What's new

Colonial General V2

D

dangerousrazor

Received a notification of Colonial General V2 release from Colonial razors.

They say it will be in the market tomorrow. Made of 316 SS and it will be sold at $185

For more info, I will leave the link below.

The General

The original design was well received by many. If this new version can at least match the original's performance (let alone exceed it), this razor will be a hit. I'm especially fond of this new razor's design. The question is, whether or not I can restrain myself from purchasing one tomorrow, or not.

~Kai

D

dangerousrazor

The original design was well received by many. If this new version can at least match the original's performance (let alone exceed it), this razor will be a hit. I'm especially fond of this new razor's design. The question is, whether or not I can restrain myself from purchasing one tomorrow, or not.

~Kai
I prefer new design to the old one. and I welcome reduced weight of SS General. What I dont like about it is its price. :(

I prefer new design to the old one. and I welcome reduced weight of SS General. What I dont like about it is its price. :(
proxy.php

I wanna get it, but it is too expensive for my budget

I wasn’t aware of the v1 but I recall from reviews that it was sub $100.

$185 for this, Is a Re-think. I got just over a day to think on it as I would want to get my order in quick rather than risk them getting sold out

Arrrrgh ! I like the look of the v1 handle . But not a deal breaker

I spent a small fortune on my Paradigm SE which is great.

Do I now spend $ 185 on this??

I wanna get it, but it is too expensive for my budget

$185 for this, Is a Re-think. I got just over a day to think on it as I would want to get my order in quick rather than risk them getting sold out

Arrrrgh ! I like the look of the v1 handle . But not a deal breaker

I spent a small fortune on my Paradigm SE which is great.

Do I now spend $ 185 on this??
proxy.php

proxy.php

My opinion - for the same money ($185.00) one could buy a Vector, a razor with a proven record of mostly very positive reviews. Buying the new General may or may not prove to be worth the same money. I have never shaved with either razor, but the Vector is on my shortlist. I too will wait for the pioneers on the forum to test out the new General. I have enough arrows in my back.

Btw, recently a brass General went for $83.00 and aluminum went for $80.00 on eBay.

Have an aluminum and a brass V1 and frankly I prefer the aluminum (I think it's the shorter handle and the mammoth weight on the brass that deters me). If this was priced like the initial offerings I would be inclined to give it a try but I think I will unfortunately pass. I am quite happy with what I currently have.

My opinion - for the same money ($185.00) one could buy a Vector, a razor with a proven record of mostly very positive reviews. Buying the new General may or may not prove to be worth the same money. I have never shaved with either razor, but the Vector is on my shortlist. I too will wait for the pioneers on the forum to test out the new General. I have enough arrows in my back.

Btw, recently a brass General went for $83.00 and aluminum went for $80.00 on eBay.
The Vector is $10 more, but still in the same range. Personally I settled on four Feather AC type razors and got rid of the rest. The original black aluminum General is one of them, and I have no desire to try the Vector or v2 General as anything newer and better as they will be only incrementally better and not a real game changer.

I like the look of the new General a lot, but that price is frightening. I reckon that for a buyer in the UK the final cost will be well over £200. The Vector I bought from a UK-based vendor was a fair bit less than that, and for my money I got a superbly made razor with an unusual but very effective design. So, I'm being asked to pay quite a bit more for an unproven razor which, although quite attractive, doesn't look as if it brings anything new to the game. I will not be rushing to get one any time soon.

Yeah yeah yeah .... ordered ... it’s on it’s way to Dubai - I wanted it. I did it. I was in 2 minds but missed out on the original general, they won’t make the Paradigm SE again - so I got this

Anyone else succumbed to the lure?? Or am I the only madman ?

The price. I ordered one but maybe they will have to move their production back to China to be competitive against some stiff opposition.

The V1 Stainless first release sold for $69 but for the next release went up to $99 which is what it sold for until they discontinued it. That version was also imported from China also and the V2 is made here in the USA along with being changed to 316SS so the price falls in line with similar offerings out there...
The Vector actually sells for $195 machined finish and $240 for a polished and made from 303SS instead of 316SS... The actual grade difference between 303 and 316 are minimal but just thought I'd point that out anyway. I would also point out that The Vector at one point had absolutely no track record at all just like all new offerings. I can say first hand that I've previously owned both the Aluminum and Stainless Generals and they both were outstanding high quality razors. I just happened to buy a Ti Timeless which made every other razor I owned and everything was sold off!! I do sometimes wish I hadn't let the SS General go though...
If this was priced like the initial offerings I would be inclined to give it a try but I think I will unfortunately pass.
The initial offering was made of 303SS and made in China so your request does seem a little selfish to be asking... Just my opinion...

This new/V2 General is in my future, just not right now due to financial constraints. The whole point of the new design was to produce a "100% Made in the USA" razor, as well as make a few improvements based on feedback from users. I applaud their effort.

The original design, which is one of the most celebrated AC offerings devised, was designed in the US, but made overseas (China). I think their pricing is competitive with the market for offerings of similar design and production. Hopefully I can chime in with my own firsthand experience with one more sooner than later.

~Kai

Preface: I’m a HUGE fan of Colonial, I think the Twins are solid Gents and the General is the fan fav of the 5 SE’s I have. I ordered 2 Brass Generals when the Pre-Orders went live; I ordered 2 Silversmiths when they went live....and I was on a Holiday in a London.

I wanted to execute on a V2 General however I got that “pay me” on another razor that came available and you all know the drill, wait in line and when your ticket comes up in a year or so you order and pay, or he’s not making it....

Having said that:

I have a couple questions and statements for The Twins with this $185 V2 General Release....

1/ I need longer handle options, I can’t do these tiny handles, spending too much on Handles...
2/ Happy about made in USA, but I want Colonial Razor branding and USA on my razor, my Filly says Spain, my Thiers states France, etc...
3/ Because Colonial is tiny boutique brand, I want my 316L numbered and I want it to say 316L
4/ I want my V2 mirror polished...
5/ Love Colonial Packaging, but put a branded sticker on the box

I’m very eager to hear everyone’s review as my Brass General V1 is brilliant, one of my favs!

I want one, but at $185 I need a 101mm Handle, branding, and mirror polishing. Unfortunately as a commoner, I have to continue using my Brass General V1 and envy all you folks that got a V2.

+1

Top Bottom