What's new

Come along on "My Adventures in Decantery"!

OK gents, my Tabasco bottle project is progressing.
I painted the five caps, and managed to get all the labels and adhesive off. I believe I have enough flow restrictors for all five as well.
All that was the easy part! Now I've gotta come up with some catchy labels and a display stand to hold them. (I'm thinking a Bay Rum, a Lime, a Wood, something Smokey, and maybe an Aquatic).

But I figured you all might enjoy seeing the process.

Attachments

• IMG_7749.JPG
    IMG_7749.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7750.JPG
    IMG_7750.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 22
Gentlemen, these all look very nice, but for me, with arthritis in my hands, and ceramic tile bathroom flooring, glass bottles could be a disaster.

No problem, BobbyB. I ordered some flow restrictors from this company - and they keep sending catalogs! :facep:

They do sell plastic bottles. So, you can get in on the decanting fun, too!

I painted the five caps, and managed to get all the labels and adhesive off. I believe I have enough flow restrictors for all five as well.
All that was the easy part! Now I've gotta come up with some catchy labels and a display stand to hold them. (I'm thinking a Bay Rum, a Lime, a Wood, something Smokey, and maybe an Aquatic).

At first glance I thought that you 3D printed new caps with the aftershave name design into them.

OK, the tabasco bottles will have to sit while I figure out some cool labels, so, I figured I'd start another avenue of creativity.

The Avon line of decanters seemed to have alot of cars. I started wondering if painting some of those up might prove fun and feasible. So, I grabbed a bottle out of my box o junk to see where I could go.

I started with a Packard Roadster bottle that originally held Oland cologne. Seemed like a good decanter to begin with. Not one that I'm particularly fond of but detailed enough to test my skills. Then again not overly ornate or big. Should be a good testbed to see if car bottle decorating would work.

Here's the bottle I started with.

Attachments

• IMG_7740.JPG
    IMG_7740.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7741.JPG
    IMG_7741.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7743.JPG
    IMG_7743.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Here it is with the "glass" portions taped off and painted with primer. Being I didn't know if spray enamel will adhere well to glass I cleaned the decanter with solvent and thought a coat of primer was wise.

Attachments

• IMG_7751.JPG
    IMG_7751.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7752.JPG
    IMG_7752.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 9
A good coat of flat black enamel with the taped off sections uncovered. Now I have to start digging thru old pictures of 1914 Packard's and see what color scheme looks good.

Now we'll let it dry thoroughly and start brushing. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• IMG_7759.JPG
    IMG_7759.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7760.JPG
    IMG_7760.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7761.JPG
    IMG_7761.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7762.JPG
    IMG_7762.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Okie dokie, my level one decanter project (i.e. repurposing other bottle for A/S use) is complete. I think the Musky and Limey labels came out the best.

Attachments

• IMG_7770.JPG
    IMG_7770.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7771.JPG
    IMG_7771.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7772.JPG
    IMG_7772.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7773.JPG
    IMG_7773.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 14
Next up is the level 2 project, which is painting or decorating an existing Avon bottle. And I've got a level 3 project in mind - that is, making a display specifically to showcase a particular Avon decanter.

Very interesting project! It has my wheels turning. I have been thinking about trying some of @OkieStubble 's Bootlegger creations. You have probably seen this wiki with the recipes and labels ready to print Bootlegger Aftershaves

Gentlemen, these all look very nice, but for me, with arthritis in my hands, and ceramic tile bathroom flooring, glass bottles could be a disaster.
I went to my local Home Goods (it's the housewares branch of the TJ Maxx and Marshall's chain) and bought some liquid hand soap in glass bottles with pump dispensers. I poured the soap into other plastic bottles (for liquid hand soap) and repurposed the containers to store my Pinaud Clubman and Aqua Velva. Best of all, I can get my splash by just pushing down on the pumps.

I should note, I did this because I'm lazy, not because of arthritis. However, I imagine this would also work well for someone with arthritis.

Attachments

• ABAA30E9-D640-42E5-8F3F-D62FE71821A1.jpeg
    ABAA30E9-D640-42E5-8F3F-D62FE71821A1.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
Nice idea, Wonder! The plastic of the pumps doesn't affect the scent of the splash then?
Not really. Though, if you don't plan to use the aftershave at least every other day or every three days, you might want to empty the intake straw inside the bottle after your last use. The splash (really, the Pinaud) left in the straw may begin to start taking on a bit of the plastic scent. Alternatively, you could just pump and dump the bit of splash in the straw every time after a hiatus. If you don't want to waste the splash, you could pump it into another (smaller) glass bottle and then pour that back into the big bottle after the bottle is full.

or if you can find an original antique bottle that the product used to be packaged in.

View attachment 1232122

View attachment 1232123

camo
I have one of these Pinaud bottles I'd like to use for something, but it's pretty grungy inside. With its narrow neck, the dishwasher didn't work. I tried soaking/shaking with some dishwashing soap and no luck. I then tried soaking for a day with a strong bleach solution to no avail. The junk on the inside appeared oily so I tried filling the bottle with isopropyl alcohol and giving it a good shake. That only made it look worse. The last thing I tried was to get a narrow bottle brush, bend the heck out of it, stuff it inside the bottle and try to scrub it with dishwashing soap again. Still nothing.

Do you guys have any suggestions on cleaning this thing? Thanks!

Hmm, Lazer, that sounds weird.

I had an old Liquor bottle that had some stuff inside that just wouldn't come out. I think it was mineral scale. Still haven't gotten it all out.

I'd try some Everclear. 95% ethyl alcohol. And let it soak for a week. If that don't get it out I don't know what to tell you. I've worked with some pretty nasty solvents on glass - but none of them on bottles that will hold stuff to put on my face. I just don't trust it.

I've decided to try and expand on my creativity, with a focus on aftershave decanters. So many of them have interesting shapes, and my mind goes around and around with what I might be able to do with them. Plus, I keep collecting Avon bottles - so, I've got a supply to experiment with!

So, I'm going to take off on a journey, painting and modifying aftershave bottles into whatever concept comes to mind. I might take an existing bottle and decorate it, while others I might build a display around. Still others I may add some unusual piece to it to change it into another thing entirely. I might also take a non-aftershave object and make it a decanter. Some artsy, others practical, others just to see if I can do it. Who knows where my mind may take me?

I invite you on the journey with me. Maybe you'll be amazed, maybe you be intrigued, maybe even you'll be inspired to crate your own creations. Heck, you might even laugh at some of the things I do! That's OK - laughter is good!
Please feel free to post your thoughts and comments, maybe a suggestion of something you'd like to see. I'll see what I can do!

To start off, here are two projects I've already done and posted pics before.
The first is an old glass crystal light bulb a customer brought in to me to find a replacement. I told him we didn't have anything that old and ornate, and he was kind enough to let me have the bulb. I was able to get the brass socket end off and remove the filament and post, then fashioned a holder out of some sheet ABS I had. I found a suitable cap, and wa-la: a decanter to hold my vintage Aqua Velva!
You have struck a chord here sir!! I am an electrician, and now wish I hadn't seen this !!!!:) Hmmmmm.....

Top Bottom