What's new

Colonial General SS

I've never tried a Gem type razor before though I tried the Supply Provision V1 on the pass around they had going here and there couldn't be 2 razors more different from each other. Though I only had it for a week, it was a week too long. I think I only had 1 shave in 4-5 that I didn't have any irritation or weepers from it.

I started with the aluminum version of the General and moved to the stainless version when it became available and sold the aluminum as the stainless was that much better a razor. The SS General with the right blade in it rivals most razors that are in the $200+ range in efficiency and smoothness. At $99 this razor is an absolute steal!! It is only 1 of 3 razors that are in my rotation that also includes a '61 Fatboy and a Titanium Timeless .95SB. I am set for life with the razors I own...

Wow, you're really tempting me to buy a stainless General...
I like the Supply Provision, but sometimes I still get weepers in some sensitive areas. I've only heard good things about the AC razors so far. Thanks for your input.

I have the Supply SE V2 and used it with the Personna and Chinese Chick blades with all the plates and I find the SS General with Kai Mild just as smooth but more efficient than plate 3 on the Supply. Then there are the Prolines and the Feather Pro and Super that turn it up a notch. So you could say that its shave can change with the blade.
Yes, it's nice that you can change the level of aggressiveness with the blades. I prefer plate 2 on the Supply Provision, so which blade would you recommend for the General?

Yes, it's nice that you can change the level of aggressiveness with the blades. I prefer plate 2 on the Supply Provision, so which blade would you recommend for the General?
I honestly recommend to buy a couple of blades of each brand and try them. They are all good but I find the Kai mild the most forgiving. The Proline the sharpest/smoothest. And the Feather Pro kinda in between. I have never used the Feather Super, never needed to. Sorry I couldn’t be more help. One thing that I found to be a problem at first was the extra width of the razor and weight. Around my neck I had to resort using the Gillette slide, J hooking and shaving with the razor in a slanted manner but it all became second nature at this point. As for the weight, well the Supply is heavier so I guess you’ll get used to it.

I use Kai Titan Milds and Feather Pro Guards.
The Feather Pro Guards give an efficient and smooth shave. The Kais are nice too but the Feathers are the best for me.

I have 2 General razors, the brass and the aluminum ones. To me they shave the same. The brass is much heavier. It is heavier than the stainless steel one from what others have said. I love the shave I get from both of them. The last few shaves I have been using the alum one with a short stainless handle. I like the balance it has. It has moved up to first place as my favorite razor.

General_Thater.JPG

I have the brass and the stainless. In my hands, the stainless seems to be a bit more aggressive / have a bit more blade feel.

Shave #19 w/ a Proline in my Stainless General on 4 days growth yesterday and I'm still looking for that 5 O'clock shadow to show up this morning!! Easily on par with my Titanium Timeless .95 SB for smoothness and efficiency. Too bad the Timeless gets 4/1 ratio of shave time, I seriously might have to re-think that one...
20180529_075517.jpg

To think these are still available on Colonial's site. This razor is a steal for only $99...:shocked:

Couldn't agree more about the General and the Timeless. I'm using an SS General with Proline and a Timeless SS .68 the most these days, and the General is easily on a par with the Timeless for smoothness and efficiency. Timeless does get a little more use, mostly because of how it looks, but I love everything about the General. Am waiting for V.2 to come out.

I mainly use the general for my head shaving. For my face I use the BB OC, Charcoal lvl2, Timeless .95 OC in stainless
and the asylum RX. I also have the timeless Ti SB .95 coming on Monday. All of these are too aggressive for my head so I use the General and the Rockwell 6 plate for head shaving.As far as blades for the SE's I use the prolines for the asylum RX on my face and the Feather super-pros in the General for my head.

Today's shave was sublime!! 4 days growth, (been lazy the last few days), SS General / Proline on shave #13 and 2.5 passes later just smooooth.... I'm not sure what they could change in the V2 that would make it a better razor as the V1 is top of the line for me. I just need to rotate it in a little more often with the Ti Timeless .95 SB is all. I think the reason I have kept this razor is it compliments the Timeless very well in the rotation.

The General is a great razor. It's on the mild side but it gets the job done. I prefer short handles so I have a 3 inch stainless steel handle on my aluminum General. This razor has been seeing the most use lately.

General Thater.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-8-12_16-9-38.png

My SS General and my ATT SE2/SE1 razors went on an extended journey. So, I bought myself another AC razor trying to avoid AC withdrawal syndrome.

Hawk.AC.SS.DLC.640.8-12-18.JPG

I like this razor. It is the SS Hawk DLC. It's "sold out" but I got a new one on the BST, and am happy to have it.

Doesn't mean I don't miss the Colonial General, but it is doing an important road trip job.

Happy shaves,

Jim

i have been using the stainless general for a couple of weeks so far and think its great. the kai blades i own dont fit easily....the prolines sure do though.

Can't believe its been 3 months since anyone's posted in this thread but I just received and update of sorts from Kyle @Colonial Razors and it is looking like the V2 SS General may be something that won't make it to see the light of day and have turned their focus right now to release their 1st DE around Jan 2019... They think the future of shaving is in the DE platform and thus what they are focusing on for now.

Top Bottom