What's new

Colonial General SS

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks folks.

Jim, no machine marks except for just above the knurling on the handle and it is nearly imperceptible. After using the brass and SS for a while, it seemed to me the brass was a smidge smoother for me. So after seeing yours, I stared to wonder if a polished finish would help with some additional glide. I reached out to one of the several vendors around who does restoration work to get a quote (for my General as well as my unpolished Sabre). I suspect this is a relative easy job compared to full on restoration. Decided to take the plunge for both and glad I did. Feel free to PM me for more details.

I look forward to comparison reports on the shaves. Polished SS General vs brass General.

(I do not have the brass General.)

A brass General with a knurled handle like the SS General would be a nice razor just in case anybody from Colonial happens to be reading our discussion. I even bought a couple of brass handles off ebay in case I come across a brass General.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim if you want to try my Brass Generall for a shave comparison let me know and PM me your address. My thoughts are if you polished your SS they should be very similar in shaves. If yours wasn't polished I'd say the Brass would have better glide. Efficiency wise there has been talk that the Brass is more efficient but I find that sort of hard to believe but hey ya never know.

Let me know my friend.

Frank

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim if you want to try my Brass Generall for a shave comparison let me know and PM me your address. My thoughts are if you polished your SS they should be very similar in shaves. If yours wasn't polished I'd say the Brass would have better glide. Efficiency wise there has been talk that the Brass is more efficient but I find that sort of hard to believe but hey ya never know.

Let me know my friend.

Frank

Frank, let me hold off on that for the moment, but I appreciate the offer. Right now I'm so much enjoying the SE1 that I can hardly stand it.

Down the road, I know I'll be more into experimental shaving again.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I received an update last night from Colonial and the Feb release has been pushed out to 1st or 2nd week of March. This release will be larger than the last 2 that sold out in minutes also...

FYI... There is a Titanium version in the works. They are looking for a shop here in the USA to make them so they won't come with a price tag anywhere near the stainless version!!

I have all the Generals so far, but I prefer the SS and the brass to the alumunum one because of heft. Unfortunately my favorite P-30's are too mild for me in these razors so I use the super-pro to good effect.
The titanium will be lighter than the brass and SS, so I guess I'll pass, but on the other hand, my collection of Gererals will be incomplete.
On another note, a few months ago I noticed than all my usual settings on all the razors on the rotation started to feel not as efficient as before.
The General was fine with a Pro, but not any more. Now it needs a super-pro to do the same stellar job. The 6S @6 was perfection. Now plate 6 on a feather is next to useless for me. The R41 that was a killer before, now is perfection.
This happened right around the time I turned 56.
Any explanation please?

I received an update last night from Colonial and the Feb release has been pushed out to 1st or 2nd week of March. This release will be larger than the last 2 that sold out in minutes also...

FYI... There is a Titanium version in the works. They are looking for a shop here in the USA to make them so they won't come with a price tag anywhere near the stainless version!!

Darn. I expected to have my General in hand by now. Hopefully this is the last delay.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have all the Generals so far, but I prefer the SS and the brass to the alumunum one because of heft. Unfortunately my favorite P-30's are too mild for me in these razors so I use the super-pro to good effect.
The titanium will be lighter than the brass and SS, so I guess I'll pass, but on the other hand, my collection of Gererals will be incomplete.
On another note, a few months ago I noticed than all my usual settings on all the razors on the rotation started to feel not as efficient as before.
The General was fine with a Pro, but not any more. Now it needs a super-pro to do the same stellar job. The 6S @6 was perfection. Now plate 6 on a feather is next to useless for me. The R41 that was a killer before, now is perfection.
This happened right around the time I turned 56.
Any explanation please?

They say our whiskers become more coarse and wiry and difficult as we acquire wisdom.

Yoda-Happens to every guy.jpg

Is that true? I have no idea.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Since this is a discussion for The SS General I’ll ask it here. What handle do you guys use with the General and other AC Razors? I’m trying to find something to balance it a bit better with out breaking the bank.

@Sharp&Shiny
I've used the included SS handle it comes with and though there is nothing wrong with it, recently I've been using a Weber Wave handle that has been sitting here unused for several months now and like it as well... I would still be very happy with the supplied handle as it lends great balance and is knurled to prevent slippage.

proxy.php

Yeah I have been using the original too, it’s good but I think I want to try and get a ATT Colossus handle for better balance.

Had my first shave with the SS General last night. Very nice, basically the same as the Razorock Hawk V2 on an SS handle. Maybe slightly more efficient but really they could be the same shave. One thing I feel like has been understated is the weight of the SS General; it is quite heavy imo. Quality piece of machinery with a great shave.

I use the SS and the brass Generals on a super pro to get the efficiency I need and indeed this gives me a very comfortable shave. The alu Hawk I have is not as efficient, but I haven't used it with the super pro yet.

Had my first shave with the SS General last night. Very nice, basically the same as the Razorock Hawk V2 on an SS handle. Maybe slightly more efficient but really they could be the same shave. One thing I feel like has been understated is the weight of the SS General; it is quite heavy imo. Quality piece of machinery with a great shave.

I believe the Brass General is even a little heavier than the Stainless version. I know when I first got the brass one I couldn't believe the weight. Now I'm used to it, and like it.

Top Bottom