What's new

Colonial General V2

I purchased a v.2 and have been using it for the majority of shaves since it arrived. It's my first AC razor, so I don't have too much experience that allows me to provide very good comparisons.

I had tried a brass General last year on a pass around and liked it very much. My first few shaves with the SS v.2 seemed a little disappointing. The shaves were perfectly fine, but I didn't really think that they held up to my memories of the brass one I'd used before. But after the first few shaves, things really improved for me. I get a very smooth (generally BBS) 2-pass shave without any irritation when using the v.2. It's been great to use on weekday mornings.

I recently bought a Hawk v2 just to see how it performs. I've enjoyed the shaves from this one as well, but I have a perceptibly better shave with the General. (From a value standpoint, I don't know if the General is 8-10 times better, but I find the General to give me a shave that's closer and smoother than the Hawk.)

I've been using Prolines for most of these shaves, but just shifted to a Feather Super Pro yesterday. The jury is still out on that one.

I purchased a v.2 and have been using it for the majority of shaves since it arrived. It's my first AC razor, so I don't have too much experience that allows me to provide very good comparisons.

I had tried a brass General last year on a pass around and liked it very much. My first few shaves with the SS v.2 seemed a little disappointing. The shaves were perfectly fine, but I didn't really think that they held up to my memories of the brass one I'd used before. But after the first few shaves, things really improved for me. I get a very smooth (generally BBS) 2-pass shave without any irritation when using the v.2. It's been great to use on weekday mornings.

I recently bought a Hawk v2 just to see how it performs. I've enjoyed the shaves from this one as well, but I have a perceptibly better shave with the General. (From a value standpoint, I don't know if the General is 8-10 times better, but I find the General to give me a shave that's closer and smoother than the Hawk.)

I've been using Prolines for most of these shaves, but just shifted to a Feather Super Pro yesterday. The jury is still out on that one.

i liked the V1 SS General and now that I have used the V2 I would say it has very similar efficiency. A really smooth shave and so close, it’s a pleasure to use.

Just popping back in to say that the Feather Pro Super is a winner for me in the General. I've gotten some of my very best shaves ever the past two days by doing a two pass shave (S -> N then ear to nose) using the General, a Pro Super blade, Grooming Dept preshave and Grooming Dept Angel soap.

Debating between the V2General and the Vector. If the Vector isn’t in stock soon I’ll be purchasing the General just because it’s available

Debating between the V2General and the Vector. If the Vector isn’t in stock soon I’ll be purchasing the General just because it’s available
Unless you have a strong preference for lighter razors, I don't think you can wrong either way.

Their (Blackland’s) production machine just got back up and running after a breakage I hear. They’ve got a waitlist to fulfill, then hopefully they’ll come back in stock.

Unless you have a strong preference for lighter razors, I don't think you can wrong either way.
Really the only reason I’m holding out for the Vector is that I’ve heard it’s more efficient. That and I’ve read the General is a mild razor, I’m thinking OneBlade mild and that might be a little to mild for me. I guess I could always get both.

Really the only reason I’m holding out for the Vector is that I’ve heard it’s more efficient. That and I’ve read the General is a mild razor, I’m thinking OneBlade mild and that might be a little to mild for me. I guess I could always get both.
I did 2 head to head shaves with the Vector and a brass General in a passaround at another place. Here are my thoughts from the 2nd shave:

I worked hard to minimize the pressure that I used on both sides. I moved my hand down on the Vector handle so that I was only using the lower half of the handle and tried very hard to not press in to my face. With the General, I didn't have to do much as the weight of the razor and head just naturally pull the blade down.

The results were better - particularly with the Vector as far as comfort. But I would rate the razors as I did yesterday. The General was smoother and a little more comfortable than the Vector, while the Vector gave me a little closer shave. As I was shaving this morning, I thought that I'd probably grab the General more often given the choice, but that could change tomorrow.

FWIW, I like my colonial v2 so much, I canceled my vector pre order. I don’t use ac razors enough to justify having both on the counter.

For anyone looking for a new handle for their General razors, Colonial is releasing a new handle soon. It will replace the current General handle and will be the handle they use for future razors also according to FB...
General handle.jpg

The more I read about the General V2 the more I would like to try it. However, I just don't see that happening until I can buy one directly from a vendor in the UK. Other US producers have retailers they sell through over here, and I just wish Colonial would do the same.

14D517A6-4DC7-4F9E-BBBF-5401D6326D16.jpeg

head and neck shave today with the v2 General
Razorock “what the puck” orange soap

bbs on my head with no nicks no burn
dfs on my neck (can’t get bbs with any razor without a cut or irritation)

with the paradigm SE being my only other SE, the 2General will always have some stiff competition

I am still finding that the angle has to be spot on to make sure that I don’t have “metallic” aftertaste after each stroke.

still a great razor. I was thinking of using one of my high end DE razors, but declined. I haven’t used my Paradigm since I got the 2General as I really want to give it a proper go

i have now ordered the feather super pro blades and I think (guess) that will improve both razors

it is a great razor, but I feel that the paradigm is smoother. I will still keep the general and defo have it in rotation

I just wished there was an option to have had it in polished

The General V2 is my first SE and in found that by shave 6 and 7 I’ve finally got the hang of it and almost feel as comfortable zipping around as with my blackbird.

I’ve tried it with a feather pro, but have a sample Schick Proline and Feather Pro super ready to try.

the shaves have been super close and very smooth, especially once I nailed the angle. Loving this razor.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I love my V1 Brass. The old ones were machined in China. Now they’re n the USA. It’ll cost more that way. If I find myself with the money I may try the V2.

Ordered one last week and received it on my way to work today. Can’t wait to get my blades in the mail so I can get a shave in with this bad boy. One thing I must ask however, does the handle screw off? I tried unsuccessfully for a second right after I opened it as I didn’t want to strip anything, but didn’t know if I was doing anything wrong or not.

Ordered one last week and received it on my way to work today. Can’t wait to get my blades in the mail so I can get a shave in with this bad boy. One thing I must ask however, does the handle screw off? I tried unsuccessfully for a second right after I opened it as I didn’t want to strip anything, but didn’t know if I was doing anything wrong or not.

it does screw off. What blades did you get? I’ve had some good luck with featherpros and Schick Prolines. Just popped in Kai Pinks and today’s shave was great.

9B1E3CD2-94FB-44DE-A51B-CC0E27CA8C4B.jpeg

Popped a Kai Pink (also called mild?) and while the first shave with the blade was just ok, today’s shave was better.

A three pass affair and quite smooth. I’m thinking the efficiency might be better than the Schick, but time will tell. Perhaps these will be a good middle ground between the efficiency of the Feather and the smoothness of the Schick.

it does screw off. What blades did you get? I’ve had some good luck with featherpros and Schick Prolines. Just popped in Kai Pinks and today’s shave was great.

Ordered some feather blades from amazon and some proline blades from bull goose. Should last me a whole year or I hope as I’m entering the 2020 sabbatical.

Top Bottom