What's new

Colognes From Shave Companies - Thoughts?

We all love the smell of our shave creams. I’ve also noticed that many of these makers (Proraso, TOBS, Trumpers) offer colognes based on these same scents (win), and they’re usually priced at a good value (win), however, in the general fragrance world I don’t seem them appear much.

That could be do to their niche nature, but I also was curious as to their quality. Do they smell good, do they last compared to fleeting aftershave?

I have experience with a few. I didn't find Trumpers Eucris anything of merit, short duration on me, which is good since I didn't care for the scent. I've got DR Harris Arlington which is a great open of fruit, floral and wood, but dries down to just a little woods on me. I've got two by Chiseled Face Groomatorium, Sherlock and Ghost Town Barber (soaps and aftershaves too). I've had numerous compliments on GTB, the scent is slightly complex, has a long duration but goes on a bit strong (apply an hour before you go out). Sherlock is also a great scent, much milder application, but a good long last to it.

TOBS Windsor is a great scent. Just wish I could get more than 3 hours out of it.

Stirling's makes a good one for the $$. (Around $20 range) I have their barbershop and Varen

Barbershop is a little too vanilla sweet for my tastes. But I really like the Varen a lot.

I've tried colognes/EDTs from PAA, Stirling, Murphy & McNeil, Barrister & Mann and Wholly Kaw...I prefer stronger scents that stick to me throughout the day, otherwise I feel there's no point in applying such chemical concoctions, that said;

PAA fails spectacularly in that regard and hardly lasts an hour or two which is a shame because they have some great scents otherwise, for those that prefer alcohol based aftershaves however theirs would be second to none.

Stirling which I have the most experience with, is hit or miss for me on scent longevity, but their Haverford scent knocks it out of the park in both scent and longevity, followed somewhat closely by Sandpiper

M&M I've only tried Kells, was a nice soap scent but underwhelming for an EDT and also didn't last worth a crap, bottle also came off to me as being a "cheapy" looking product

Tried Barrister & Mann's "Angelique Fougere" or whatever it's called as Maggard's still had some and....yeah just....no. Had a strange candy like smell to it and wound up giving me a headache all day, probably allergic to some ingredient they put in there. In spite of that, if they ever make their "Baudelaire" EDT on West Coast Shaving available again I'd love to give it a try regardless as I love that scent.

Finally Wholly Kaw....WOW their La Fougere Parfaite is exactly what I was looking for. A Brut scent that I like and sticks with you all day. I intend to explore their EDTs more seeing as theirs actually may actually be what I'm looking for, the downside is they don't appear to offer samplers like the others I've mentioned but I'm thinking whatever else I want to try wont be too much of a leap of faith.

My experiences with these fragrances (I've tried both “TOBS” and “GFT”) is that they’re SHORT lived, esp GFT’s line. 🙁

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Generally I try to buy stuff from dedicated product companies.
Sometimes a soap or razor maker might have a hit with a fragrance, but I usually purchase fragrances from perfumers.
Soap makers are probably closer to perfumers than others, but you know what I mean.
I like Harley Davidsons, but I ain't buying coffee from them.
If there's an off product hit from a company, someone here will mention it and then I'll look into it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Generally I try to buy stuff from dedicated product companies.
Sometimes a soap or razor maker might have a hit with a fragrance, but I usually purchase fragrances from perfumers.
Soap makers are probably closer to perfumers than others, but you know what I mean.
That is my take as well.

After much experimentation and considerable investment, I decided to spend my frag money with the pros. meaning bonafide perfume houses.

id need multiple lifetimes to try everything out there by the established experts, so I don’t want to spend anymore time on the shavesoap efforts.

give me a redolent shavesoap, a simple AS and a great perfume. for the win.

