What's new

Colonial General V2 Revised

I had wanted a Colonial General V2 , but was not a fan of the original handle. I’ve preordered the new revised General and really like the handle. I have no questions about the shave, I already know it’s great. I own a Silversmith, their DE, and love it. Their Version 1 General was A runaway hit, but their new revised handle is gorgeous. Their are a limited number available, so I would order soon if you want this beauty! I took these images directly from their site with their permission. I have no commercial connection, just an enthusiastic customer.
C3CD070D-191B-4010-B483-8D7B2F9F6A7E.jpeg
827F757F-7C88-4AA1-BE37-7A5A86EA67EA.jpeg
3C464213-1D0C-428D-BC94-6BF6097E105A.jpeg

I just went ahead and ordered. I am looking forward to comparing to my Vector and Brass General.
I ordered mine the day the new handle went live. I also own a Vector and love it! Unfortunately, neither of us will take delivery until March. I guess we can compare notes then! I'm fortunate to live only 15 miles from Colonial Razor.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I planned to hold out for a V2 Brass. Sent an email to Colonial Razors to inquire if it was in the works. Kyle got back to me stating a V2 might be in Bronze rather than Brass. He also responded to my concern that I am tired of stainless steel razors rusting by going over how most stainless razors are made from 303 Stainless while the General is 316L Stainless which is harder to machine and more resistant to rust. Researched the steel a bit and placed my order.

I planned to hold out for a V2 Brass. Sent an email to Colonial Razors to inquire if it was in the works. Kyle got back to me stating a V2 might be in Bronze rather than Brass. He also responded to my concern that I am tired of stainless steel razors rusting by going over how most stainless razors are made from 303 Stainless while the General is 316L Stainless which is harder to machine and more resistant to rust. Researched the steel a bit and placed my order.
It's great stuff! Their Silversmith, which I own is also 316, as is the Seki AS-D2. Both are CNC machined as is the General V2. I have the Occams DE which is 316L also, but is a MIMS process, not CNC, but it still is a great razor.

If you've got 303SS razors that are rusting it more than likely is something you are doing wrong and not the razors fault!! There is very little difference other than hardness between 303 and 316.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
If you've got 303SS razors that are rusting it more than likely is something you are doing wrong and not the razors fault!! There is very little difference other than hardness between 303 and 316.

I had some rust on a Timeless inside the top cap. Basically I’m not a fan of having to disassemble to dry the inside of the razor when my vintages don’t require the same maintenance. Since then I dry inside the caps of my stainless razors but I do consider it a drawback of steel vs brass/bronze/chrome.

I had some rust on a Timeless inside the top cap. Basically I’m not a fan of having to disassemble to dry the inside of the razor when my vintages don’t require the same maintenance. Since then I dry inside the caps of my stainless razors but I do consider it a drawback of steel vs brass/bronze/chrome.
My point exactly... The same thing will happen to a 316SS razor if you mistreat it also. I disassemble any razor I've ever used after every shave and rinse and wipe it down. It takes less time than a lot of other things I do and I never have to worry about things like you've experienced.

I have an extensive background in fasteners and decided once to go the cheaper route and put 316SS fasteners in a bumper I put on a Jeep back in the day to save myself some money not going with the chrome fasteners and within 3 days they were all rusted and pitted. Big mistake as 5/8" button socket caps screws aren't cheap and in the long run I still ended up buying the chrome, but I did learn my lesson though...

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My point exactly... The same thing will happen to a 316SS razor if you mistreat it also. I disassemble any razor I've ever used after every shave and rinse and wipe it down. It takes less time than a lot of other things I do and I never have to worry about things like you've experienced.

I have an extensive background in fasteners and decided once to go the cheaper route and put 316SS fasteners in a bumper I put on a Jeep back in the day to save myself some money not going with the chrome fasteners and within 3 days they were all rusted and pitted. Big mistake as 5/8" button socket caps screws aren't cheap and in the long run I still ended up buying the chrome, but I did learn my lesson though...

Great point, but from a knife geek perspective there is more chromium on the 316 that 303 or 304 which should help provide a decent bit more corrosion protection given the purpose of a razor.

I thought the General 1 in aluminum was a bit mild. Maybe it had something to do with the light weight. Is the V2 a bit more aggressive & efficient?

I thought the General 1 in aluminum was a bit mild. Maybe it had something to do with the light weight. Is the V2 a bit more aggressive & efficient?
I've had the V1 Aluminum and V1 Stainless and by far the Stainless was a much more efficient razor but I haven't tried the V2 Stainless. From what I've read the V2 is much like its predecessor in the efficiency department but being a more sleak design is where it was improved as the maneuverability made it more efficient to some.

I would've purchased the V2 when it came out originally but afraid its fate would be the same as the V1 was when I added my Timeless to the cabinet and it made every other razor I had obsolete and they had to go!! Only room for 1 razor in my cabinet...

597AAE04-8D77-46CE-B60A-CE590822D02C.jpeg

The General V2 has been a fantastic razor, one that ultimately had me unload my beloved blackbird. I find it smooth and often find myself shocked after a 3 pass shave at how good it was. Often BBS 12+ hours later.

I never owned the V1 so cannot compare, unfortunately.

Not a fan of the new handle. The head would look great on a Matte ikon bulldog though. Some may prefer a titanium handle as well.

My stainless steel razors that I have and do not clean between shaves, show what looks like tea stains on them that never get any worst than that. It can easily be cleaned anytime you want. Not a big deal. I think 316 SS is an overkill.

Began the process of polishing the General V2 head & put it on a first generation Rockwell stainless handle. Have a couple rounds of polishing to go, but it’s a great combination.
6DB516DB-E00F-4A9B-9289-3D63658AC24D.jpeg
E91AF820-B024-43A8-9301-AE29F5B385D4.jpeg

Top Bottom