What's new

Come along on "My Adventures in Decantery"!

Tangential: I've got a pretty Shalamar bottle which is near empty and a full refill bottle with a spritzer on it, what do I? how do I? can you tell me? I wanna get the great perfume out of the plain vial and put it into the pretty bottle. What am I missing? (Other than 10 minutes standing at the Women's Perfume Bar and speaking with a knock-out lass vice ... well, never you mind...)
Thanks for your help!
If it's a spritzer bottle, then it's not a "refill."
Those bottles commonly have the pump-spray mechanism fused to the bottle's neck. They are often not separable.
The pump-spray mechanisms are also notorious for failing before the bottle is empty.
Other than manually pumping all the perfume out and into the other bottle, your options are rather limited.

Have you considered sabring?
I hear the French are pretty good at it.

If you can make a couple vertical cuts to the metal collar on the neck, you could pry open the collar and remove it... delicate work.

Or, perhaps best to return to the women's perfume bar and pursue further enquiries...

I repurposed some vintage chemistry apothecary bottles to decant my aftershave in.
View attachment 1231583
It's up to you to decide if the sting is really from a rough shave!
Forgot to include a picture of the one I use for witch hazel. The picture on the bottle is a water slide decal that I put on it.
20210304_084744.jpg

Yeah, because the bottles run on the low side of fluid ounces 5 of them would make a decent amount of splash in a display.

I have *got* to get some acid bottles like that... 🤔

AA
Occasionally they can be found at antique shops, but I had the best luck finding them on Ebay.
Just be sure to give them a good soak in a base solution to neutralize any residual acid! Baking soda will do the job.
The only others that I'll use are the sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide apothecary bottles since I can neutralize the residual lye with vinegar.
But if in doubt, don't use them, take it from me, chemical burns suck!

best to return to the women's perfume bar and pursue further enquiries...
1) They lied!
2) Reminds me of an Alton Brown story I watched on one of His first "QQ YouTube podcasts" ( I coulda told him the rim below the metal crimp cap was too tall for a good sabre.) Glass and sparkling wine - E V E R Y where! (Poor doggie. Ya had to see it)
3) If I make 'cuts' I also have to have a good hand and heatsink to solder and repair the damage for integrity. Wouldn't want the spritzer to pop off before it poops out... Besides, I hear alcohol is a brilliant accelerant.

Looks like I'm stuck with my plain Jane bottle of new-old-stock. But since I don't have a particular she to offer it to, no harm no foul; so far.
But see the quotation above for a viable plan of action. :LMS

Thanks, folks.

My meager collection of vintage glass.
PXL_20210307_011816865-01.jpeg

On the left is an unknown manufacturer currently holding 12oz. of Pinaud Clubman. The second from the left is an Ed Pinaud with a plastic cap and restricted opening. There other two are unmarked apothecary bottles.

Thinking of moving my Clubman to the Ed Pinaud since the larger bottle is a bit unwieldy in the morning and because, you know, Pinaud and Pinaud. One of the Apothecary Bottles will likely get my post-shave oil stash.

The only thing I decant is my Aqua Velva from the current plastic bottle to the Bicentennial bottle we've had in the family since 1976.

Top Bottom