What's new

Colonial Razor

I just noticed that the Brass General is now back to $89.99 on their website.

Anyone sitting on the fence, you lose.

--Bob

I just noticed that the Brass General is now back to $89.99 on their website.

Anyone sitting on the fence, you lose.

--Bob

Many of the Brass owner probably flooded them with angry emails trying to get refunded some money.

This reminds me of when the, I believe it was '97, Toyota Supra cost $53,000 and in '98 they dropped the price to $40,000 for the same car. The Supra was an awesome car by the way!

I have the aluminum General and I had no intention of buying the brass one. The metal used wasn't going to make it better for me.

Got my shipping payment email today. $33.79(3600JPY) shipped for 90 proline blades. Cheap shipping.

Received my Proline AC blades yesterday, ten days after the payment email with slow, cheap shipping.

Not in a hurry to try one, the GEM system rules all.

Timing. I have the aluminum and like it a lot. Was think about the brass for $99, but passed. Then seriously thinking about it at $89, but passed. Then happened to be reading this thread today and at $59 I bit.

Also got a shipment of pro lines in. Maiden voyage should be in a few days once the current feather gives up.

First of all, most all stainless steel razors cost at least $160. Second you can't compare a Gem type razor to an AC type razor. Not everyone wants a Gem razor for $190. or more.
The reason they are raising the price on the black razor is the treatment cost more than they had planned. They said this when they first released it awhile back. They will sell because it is still a good deal.
Just curious, why do you say, "... you can't compare a Gem type razor to an AC type razor"?

Seems to me people can and do compare razors all the time. I sure do. So I'm sure I'm missing something here and that's why I'm asking.

A new Gem razor for $190 is no different to me than a new DE razor for the same price.

If you wouldn't mind, help me understand what you meant.

Just curious, why do you say, "... you can't compare a Gem type razor to an AC type razor"?

Seems to me people can and do compare razors all the time. I sure do. So I'm sure I'm missing something here and that's why I'm asking.

A new Gem razor for $190 is no different to me than a new DE razor for the same price.

If you wouldn't mind, help me understand what you meant.

I'm saying the black razor is still a great bargain at $80. and people will still buy it.
The reason I say you can't compare a Gem razor to an AC type razor because it like comparing apples to oranges. Sure of course you can compare anything you want but they are very different shaves.
I for one think the Gem blade is the dullest of all the blades we talk about.

Received my Proline AC blades yesterday, ten days after the payment email with slow, cheap shipping.
Not in a hurry to try one, the GEM system rules all.

The Gem blades are the dullest blades of the DE, AC, Gem group. Not even close to being as sharp as an AC type blade.

I'm saying the black razor is still a great bargain at $80. and people will still buy it.
The reason I say you can't compare a Gem razor to an AC type razor because it like comparing apples to oranges. Sure of course you can compare anything you want but they are very different shaves.
I for one think the Gem blade is the dullest of all the blades we talk about.
I'm glad I asked. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm glad I asked. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

By the way, I agree with you on the aluminum version. And I am really loving the AC blades. I have the Proline version coming. [emoji1]

And I have some Gem razors coming to experiment with as well.

I also believe that Colonial Razors are a real class act. Their customer service is incredible.

But I think that @rabidus is just stating what works best for him. Which is fine, that's his fact and to each their own. I personally love the AC style blades because the fact is it works for me, yourself and many others. Different strokes for different folks is all I'm saying.....:001_cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
@shave/brush and @rabidus
proxy.php

Can we all get back to the topic on the General Razor please.

I think for the price, the General SE razors are the best deal in razors today.

In your opinion, with the next release of the aluminum supposedly going to $80, does this change your mind on the value proposition?

I'm looking at both the General when it re-releases in aluminum or the ATT SE1 in aluminum. The price difference of $80 to $95 is minimal enough so was wondering which one I should be looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In your opinion, with the next release of the aluminum supposedly going to $80, does this change your mind on the value proposition?

I'm looking at both the General when it re-releases in aluminum or the ATT SE1 in aluminum. The price difference of $80 to $95 is minimal enough so was wondering which one I should be looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the ATT SE1 in Stainless Steel and the General in aluminum. The ATT sits in it's box. The General aluminum is my daily driver. If that tells you anything. Once I get the brass General in a few days, I intend to be using it instead of the aluminum and the aluminum will be my travel razor.

The black aluminum razor is worth $80. and is still a great bargain because of the black finish is quite special.

I have said it here before, that IMO the ATT SE and General shave very similar. For awhile I preferred the General aluminum head on a stainless steel handle. That combo felt very nice to me but lately I have been mostly using my brass General. It would be a coin toss for me.

Last edited:
I just ordered a brass General. The Colonial site said it was "discontinued" but it took my order. I was getting out of the AC platform, and here I am.... just a sucker for a beautiful brass razor.

Top Bottom