What's new

Cologne recommendations?

I don't really know much about colognes. I did recently buy Sherlock, by Chiseled Face. Umm, it's not for me. It's described as leather and tobacco and some other stuff, and I don't smell any leather or tobacco.

What colognes would you recommend based upon my favorite aftershaves (clones would be amazing):

Old Spice, Pinaud Clubman, and Skin Bracer.

Dan. Difficult to say what exactly you would like, but here's my recommendation. Go on fragrantica and search through there for some things and then order samples at Luckyscent or Surrender to Chance. There are a lot of variables I would have to know to be able to really give a decent recco:

- how old are you?
- what circumstances (work, everyday, evening/dates) do you wear fragrance in?
- anything you absolutely love or hate with respect to specific notes?
- what kind of longevity are you looking for?
- what kind of projection/sillage are you looking for?
- is performance important at all?
- what price range do you want to play in? Upper limits?

I have found that over the last few years, I have veered into a dramatically different direction than I used to. I wear way less designer scents and mostly niche and I look to wear things not many others would wear. Wasn't that way a decade ago.

Mostly for work. I'd love for it to last all day. It doesn't need to be super strong, but it shouldn't disappear by noon. $25-$50.

I don't really know much about colognes. I did recently buy Sherlock, by Chiseled Face. Umm, it's not for me. It's described as leather and tobacco and some other stuff, and I don't smell any leather or tobacco.

What colognes would you recommend based upon my favorite aftershaves (clones would be amazing):

Stirling has an EDT version of Spice, which is their take on Old Spice. I haven't tried the EDT but the soap is definitely in the ballpark, scent-wise.

You could go to a place like Ulta or Sephora and smell samples of various designer scents, then look for clone versions (Walmart carries a line of clones that are pretty good, and not expensive).

Suggestions...Old Spice Classic cologne pairs up with the Old Spice aftershave, Canoe cologne pairs up with the Pinaud Clubman. As for the Skin Bracer, Mont Blanc Cool Presence is similar with a minty vanilla scent. The Old Spice and Canoe should be easy to find, at reasonable prices, either at a supermarket or online. As for the Mont Blanc, might be an eBay thing. I had a mini from an assortment once, the juice is blue colored like Aqua Velva...but I wore it with Skin Bracer, pretty close IMO. I concur with steffenapelz to search fragrancenet.com, an endless resource of information on fragrance.

Mostly for work. I'd love for it to last all day. It doesn't need to be super strong, but it shouldn't disappear by noon. $25-$50.

Given that this is for work and given the price range, here are my favorites:

- Guerlain Vetiver (at Fragrance X)
- Givenchy LPM Xeryus (at Fragrance X)
- DR Harris Arlington Cologne (direct)
- Parfums de Nicolai Cologne Sologne (Luckyscent)

Hope this helps.

Most definitely, current version of English Leather cologne!
It's really close to the earlier versions and readily available!
Or simply add an Old Spice cologne!
And, FWIW, Pinaud Clubman is pretty strong and close to cologne longevity!
Enjoy the search!

Most definitely, current version of English Leather cologne!
It's really close to the earlier versions and readily available!
Or simply add an Old Spice cologne!
And, FWIW, Pinaud Clubman is pretty strong and close to cologne longevity!
Enjoy the search!
I totally agree.

My suggestion would be for you and any significant other (if applicable) to go to a mall type fragrance depot. Smell every one they'll let you, taking new of what you like and what you don't. Plan on buying a bottle of your favorite knock off, you did make them spend a half hour on you. Then come back and say "I liked this. What's a good clone?"

Great post! I've been a cologne enthusiast longer than razors/soaps. Appears you're wanting a musk style scent. It's not my style and the only similar type I own is Grey Flannel. It's a classic and it's a love/hate for those that have smelt it.

My recommendation is called Insurrection Wild II. One of my absolute favorites. It has a sweet honey tobacco scent. Lasts all day and it's only around $20. It's really the only cologne I recommend to anyone online because it's so versatile for all ages/careers and smells AMAZING. Comes in a nice case as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211122-194459.png
    Screenshot_20211122-194459.png
    747.1 KB · Views: 10
  • s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 10
I forgot about Bogart Pour Homme. This would have been my first suggestion. I own it as well. It has a tobacco/pepper/leather scent. Sweet but not as much as Insurrection. Some even say it has a slight opening similar to Brut. Smells fantastic and for the price it lasts the longest out of any cologne I own. For once Amazon has the best deal on it just under $20. Bogart fragrances have been popular for decades so I think their style would be a great fit going off your favorite classic aftershaves.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123-094618.png
    Screenshot_20211123-094618.png
    908.5 KB · Views: 5
Great suggestion by @steffenapelz on Fragrantica.com. That's the best fragrance site out there in terms of research. It even lets you filter by note(s) to help drill down on what you're looking for and also provides other fragrances that smell similar to the one you're looking at.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Top Bottom