What's new

Colonial Razors

Let’s not forget though that other companies are producing similar quality razors for about 1/3 the price.
My memories not quite what it used to be and I am getting up there in the years but what company makes an all 316SS razor that's made in the USA that is selling for $60? I can't think of any off the top of my head...

Yeah, the V1 General last sold for $99 but was mfg'd in China and at that time it was in line with Chinese SS razors.

My memories not quite what it used to be and I am getting up there in the years but what company makes an all 316SS razor that's made in the USA that is selling for $60? I can't think of any off the top of my head...

Yeah, the V1 General last sold for $99 but was mfg'd in China and at that time it was in line with Chinese SS razors.

316 is pretty standard now for razors...Razorock comes to mind right off the bat. There are other similar vendors such as Fendrihan and so on that also have full SS razors, though they don’t list steel type, the price point is certainly there.

Chinese or not, the v1 General is a great quality razor in any of its 3 materials. It’s sad that anyone would think to charged a premium for something simply being made in the States. It’s also wrong to think that just because something is manufactured elsewhere, it’s worth less. I’m not intimating that’s what you or anyone else is saying, I’m just putting that out there.

316 is pretty standard now for razors...Razorock comes to mind right off the bat. There are other similar vendors such as Fendrihan and so on that also have full SS razors, though they don’t list steel type, the price point is certainly there.

Chinese or not, the v1 General is a great quality razor in any of its 3 materials. It’s sad that anyone would think to charged a premium for something simply being made in the States. It’s also wrong to think that just because something is manufactured elsewhere, it’s worth less. I’m not intimating that’s what you or anyone else is saying, I’m just putting that out there.
Don't see anything on Fendrihan about neither type of SS or origin of manufacture so I'm thinking that would indicate its imported so that's not a very good example and Razorock is a Canadian company and their products are made in Canada so neither of those fit into your comment of $60 USA razors...

I'm not sure if your aware or not but the cost to manufacture almost anything in the USA is more costly than almost any part of the world other than some of the older parts of Europe. On average USA mfg costs are about 5+ times more costly than China is why imports are so desirable to most...

On a side note, I have owned both the V1 Aluminum and V1 SS Generals and both were very good quality and great shaving razors. They just didn't make the grade against my Ti Timeless to keep a spot in my cabinet but neither did any other razor I owned as they're all gone now and have been for a while now!!

Just checked the MK II and the question below was answered that the razor was made in Taiwan... That would explain the price point.

your comment of $60 USA razors...

To be accurate, I never made such a claim to knowledge of such a company, though you did ask if there were such a company in existence. I can see how my comment might have been interpreted that way though. You’re right that there isn’t. Originally my argument was:

Let’s not forget though that other companies are producing similar quality razors for about 1/3 the price.

I know RR, Fendrihan, and others do/are imports. That doesn’t negate the fact that they’re similar quality and lower cost.

And I’ll repeat that “made in the USA” shouldn’t be a selling point unless it’s bringing something to the table the others aren’t, something besides a bloated price point. It’s a ludicrous idea and a first world conundrum. Just my singular opinion of course.

Anyway, glad you’re enjoying your Timeless! Haven’t gotten the chance to try one yet! ATT’s SE offerings are also on my curiosity list.

Growing up I was proud of made in USA and still am.
made in usa.png

They had a sale????? Is there anything left???
That was months ago friend. I’m sure there’ll be more, later in the year.

Personally, the time came at the beginning of the year where I had the opportunity to get a high end AC SE...since no Brass Generals popped up, I ended up going for a Vector I found a good deal on. A decision I have not regretted! :cool:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

Personally, the time came at the beginning of the year where I had the opportunity to get a high end AC SE...since no Brass Generals popped up, I ended up going for a Vector I found a good deal on. A decision I have not regretted! :cool:
I have been thinking of trying an SE for some time now, and the AC format appeals to me the most at this time. Right now I am leaning toward an ATT SE1, as I can pick up a cap and head for $123 at Maggards, (they are in stock), and I have plenty of handles.
They seem to get good reviews as well as the Hawk SS(not in stock) and Vector.
I appreciate any info I can get on how AC razors compare to DE razors........

The brass Generals are rare as hens teeth.

I appreciate any info I can get on how AC razors compare to DE razors...
It’s hard to compare. Both styles give excellent shaves. I would say the AC format can get more done in less strokes simply because the blade width is greater. AC razors in general are almost always little to no chatter as the blades are thicker and they hold the blade very rigidly. I would also say that the AC format has the best chance of giving a shave with the best longevity with the right setup, similar to that obtainable by a traditional SR. Going the AC route will also give you an excuse to grab a Feather SS shavette...

The only real downside to the AC format is probably the greater cost for blades and far fewer options in razors.

Top Bottom