What's new

Cologne similar to Proraso Red?

I'll have to try smelling that. Because if it really does, I'm buying it!
If you don't mind waiting for shipping you could look up some of the Indian fragrances. I've found a lot of the Indian shaving creams and bar soaps to have a very similar Sandalwood scent to Red (I perfer them personally). Maybe they sell colognes that smell similar

If you don't mind waiting for shipping you could look up some of the Indian fragrances. I've found a lot of the Indian shaving creams and bar soaps to have a very similar Sandalwood scent to Red (I perfer them personally). Maybe they sell colognes that smell similar
I don't mind waiting at all. I'm waiting for an order from the UK and one from Japan right now, LOL!
I wouldn't know where to look for that though. I haven't seen any Indian product vendors here in the US.
Do you have any suggestions for websites?
Thanks

I don't mind waiting at all. I'm waiting for an order from the UK and one from Japan right now, LOL!
I wouldn't know where to look for that though. I haven't seen any Indian product vendors here in the US.
Do you have any suggestions for websites?
Thanks
I've only bought them from Indian grocery stores where I live. I wouldn't know where to look online. I can't even suggest names because I don't remember them.

Just saw this thread as I had finished my shave this morning using the Proraso Red as my after shave. I have a couple of suggestions that might help one in searching for a similar or in the ballpark scent to the Proraso Red after shave.

The first is the cologne/edt that I used this morning to seal the deal after my shave. Uomo? Moschino is an extremely pleasant and rolls into the traditional Italian vein of a gentlemanly vibe of woods, light florals & spices with a hint of citruses. Very classy yet reserved with a modern touch melding both a vibe of yesteryear & today. The fragrance has not an inkling of sandalwood but, the composition as a whole gives this beautiful woods, cinnamon and light powder vibe a smoothness and creaminess that gives the aura of sandalwood being present. I find that this fragrance compliments Proraso Red after shave in an evolution of the scent and not an exact or similar accord as the latter. As a whole the fragrance works beautifully and complements the after shave extremely well. Drawback? Perhaps is the longevity & overall performance from the fragrance as some find it rather fleeting. I get 6-7 hours of really good wear and pick up subtle wafts of the aroma all day. The Misses loves the scent as well and catches the scent for longer periods of time than I do. Price is dirt cheap for a 120ml. bottle at anywhere between $25-$35US. Totally worth it in my opinion.

5F031DF8-4015-4FB7-BE29-E916087F15B9.jpeg

2425A8D2-392B-428E-AFE6-1B3C419C6966.jpeg

The next one is from Ethos Grooming and is Mysore Santal and has perhaps the highest concentration of oils and extracts of one of the best Sandalwoods available. I’ve only tried a 2ml. sample of this and have not acquired a full presentation. It is rich, luxurious with both a dryness and creaminess to it that I’ve never smelled anything close to it before or after. Maybe Profumum Roma’s Santalum has the linear effect but, the Ethos Mysore Santal has the more purer & effective Sandalwood scent. If you love pure Sandalwood and that alone, this one is a real good bet. It’s $75 US for a 60ml. bottle but, samples I believe are available through their website.

(Not my picture)
32153634-70E7-4C15-962D-7C11A358A548.jpeg

And lastly, it’s this offering that I mentioned briefly above. Profumum Roma Santalum. My goodness, this stuff is surreal in what it accomplishes in the Sandalwood based fragrance realm. Very linear from start to finish with more of a resinous character to it probably enhanced somewhat by the gorgeous Myrrh infused into this creation. It’s categorized as a unisex fragrance but, on my skin when I had it, it definitely leaned very much more masculine. Deep, resinous and yet slightly bright in the very opening. You just have to let it settle for a few minutes and then the changeover begins right into the Sandalwood with a slight balsamic, powdery and aromatic flair. Really a magnificent scent that for me hits it perfectly in the Sandalwood genre and having other notes that accompany that note providing a harmonious balance to near perfection. The price of entry though is quite steep at nearly $300 US for a 100ml. bottle. I ran through a bottle of this in less than 6 months but, I’ve abstained from purchasing another strictly on its cost prohibitive nature and quite frankly, the Uomo? Moschino calms my itch for that particular scent vibe.

(Not my picture)
16E6DA11-6F2C-4CA9-86EA-DF4830E35363.jpeg

I always suggest that when one can, just pick out samples and acquire whatever particular scent note or creation that simply call out to you. Much cheaper and less heartbreaking when one orders in the larger bottles on a blind. Plus, it’s much more affordable/easier on the wallet.

Good luck on your search…. :001_smile

Just saw this thread as I had finished my shave this morning using the Proraso Red as my after shave. I have a couple of suggestions that might help one in searching for a similar or in the ballpark scent to the Proraso Red after shave.

