What's new

Colonial The General

Hi,

I have never used a SE razor, but have been considering this one as a new toy.

Would i likely get a better, more comfortable shave than my DE's?

I currently have a Ti 0.95 Timeless, a Karve with b, c and d plates and a Gamechanger with 0.84 sb and jaws and the 0.68 oc.

Thanks!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I own the Black Aluminum General and am giving the SS V2 a test (thanks to a member here on B&B). I have the Timeless Ti .68SB, ATT Windsor DE M&R plates and have tried the Karve B plate, owned a Timeless SS .95SB, GC .68 & .84 SB. Once you get used to the wider format of an Artist Club razor, you will find you get a smooth and efficient shave. I prefer the General of both varieties with the Kai Pro Touch blades but I suggest you get a blade sampler as with DE razors, blades are a personal preference. I also have an ATT Windsor SE1 which is more aggressive than the General but to me is a smooth and efficient razor too. I find the SS V2 just a tad more efficient than the Aluminum but not a great amount.

Before you spring for a General, I might suggest you try a Hawk V2 or V3. Same principle, good razor, not quite as efficient as the General, but would enable you to get your feet wet in the AC razor format for less money to see if you like it. I first tried a Hawk V2, then purchased a Hawk V3. Have since sold both, but they started me in the AC world.

I also suggest you may want to consider a Vintage Schick Injector to dabble your toes into the SE world. I prefer the milder L series or an Adjustable Schick so you could dial in your aggressive level. Food for thought.

I've been looking at the Silversmith for some time now, if you end up buying it I will be looking very forward to your review and thoughts. In my tiny mind, if the single edge is good, then the double edge should follow suit.

The ColoniaL General V2 is a fantastic AC razor; smooth, nimble and efficient. It's better for me than any DE razor I own, which include quite a lit of respected vintage and modern models. The advantage of the General over the Vector is that you can buy the General head only and pair it with a handle of your choice, which saves money and lets you get exactly the cobination you want.

I've got a Colonial General V1, which is my favorite AC blade razor (among six or seven). I've also got a Timeless .95, Karve F open comb, Gamechanger .84 OC and Jaws. I suspect that you will not regret a Colonial General (assuming V2 is not materially different from V1).

Last edited:
I've got a Colonial General V1, which is my favorite AC blade razor (among six or seven). I've also got a Timeless .95, Karve F open comb, Gamechanger .84 OC and Jaws. I suspect that you will not regret a Colonial General (assuming V2 is not materially different from V1).
I also have a V1 Black Aluminum and am trying out a V2 provided by another member here on B&B. The primary differences I see are the V2 has less blade exposure and the head is smaller than the V1. Other than that, they shave just about the same with maybe the V2 being just a tad more efficient. Of course the V2 is heavier than the Aluminum.

I also have a V1 Black Aluminum and am trying out a V2 provided by another member here on B&B. The primary differences I see are the V2 has less blade exposure and the head is smaller than the V1. Other than that, they shave just about the same with maybe the V2 being just a tad more efficient. Of course the V2 is heavier than the Aluminum.

Interesting. My V1 is stainless machined. In my experience, early iterations of a razor model work better for me than later ones. Mostly because I like blade feel, and it seems most razor makers try to smooth the blade feel over time. But that's just my perception.

Top Bottom