What's new

Colt AR Production

Back in the dark ages when I was a young dumb infantryman a Colt M16A1 named Raquel was my constant companion and she never failed me no matter what abuse she had to endure.

I still have a soft spot for an AR or 1911 with that rampant Colt on it and I'll never be without either one. I'm not surprised Colt pulled out of the Civilian market, It's absolutely glutted with AR rifles and parts so most people aren't gonna' pay for the pony when they can get a useable AR for 400 bucks or so.

I'm curious as to how high the price will go on Colt rifles now. Folks have a funny habit of paying crazy prices for things they didn't want until they weren't available anymore.

I have two Colt H Bar, one has that odd ball receiver bolt carrier they made for the civilian market, both purchased back in the late 80's early 90's. It's been a while since I looked at it so cannot remember what those differences are, but I know some mil spec parts will not work. Both have large pins for the trigger assembly. One had the upper modified with a very heavy bull barrel, free floated for a varmint model by Accuracy Speaks, out in Arizona. Triggers are Jewell's, I probably would go with Gisselle today if I were to do them over. Here 8-10 years ago I got to playing around with the 6.5 Grendel and built a few AR's. A couple with long 26" target/varmint barrels, one a short mid length carbine, and a matching mid length in 5.56 for my wife. I used the Adams Arms gas piston system for these and am very happy with it. Lower receivers on my builds are all Rock River, because that's what a local dealer carried and they looked as good as most things, All other parts are premium and my cost per gun came in far less that a Colt and quality is probably a lot better. Would I go down and pay the price for a Colt today, no!

The mini 14 has been produced in a select fire variant and has been used a few places, some apparent use in Rhodesia likely being the toughest test.

Also the weapon of choice for The A-Team.
Might be why no bad guys were ever actually shot.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

"Also the weapon of choice for The A-Team.
Might be why no bad guys were ever actually shot."

Whoa..that's cold. Really cold.
Colder than my ex's heart......

"Also the weapon of choice for The A-Team.
Might be why no bad guys were ever actually shot."

Whoa..that's cold. Really cold.
Colder than my ex's heart......
I think they're a neat little rifle. I'd think they were neater if they used AR magazines or their mags weren't 3x as expensive. They have got a rep that might be undeserved accuracy-wise.

I didn't make the chart but I've laughed at it every time it showed up over the years.

Minis may not have ever killed a bad guy but they’re deadly accurate on tires. Probably it was all the chrome...

M4s cost the govt $460/unit back in the 90s. Not sure what they cost today, but I met the SOPMOD kits cost more.

Although it seems Colt may now be on its way back to the catbird seat, things were not so sunny a while back. It would appear the military was not enthralled with the product Colt was selling them at the time. Guess that rampant pony mystique only goes so far.
"Colt’s problems began in 2013 when they lost their contract to supply M4 rifles to the U.S. military. The Pentagon instead awarded the $77 million contract to F.N. Herstal, a Belgium-based arms manufacturer. According to Foreign Policy, the Belgian rifles allow for continuous fire while the Colt fires in three-round bursts.
Colt’s rifle failed in other ways as well. Colt’s M4 rifle performed poorly in an “extreme dust test” that tested M4 rifles made by several manufacturers, as reported by The Daily Beast. Delta Force replaced the Colt M4 with the H&K 416 after discovering the H&K 416’s piston operating system significantly reduced malfunctions and increased the life of its parts."
For the record...I have always liked Colts. Own a couple today and will probably buy a couple more..just won't
be ARs.
But again, I would have never believed I would own not one, not two, but THREE Glocks

Although it seems Colt may now be on its way back to the catbird seat, things were not so sunny a while back. It would appear the military was not enthralled with the product Colt was selling them at the time. Guess that rampant pony mystique only goes so far.
"Colt’s problems began in 2013 when they lost their contract to supply M4 rifles to the U.S. military. The Pentagon instead awarded the $77 million contract to F.N. Herstal, a Belgium-based arms manufacturer. According to Foreign Policy, the Belgian rifles allow for continuous fire while the Colt fires in three-round bursts.
Colt’s rifle failed in other ways as well. Colt’s M4 rifle performed poorly in an “extreme dust test” that tested M4 rifles made by several manufacturers, as reported by The Daily Beast. Delta Force replaced the Colt M4 with the H&K 416 after discovering the H&K 416’s piston operating system significantly reduced malfunctions and increased the life of its parts."
For the record...I have always liked Colts. Own a couple today and will probably buy a couple more..just won't
be ARs.
But again, I would have never believed I would own not one, not two, but THREE Glocks

Yep. Colt was on the ropes a couple of years ago and this was a business decision. A good one.

I just bought my first Glock last month. Swearing if never get one. Now I want more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There actually WAS one truthful "news" piece (shockingly), telling the joyful not to celebrate, Colt wasn't really woke - it was just a business decision, maaaaan! Those dudes were just saving themselves more dirty money, maaaaan!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yep. Colt was on the ropes a couple of years ago and this was a business decision. A good one.

I just bought my first Glock last month. Swearing if never get one. Now I want more.

Ah, "the Dark Side." They do indeed have cookies - Tennifer-coated.

AA

All firearms = good. All roads lead to Rome.

In the 90s I swore I wouldn't own less than .40 ... times change.

AA

Yes and I’m surprised my wife doesn’t throttle me back every time I buy one. It’s addicting to handle different ones.

Particularly if it's an obscure wildcat or a milsurp with historical significance.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
NPR is presenting b.s. spin as fact. ARs are a pretty significant number. Of course peopled who get their gun facts from NPR aren't going to know any better.
proxy.php

seems like this is presenting an opinion from some professor

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Maybe Colt will concentrate on wheel guns, like they should!

And make it well. And affordable.

I know, I need to wake up.

Did I mention I have an 8mm Egyptian Hakim?

With a bullet hole through the stock?

AA
I've got to pay a friend off for a bunch of other stuff so I can buy his G43 next. A Hakim would be cool too though.

Top Bottom