What's new

Colonial Razors

Nailed it, again.......

5AC62EDA-215A-46C6-A763-416684E57BC4.jpeg

Agree on the shave quality, I have enjoyed mine. I have been cleaning house a bit and just sold my brass general. I also have a new aluminum general that I will list up eventually. PM me if interested. I have a 2nd aluminum general that I am keeping. Superb with a feather super blade

My SS General, although nicely efficient, doesn't feel smooth and comfortable on my face.

I've always wondered if the brass variant would fair better for me.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

My SS General, although nicely efficient, doesn't feel smooth and comfortable on my face.

I've always wondered if the brass variant would fair better for me.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I was fortunate to be able to try out a nickel plated Brass General...fantastic shaver! Ultra smooth with a Feather Pro!

IMO, the hawk v2, General and SE1 are more similar than different. There are differences but they are subtle. I have all 3 in aluminum and I like them all. My preference is for the General, then the hawk neck and neck with the SE1.
All are excellent, especially with a Schick ProLine blade.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I hope to try the Hawk v2 & SE1 to compare to my brass General. The General is outstanding, IMHO.

8-26-18.Hawk.SV.Fern.Manchurian.640.JPG

I'm not sure which Hawk my SS DLC Hawk is, but I also have the SS General and the ATT razors. All four are similar and good. The SE2 is the most dissimilar of the four, but, used at a steep angle or at its design angle (neutral angle) it's not too hard to use and is certainly a good razor. The other three are best at the same steep angles in my experience. Riding the cap works less well with them for me.

Anyway...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Interesting post @Chan Eil Whiskers. I've got about 10 shaves in with my General & have been using a shallow angle, practically riding the cap, & have gotten wonderful shaves. I'll try your approach Jim, & go at it with a steep angle. I'm trying a Rex this week, so I won't get back to my General until this weekend or early next week.

When I had my SS General I always found shallow was the way to go to get the best results for me. I'd tried steep for a while and found that stubble always appeared quicker so I always stuck with shallow angles. I will say that the General, design wise, had a much easier and more forgiving angle of attack so it was easier on you if you strayed slightly...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Captain of the Design (meme).jpg

I'm not saying anyone should shave in any way except the way which works for them. I am saying I was wedded to cap riding, but found it wasn't the best way for me.

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

My path was through the injectors and just noticing I used them steep. I then just tried it with the AC razors and then the DE razors.

Captain of the Obvious (meme).jpg

Now I pretty much only use straights, so all I'm suggesting is try various things to find what works best for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have a SS version of the General, generously PIFd to me by Kris_Kringle. I love it. It's my best razor when I want a BBS shave with minimal effort.

You're quite right Jim, this is an individual taste type of pursuit. What works for you might not work for anyone else. I appreciate your comments, it's getting me to remember to experiment.

View attachment 962299

I'm not saying anyone should shave in any way except the way which works for them. I am saying I was wedded to cap riding, but found it wasn't the best way for me.

View attachment 962300

My path was through the injectors and just noticing I used them steep. I then just tried it with the AC razors and then the DE razors.

View attachment 962301

Now I pretty much only use straights, so all I'm suggesting is try various things to find what works best for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This chatter about "angles -- and whether "steep" or "shallow" is amusing to us old pros. After more than 60 years of shaving -- and. almost all of it with a blade -- we know when the blade is cutting beard, and when it is not. And, not by looking -- but rather by the sound, and by the feel.
bmwlaw

This chatter about "angles -- and whether "steep" or "shallow" is amusing to us old pros. After more than 60 years of shaving -- and. almost all of it with a blade -- we know when the blade is cutting beard, and when it is not. And, not by looking -- but rather by the sound, and by the feel.
bmwlaw

I think it’s more a function of necessity for explanation of a certain technique to the newbies than anything else; those wishing to understand what to do before needing to do. For those actually doing it, it’s as you say.

I have a SS version of the General, generously PIFd to me by Kris_Kringle. I love it. It's my best razor when I want a BBS shave with minimal effort.

By coincidence, the SS General I bought arrived today - it looks great! Nice heft, solid - my first SE razor (after a lot of DEs) - Planning to use it tomorrow (came with some feather pros) - looking forward to that shave...

By coincidence, the SS General I bought arrived today - it looks great! Nice heft, solid - my first SE razor (after a lot of DEs) - Planning to use it tomorrow (came with some feather pros) - looking forward to that shave...
Congrats, enjoy, it’s a terrific razor!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
bmwlaw

Absolutely. It's all about feel. That's how I discovered steep and design angle shaving.

Top Bottom