The first is the cologne/edt that I used this morning to seal the deal after my shave. Uomo? Moschino is an extremely pleasant and rolls into the traditional Italian vein of a gentlemanly vibe of woods, light florals & spices with a hint of citruses. Very classy yet reserved with a modern touch melding both a vibe of yesteryear & today. The fragrance has not an inkling of sandalwood but, the composition as a whole gives this beautiful woods, cinnamon and light powder vibe a smoothness and creaminess that gives the aura of sandalwood being present. I find that this fragrance compliments Proraso Red after shave in an evolution of the scent and not an exact or similar accord as the latter. As a whole the fragrance works beautifully and complements the after shave extremely well. Drawback? Perhaps is the longevity & overall performance from the fragrance as some find it rather fleeting. I get 6-7 hours of really good wear and pick up subtle wafts of the aroma all day. The Misses loves the scent as well and catches the scent for longer periods of time than I do. Price is dirt cheap for a 120ml. bottle at anywhere between $25-$35US. Totally worth it in my opinion.

View attachment 1440800
View attachment 1440801

The next one is from Ethos Grooming and is Mysore Santal and has perhaps the highest concentration of oils and extracts of one of the best Sandalwoods available. I’ve only tried a 2ml. sample of this and have not acquired a full presentation. It is rich, luxurious with both a dryness and creaminess to it that I’ve never smelled anything close to it before or after. Maybe Profumum Roma’s Santalum has the linear effect but, the Ethos Mysore Santal has the more purer & effective Sandalwood scent. If you love pure Sandalwood and that alone, this one is a real good bet. It’s $75 US for a 60ml. bottle but, samples I believe are available through their website.

(Not my picture)
View attachment 1440809

And lastly, it’s this offering that I mentioned briefly above. Profumum Roma Santalum. My goodness, this stuff is surreal in what it accomplishes in the Sandalwood based fragrance realm. Very linear from start to finish with more of a resinous character to it probably enhanced somewhat by the gorgeous Myrrh infused into this creation. It’s categorized as a unisex fragrance but, on my skin when I had it, it definitely leaned very much more masculine. Deep, resinous and yet slightly bright in the very opening. You just have to let it settle for a few minutes and then the changeover begins right into the Sandalwood with a slight balsamic, powdery and aromatic flair. Really a magnificent scent that for me hits it perfectly in the Sandalwood genre and having other notes that accompany that note providing a harmonious balance to near perfection. The price of entry though is quite steep at nearly $300 US for a 100ml. bottle. I ran through a bottle of this in less than 6 months but, I’ve abstained from purchasing another strictly on its cost prohibitive nature and quite frankly, the Uomo? Moschino calms my itch for that particular scent vibe.

(Not my picture)
View attachment 1440799

I always suggest that when one can, just pick out samples and acquire whatever particular scent note or creation that simply call out to you. Much cheaper and less heartbreaking when one orders in the larger bottles on a blind. Plus, it’s much more affordable/easier on the wallet.

Good luck on your search…. :001_smile
Wonderful thank you!

Curious if anybody can recommend a cologne or EDT similar to Proraso Red. I love the soap, aftershave and balm. I just wish it lasted longer. I know TOBS does a sandalwood cologne but (judging from the shaving cream sample I used) I don’t like the scent much as I like the Proraso Red. Thanks!
What you want is the original Art of Shaving Sandalwood. Not the current one with cypress, though it’s pretty good too. However it’s very difficult to find and when it comes up on eBay it’s very expensive. But I’ve had both soaps and they’re very close. And the original AOS cologne was just like the soap and aftershave balm. For some reason they only changed the cologne.

Curious if anybody can recommend a cologne or EDT similar to Proraso Red. I love the soap, aftershave and balm. I just wish it lasted longer. I know TOBS does a sandalwood cologne but (judging from the shaving cream sample I used) I don’t like the scent much as I like the Proraso Red. Thanks!
Been a while but I just used PAA Sangre de Drago. Its not exactly the same as the Red AS but its quite close and I prefer it in all honesty. It has much more complexity and a deeper, creamy sandalwood accord with a nice hint of Oud but not enough to become pungent. Just adds a pleasant incense vibe into the fragrance. I'm pretty sure they sell EdT's so you might want to try a sample to see if it works out.

Been a while but I just used PAA Sangre de Drago. Its not exactly the same as the Red AS but its quite close and I prefer it in all honesty. It has much more complexity and a deeper, creamy sandalwood accord with a nice hint of Oud but not enough to become pungent. Just adds a pleasant incense vibe into the fragrance. I'm pretty sure they sell EdT's so you might want to try a sample to see if it works out.
Rad thanks!

Top Bottom