What's new

Comcast.Never Again, i mean it this time!

I did the no cable, just internet route for about 4 years. Got cable 3 months ago so i could watch more college football. MY GOD what a mess. My bill has been different for each of those months, and every time they tell me "okay sir, THIS will be you new monthly bill" it changes. Im going back. Cable is over rated anyways.

We have uverse and no complaints. 54 dollars and change per month. 12Mbs download speed and a 250Gb bandwidth cap. Never had so much as a warning we came near the cap and my daughters stream a LOT of Netflix. We really have no complaints. We have only Internet.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks for the info, Todd. I guess it isn't worth switching from Time Warner to AT&T since the price would be about the same for the same download speed.

After 15 years of Comcast, I just switched to Verizon FiOS, a two year commitment. Comcast asked me why, I said I'm getting "more for less." The rep was upset I didn't check with them for any offers they might make to keep a customer. I said it they wanted to keep me as a customer, they should have made the offers w/o being asked.

So in two years we'll check the market and decide which way to go. In the meantime we'll have saved over $1,000. The online offerings will have matured, as will have the streaming tech, so that will bear scrutiny.

I have Uverse also. I have the 6 meg for $43 a month. I live about 15 min west of downtown chicago. Att is ok just for net. Don't get anything else. They tried to sucker my dad into getting a land line. I told him no, we have cell phones. If you do go the att route make sure you ask about the deals they have going. I think its 20usd for the first 6 months and then it goes up to 40ish a month after that. Get your own router. The one they will send you blows lead pipe....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
After 15 years of Comcast, I just switched to Verizon FiOS, a two year commitment. Comcast asked me why, I said I'm getting "more for less." The rep was upset I didn't check with them for any offers they might make to keep a customer. I said it they wanted to keep me as a customer, they should have made the offers w/o being asked.

So in two years we'll check the market and decide which way to go. In the meantime we'll have saved over $1,000. The online offerings will have matured, as will have the streaming tech, so that will bear scrutiny.
i will be looking for TV service next month most likely. report back and let me know how this Verizon FiOS thing works out. Do you get internet service as well?

*never mind.... the new address isn't serviced by Verizon. I just checked via their website. figures.

Last edited:
After my knee jerk first response I thought I'd re-read the OP's post and re-respond - I belong to a particular automotive forum and I'd say most of the posts are complaints - very few accolades - human nature maybe , if you're having a problem tell the world & if things are rosy then keep it to yourself because after all they're ( i.e Comcast or anyone else) suppose to do a good job - and there's always two sides to a story.

And I'm not saying that I haven't had my share of disappointments with Comcast but our TV and Internet service have been very reliable and I've gotten very good information through their user forums - overall very happy with Comcast and we'll continue to support them.

Last edited:
I needed reliable Internet connection for work. After the 3rd call to get the modem reset, I figured there would be 4th, a 5th and so on... so I cancelled my plan with comcast and switched to a basic AT&T. In 4 years, the only time I called tech support was when the power supply failed.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I thought I would share my most recent Comcast horror story.

Despite what I said back in December 2012 I ordered Comcast again. When I moved in to my new home I decided to go with Directv for the cable. Got a good deal and was ready to try something new. Only problem is they don't offer internet, and to use their ondemand service you need internet. So I called up AT&T first, was told they are not available in my area. It's a brand new development so I'm not surprised.

Despite my better judgement I decided to get Comcast. I ordered it online and was sent a self install kit - which was just one box with a modem. All I wanted was the internet. So I try hooking it up, doesn't work. I call Comcast about 3 times, and spend about 2 hours trying to figure it out. They can't figure it out and have to send a technician. Fine! Whatever! Not surprised.

Just for kicks I call DirecTV and am promptly told that I can't run a Comcast signal over their lines. I have to have Comcast come and install a separate outlet just for the modem. OK wow...in 10 minutes I'm given an answer that Comcast couldn't figure out in 2 hours and have to send some out to me.

So I call Comcast back and explain what I was told and I get the "oh yeah, that is correct, we would be happy to come install an outlet." Which they want somewhere around $40 for. Well by this time I'm fed up and frustrated. I tell them no thanks, I want to cancel my service (which was really never activated to begin with). I get the run around and have to tell the lady 3 times that I want to cancel. Finally she says she will send a return label to me and close my account. Great! thank you! was that hard!? I decide I'm just going to wait until AT&T is available and go with them.

3 days later I get a box delivered.......with a cable modem in it! They sent me a replacement! instead of an empty box! So here I go again...back on the phone with Comcast. I explain what happened, you sent a replacement. Now I have 2 cable modems, I don't even want 1!. I once again have to listen to the "please don't cancel" run around. I tell her I already canceled last time I called! Close my account! send me another label!
This is where it gets really good. I'm told that since my account is closed (10 minutes ago it wasn't) She can't request a return box be sent and I have to do it online. AGGGHHRRRR! ok fine! I'll go online and do it!

So I go to the website she gives me....and I get an error every time I put in my account number "please enter your account number exactly as it appears on the bill". Which is exactly what I'm doing..........so back on the phone with Comcast. I explain everything again....and I mean everything. I am then told that there is a request in the "system" for a box to be sent and it will be here in 3-5 days. I say how...the lady told me she couldn't do it because my account is closed. I ask her for the date on the request. She says she doesn't have a date. I say how can you see a request but no date? she repeats that the box will be here in 3-5 days after every question I ask. I then ask for a supervisor and am told "there is no supervisor here" I say "yes there is and I want to talk to a supervisor, I'll wait" she puts me on hold for 10 minutes and comes back "I found a supervisor but she is busy" I say "ok, I'll wait". 10 minutes later she comes back on "the supervisor is still on the phone with other customers" I say "ok, I'll wait". 15 minutes later the supervisor finally comes on.....once again.....I explain everything. The supervisor tells me that there is a service call at my address for Saturday 18th to disconnect comcast from the poll.....whatever that means. I am told I can give the boxes to the tech and he will take them. I tell her to make sure she puts that in the "notes" that I am going to give him the boxes and he is going to pick them up..

That Comcast tech never shows up on the 18th. Once again I am not surprised. At this point I just say forget it. I'm going to keep them.

I get a bill today from them saying I owe them money. I call them and am told I requested another modem that is why I owe them money. I say noooooooo I canceled my service about 5 times with you already. I never requested another modem, I don't want the 2 that I have. This lady must have a little better comprehension abilities because it only takes me one time to explain how Comcast screwed everything up and she says she's going to send a label for the return equipment. Which is really strange because one of the other employees said she couldn't request it because my account was closed. So now I'll just wait again to see if the correct label shows up and no more equipment. If it doesn't show up I guess I'll have 2 paperweights.

Now I really mean it this time...I will never ever use Comcast for any service. Ever. Again.

Time Warner here in Palm Springs is awful too.
We finally ditched the cable boxes and just have internet. Got Roku boxes, pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime(which has other benefits). Rabbit ears for local channels in DTV. Awesome picture quality. Don't miss the cable at all.
I imagine pretty soon you'll be able to pick and choose all content over Roku/appletv etc.

Top Bottom