What's new

Colorado got its first In-N-Out locations, and the lines are 14 hours long! Say What???

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yes, indeed.

We've had two such places within walking distance from our home close since March. No one should expect me to be excited about a chain location opening anywhere.

In my opinion, it's nice to discover locally owned eateries that have a unique 'flair' and personality.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hey, Colorado, after that 14-hour wait ...

... "the munchies" will surely have abated.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A 14 hour wait is crazy.

I've been by one in Dallas several times and meant to stop in and see what all the fuss was about, but never did.

A couple of local greasy spoons around here have better burgers than any national chain...you take a bite and the grease runs down your arm, then cascades off your elbow into a silver, shimmering pool on the red and white checkered tablecloth.

Heaven on a bun...and more meat than any chain 1/4 pounder.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Call me out of touch or old fashioned, but when I hear the phrase "In-n-Out" I don't think of cheeseburgers at all. When I was young I would gladly have waited 14 hours for some in-n-out, but I would have been terribly disappointed when I reached the front of the line only to be handed a sandwich.

I prefer Mom and Pop cafes. Preferably hole in the wall small town type where I am "socially distanced" by default LOL I like the charm, the personal touch on the food, and the face to face experience with the waiter/waitress who may actually care if I get good service and might have washed hands and a hickie free neck. But that is just my preference. YMMV :) Of course

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I don't get this skepticism. Honestly, the In-N-Out regular burger is good, not great. But, if you customize it off the secret menu, it's honestly divine.

Here is what the professionals get:
  • Double Double Animal Style with extra sauce
  • Animal Fries with extra sauce
The above is one of the best burgers I have ever had, every time.

I don't get this skepticism. Honestly, the In-N-Out regular burger is good, not great. But, if you customize it off the secret menu, it's honestly divine.

Here is what the professionals get:
  • Double Double Animal Style with extra sauce
  • Animal Fries with extra sauce
The above is one of the best burgers I have ever had, every time.
This top secret menu doesn't do visitors much good. What is Animal style and what sauce?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
It's honestly not all that secret but it does make a big difference

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The verdict: Bow down to greatness. This iconic bun-and-patty combo features a mustard-marinated patty, grilled onions, spread, veggies, and pickles. The pickles add extra crunch that In-N-Out burgers are missing, which makes you wonder why they’re not a regular feature.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have lived up and down the east coast, up and down the west coast, and in Texas. The approaches to burgers are historically so different that comparing them is hard. The proliferation of chains that are nationwide has broken down some of the old stereotypes, especially the east coast burger of the fifties and sixties, an MR patty with ketchup and maybe onion. Ordering it deluxe meant a leaf of lettuce, a slice of tomato, and maybe pickles, all on the side, not on the burger. In-N-Out is a great example of the west coast style of 1000 island, tomato, lettuce, and maybe onion. A variation I like is using mayonnaise and a tomatoey relish in place of 1000 island. Whataburger is the classic Texas combo of a griddled patty and bun, yellow mustard, onion, tomato, lettuce, and dill pickles. Most Texans I know insist on cheese and jalapenos, too. I don't find either Whataburger or In-N-Out better than the other, just different. I like to mix the different styles. My favorite is a griddled MR patty and bun with grilled onion, Hatch chiles, American cheese, and 1000 island.

As to In-N-Out I recall it with much larger patties and with each basket of fries dumped onto a clean white towel in which the fries were tossed around to get the excess grease off. Awfully good, but when I lived in LA In-N-Out was routine, but Tommy's was an experience to remember.

14 hours is insane for a burger. I remember when Popeyes came to golden gate Florida the wait was only about 2.5-3 hours

Top Bottom