1) Plastic bottles (which most splashes come in) tend to impart an odd scent to aftershaves. I've had one or two that did this, so, now I decant almost all splashes I get into glass promptly. With as much as the stuff costs I don't want to waste any because they went sour - or worse!

2) Older glass bottles had class and style. Most new plastic bottles look like they came off an assembly line at 1000 per minute. There's just something cool about picking up an embellished glass bottle to slap on some scent.

3) Many Avon decanters came in neat idea bottles. Add's alot more color to my shave den then a line of boring cheapo bottles. Car people could have car bottles, musicians could have a line up of instruments, Avon just had a great advertising department back in the day. Now that I'm getting into decorating old bottles I have lots of inspiration to choose from.

Hi Old School! I don't know about other people, but I decant for several reasons.

1) Plastic bottles (which most splashes come in) tend to impart an odd scent to aftershaves. I've had one or two that did this, so, now I decant almost all splashes I get into glass promptly. With as much as the stuff costs I don't want to waste any because they went sour - or worse!

2) Older glass bottles had class and style. Most new plastic bottles look like they came off an assembly line at 1000 per minute. There's just something cool about picking up an embellished glass bottle to slap on some scent.

3) Many Avon decanters came in neat idea bottles. Add's alot more color to my shave den then a line of boring cheapo bottles. Car people could have car bottles, musicians could have a line up of instruments, Avon just had a great advertising department back in the day. Now that I'm getting into decorating old bottles I have lots of inspiration to choose from.
Alright I'm sold on giving it a try, and went all in at $11 shipped on this ebay avon Bugatti decanter.
I searched 1974 avon decanter (birth year) and this jumped right out to me. I'm a car guy, and sadly believe this will be my only Bugatti 😔.
51IhjIqdqJL._SX450_.jpg

Here's my completed Packard Roadster bottle. It was alot harder to do than I thought! But I think it came out OK.

The glamour shot.
IMG_7830.JPG

Last edited:
A few B4 and after shots to remind everyone where it came from.

Attachments

• IMG_7740.JPG
    IMG_7740.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7826.JPG
    IMG_7826.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7741.JPG
    IMG_7741.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7827.JPG
    IMG_7827.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 11
And some more!

I learned quite a bit from this project. Namely, I need finer brushes. And steadier hands. And more patience! lol

And like a dufus, I didn't check the fastness of the dried paint before proceeding! When one applies A/S, some invariably gets from you hands back onto the bottle. And I don't know if the enamel model paint will resist the alcohol 40. I really don't want to apply brown and tan coloring to my face. So, this bottle will probably just be decorative and not used for storage.

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• IMG_7744.JPG
    IMG_7744.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7761.JPG
    IMG_7761.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7831.JPG
    IMG_7831.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
My brother asked why I used pink on the fenders. It's actually light tan - the camera flash makes it look pinky!

No projects, but a "decantery" question... I'm using an antique glass bottle with an rubber stopper for my Clubman, but would like a restrictor for it. Are restrictors available to fit antique bottles? If so:
  • From where?
  • What are the critical measurements?
  • Do they work with a traditional stopper, or do I need to McGyver it into a standard cork?
  • If the bottle is "minimally open" to the air, will the scent inside degrade?

I've bought from these guys before. I didn't know what size I needed, so I grabbed 10 of the three different sizes. (It helped on the shipping). Most were too small for my A/S purposes, though some have been used since.

Been awhile since I posted. I've been contemplating ideas and looking for suitable bottles.

Several ideas have come up but haven't been able to get them going. But I found this Casey's Lantern bottle today. Pondering stripping the gold off of it but preserving the crimson on the lenses. Then maybe mounting it on a cup coaster that has bright LEDS in it, powered up it should glow nicely and maybe even put a disco ball pattern on the ceiling! lol

IMG_7859.JPG

IMG_7860.JPG

Here we are after two applications of Citristrip. The maroon came off too, so, a bit bummed at that. But the bottle has alot of bumps and indentations on it - I think shooting a light up through a "baseplate" could really be cool if it were filled with colored liquid.
Another idea is widen the hole in the top with a diamond bit and a dremel and hang some hi output LED's in the bottle. Hmm - have to think about it.
Or I could just use it for bulk storage of splash. Ten ounce decanters aren't all that common so it could hold alot of extra aftershave.

IMG_7867.JPG

IMG_7869.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I tested the decanter with a LED flashlight. Bottle itself glowed brightly but the glass is of such poor optical quality it only makes a diffused light pattern on the ceiling. So, I think I'll just use it for bulk storage.

IMG_7870.JPG

What’s the best method for cleaning old AS residue in decanters? Just soak in soapy water? Some vinegar?

What’s the best method for cleaning old AS residue in decanters? Just soak in soapy water? Some vinegar?

I use a strong alcohol like Everclear to dissolve dried out splash residue, then rinse with water and use a final rinse of witch hazel which I leave in the bottle for a few days to try and minimize the original scent. This was if I decant somethin else in there I don't get a weird hybrid odor.

Top Bottom