Combing through a wet brush

Discussion in 'Shaving Brushes' started by ncnative, May 8, 2019.

I own three "hair" brushes, one boar and two badgers. After shaving I always rinse the brushes thoroughly and dry them properly with some squeezes and a few passes over a dry towel. Before hanging them on the drying stand I take a comb and comb through the hairs very thoroughly and with fairly gentle strokes which seems to "untangle things". Am I hurting the brushes or using overkill? It appears the brushes fan out better and dry quicker with this added step. Thanks for your opinions in advance.

1. I can't see gentle combing being rougher than drying on a towel, and most people do that.

2. Unless you’re pulling or breaking off hairs it shouldn’t be an issue.

3. ajkel64

ajkel64 Ambassador

I rinse my brushes out and then dry them with a towel, then hang them upside down on the brush stand. I never comb through them though. I only buy cheap brushes so I really don’t take that much care of them apart from the rinse and dry. I can’t see any issue with a gentle comb through but maybe a brush maker like @Rudy Vey might have a better idea if you are harming the bristles or not.

4. Untangle? If you did not comb them, would a towel fluff the next morning make them look fine?

5. I say overkill. I hold the base of the knot with two fingers, then flick. That gets rid of a lot of water, then I hang the brush.

6. I have a couple of expensive badger brushes and follow the manufacturer's recommendations (see below). Alternating is important:

Never leave your brush to soak in water at a temperature higher than your skin would withstand.

Ensure the shaving brush knot is completely rinsed free of ALL soap or cream residue post shave – Use clear warm water and gently squeeze the base of the knot to determine if all remnants are gone (This will prevent the build-up of mildew).
    Shake the brush gently & lightly stroke the bristles against a very soft towel to remove any excess moisture present within the knot.
    Leave to stand or hang (either is perfectly fine) in a well-ventilated area, preferably very near to an open window. Insufficient drying time between shaves WILL result in mildew deep within the knot and eventual hair loss.
    Try an alternate between two brushes if possible to allow a 48 hour drying period.
    Shampoo your brush with normal hair product every month or so to keep it nice and clean.

Hope this is helpful.

7. Thanks, those are great steps to preserve a brush. Mine are not expensive but I do want to keep them in good shape since I like them for their performance. They do seem to be slightly tangled when wet after a couple of towel passes. I think I'll keep the light combing going since none of them are shedding more than a hair or two and they are still relatively new (less than 20 shaves)

8. Wait until the brush is dry before you comb it out!

9. Rudy Vey

Rudy Vey Vendor Contributor

I do not see the need to comb out the brush after every use.
    The most important step after use is that the needs to be rinsed thoroughly to remove any
    residue of soap or cream - remnants of both left inside the depths of the knot will lead eventually
    to hair loss due to breakdown of the hair by the soaps. Rinse it with warm water, and make sure all soap is out, best is to rinse into the knot from the top, squeeze and repeat. Flick water out, brush over towel, and let dry.

The only time I see need to comb out a brush if there is some shedding going on. Wash the brush with a shampoo, rinse well, let dry, then comb out. Wet hars sometimes tangle, and when dried, the hair straighten out.

10. Thank you Mr. Vey. I'm very diligent about getting all the soap out. I think I'll try your suggestions about the combing. My brushes are inexpensive in comparison to higher end badgers but I like them and I was afraid the individual hairs would mat and tangle with use. They are all fairly new and I think the shedding is just about over but I really like to see them "flared out and broken in". I guess that's okay?

11. Horse hair brushes will get some real benefit from combing since they get tangled really easy.
    Esp with boar brushes it seems like an overkill to me. But if comb is not taking out any hairs then why not.

12. I comb my horsehair brush after each shave with a fork. I find the best way is to immerse it in a sink of water with the bristles down and gently comb. Only use light pressure, or you can pull the knot out.

If the air is too humid for the brush to dry overnight, it is probably better to have two or three brushes.