I have tried the Mr. Taylor cologne from TOBS. (Obtained from Maggards). It is very powdery and my wife says its old man. It doesn't have longevity. I also Tried the TOBS Sandalwood aftershave. I wondered if Maggards mixed this one up with the cologne. It is very strong. To me it doesn't smell like the Sandalwood shaving cream.
I just got the Haverford EDT from Stirling and I agree it is long lasting and my wife cant tell the difference between Haverford EDT and Tom Fords tobacco Vanille.

I think fragrances from the shave companies are hit or miss.

I've tried colognes/EDTs from PAA, Stirling, Murphy & McNeil, Barrister & Mann and Wholly Kaw...I prefer stronger scents that stick to me throughout the day, otherwise I feel there's no point in applying such chemical concoctions, that said;

PAA fails spectacularly in that regard and hardly lasts an hour or two which is a shame because they have some great scents otherwise, for those that prefer alcohol based aftershaves however theirs would be second to none.

Stirling which I have the most experience with, is hit or miss for me on scent longevity, but their Haverford scent knocks it out of the park in both scent and longevity, followed somewhat closely by Sandpiper

M&M I've only tried Kells, was a nice soap scent but underwhelming for an EDT and also didn't last worth a crap, bottle also came off to me as being a "cheapy" looking product

Tried Barrister & Mann's "Angelique Fougere" or whatever it's called as Maggard's still had some and....yeah just....no. Had a strange candy like smell to it and wound up giving me a headache all day, probably allergic to some ingredient they put in there. In spite of that, if they ever make their "Baudelaire" EDT on West Coast Shaving available again I'd love to give it a try regardless as I love that scent.

Finally Wholly Kaw....WOW their La Fougere Parfaite is exactly what I was looking for. A Brut scent that I like and sticks with you all day. I intend to explore their EDTs more seeing as theirs actually may actually be what I'm looking for, the downside is they don't appear to offer samplers like the others I've mentioned but I'm thinking whatever else I want to try wont be too much of a leap of faith.
I'm surprised that PAA EDT's don't last. They charge double what other artisan soapers usually charge for their EDT's. Thank you for the review much appreciated.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I generally don’t use frag after aftershave application. I got WSP tobacco edp because that was one of my favorite scents. Tbh I don’t use it often. I use that scent in winter and then it’s just one of many in my rotation so the opportunity to use it is small.
I have the edp of tobs Eton college. It’s ok. I used it yesterday. As a frag goes I think it’s on the weak side but similar to the aftershave. Doesn’t knock my socks off.
I have TH edp lime. That’s as weak as the aftershave. Thumbs down.
Lastly I recommend Proraso lime azur edp only because it’s on sale and well priced.
Based on
My limited recent experience is agree that it’s best to go with the pros on edp and cologne. I used to have several polos and a few others back in the day.

I'm surprised that PAA EDT's don't last. They charge double what other artisan soapers usually charge for their EDT's. Thank you for the review much appreciated.
FWIW, I have the exact opposite experience. Maybe it's body chemistry? I have applied some and put a shirt on, wore the shirt 1.5 days, took it off and threw it in a pile. 2 days later, I picked it up and it still smelled great! I really don't consider these EDTs, more EDP, and I think that's why they cost more. It would also explain wildly different experiences. An EDP is a more personal, up close scent.

FWIW, I have the exact opposite experience. Maybe it's body chemistry? I have applied some and put a shirt on, wore the shirt 1.5 days, took it off and threw it in a pile. 2 days later, I picked it up and it still smelled great! I really don't consider these EDTs, more EDP, and I think that's why they cost more. It would also explain wildly different experiences. An EDP is a more personal, up close scent.
Yes body chemistry plays a huge part. Do not judge a fragrance until you wear it. I have Fine Green Vetiver after shave. My wife and I don't care for the smell from the bottle but after I put it on it smells great.

YMMV of course but for me, yeah theyre not worth the price it seems

Barrister and Mann Seville EDT is the best one I’ve found. Definitely worth it in my book, but YMMV.

My favorite scent is Dragons Blood and its hard to find .....the best one was from a soapmaker that went out of business!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom