What's new

Colt King Cobra...epilogue

C725DE4B-E0D6-466D-9D4D-D2E93283500A.jpeg
Been a while and the Jury is in.
2019 saw the introduction of Colt’s new 3” King Cobra, six round medium frame revolver chambered for .357 magnum.
Briefly...Colt seems to have nailed it but maybe not totally.

The KC is possibly the best balanced revolver I have ever shot. It has a heft and pointability (is that a word?) I have never experienced before. It is not a lightweight; more like a S&W K frame one may say.
Sights although fixed (actually my preference) are a tad low, but easily compensated for. I love the old school brass bead front sight.
The Hogue grips are sad and homely, but work. I had to go back to them after the very attractive aftermarket rosewood grips fit my hand so badly they cut the web of my hand...drawing blood. No bueno.

Trigger is....Colt. Lockup is as tight as they come.
Oddly, although a revolver, the King Cobra (and its baby brother the Colt Cobra)
are sensitive to steel cased ammunition. It does not want to eject. No doubt an ammunition problem but to be kept in mind if using either pistol for serious purposes.

Spendy? Somewhat, but deals can be found. Seems your best bet will be a big box store. Got mine at Smokey Mountain Knife Works for $100 off MSRP.
Quality holsters are available. Pictured here is a Ritchie CQ QR. One of my favorites. Other worthy leather crafters are surely soon to offer holsters once the mold guns become more available. At present, Ritchie Leather and Wright Leather Works are the only games in town.
Carries well, shoots very well...I would buy it again.

But I’m waiting for the Python.
Hopefully sooner than later...and with more attractive grips

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks for the update. Ugly rubber grips are often the best even when beautiful wood is preferred. Particularly on magnum revolvers.

Yeah, I don't care for the Hogues on the new Colts. However, I always loved the factory Pachmayrs that came on the original King Cobra and Anacondas.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
View attachment 985967 Been a while and the Jury is in.
2019 saw the introduction of Colt’s new 3” King Cobra, six round medium frame revolver chambered for .357 magnum.
Briefly...Colt seems to have nailed it but maybe not totally.

The KC is possibly the best balanced revolver I have ever shot. It has a heft and pointability (is that a word?) I have never experienced before. It is not a lightweight; more like a S&W K frame one may say.
Sights although fixed (actually my preference) are a tad low, but easily compensated for. I love the old school brass bead front sight.
The Hogue grips are sad and homely, but work. I had to go back to them after the very attractive aftermarket rosewood grips fit my hand so badly they cut the web of my hand...drawing blood. No bueno.

Trigger is....Colt. Lockup is as tight as they come.
Oddly, although a revolver, the King Cobra (and its baby brother the Colt Cobra)
are sensitive to steel cased ammunition. It does not want to eject. No doubt an ammunition problem but to be kept in mind if using either pistol for serious purposes.

Spendy? Somewhat, but deals can be found. Seems your best bet will be a big box store. Got mine at Smokey Mountain Knife Works for $100 off MSRP.
Quality holsters are available. Pictured here is a Ritchie CQ QR. One of my favorites. Other worthy leather crafters are surely soon to offer holsters once the mold guns become more available. At present, Ritchie Leather and Wright Leather Works are the only games in town.
Carries well, shoots very well...I would buy it again.

But I’m waiting for the Python.
Hopefully sooner than later...and with more attractive grips

Yes, it is, and an important one! Looks like it would ...

And function trumps pretty when it comes to these things ...

Colt quality: always there. Happy shooting!

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I thought both the new King Cobra and Cobra snub were both on the D frame, but I could be wrong. Colt specs. have the King Cobra at 28 oz, only 3 ounces more than the Colt snub. That could be due to the 4" barrel and underlug. My 4" L frame weighs 41 oz. empty. That King Cobra should carry easy.

Correct....They are both on the new D frame....IMO, it would have been more aptly had they called it a Diamondback .357 or Detective Special. 357

Last edited:
Love my 6 inch Diamondback. Bet I'd like one of these as well. Also need a K frame or two, I guess other than my one J and one L all my others are N frames, on further thought all 41s. Maybe I have a problem...

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Love my 6 inch Diamondback. Bet I'd like one of these as well. Also need a K frame or two, I guess other than my one J and one L all my others are N frames, on further thought all 41s. Maybe I have a problem...

You don't have a problem...seems like you're happy!

I do need to get some K frames though.

I have some more letters and calibers to fill out :)

My Blackhawks are more diverse. 357,41,44 and 45 represented in old models and a 41 NM and 45 New Vaquero. No Bisleys as I haven't found them visually appealing.

I want to be able to buy a new Colt double-action revolver since the company is making the effort. My "wanter button" is turned up too high though and I can't get around to filling the current list. That 3-inch King Cobra is nifty neato Acemfg and that holster would do a treat.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm waiting on Colt to come out with a Diamondback on the D frame. But, it would probably be chambered in .357 and they would advertise it as a "Python".

Colt is calling it a D frame but it’s a far cry from the D frames of yesterday. The new version is much heavier (yes, even more so than the old Detective Special). The overall dimensions are considerably more robust.
I’d be more inclined to call the new Colt revolver frames “F frames”...midway between “D” and “I”.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm waiting on Colt to come out with a Diamondback on the D frame. But, it would probably be chambered in .357 and they would advertise it as a "Python".

I feel certain that having learned to profitably make a good revolver again, the return of the Python cannot be long ... just gotta add a rib!

AA

Top Bottom