Brooks Bothers 1818 Cologne
Blue Sapphire
Tom Ford
Tom Ford Noir
YSL Purfum

Samples:
Y by YSL
YSL Pour Homme

I would graciously appreciate any recommendations on scents. How they should be worn, do I need the accompanying deotrant or an unscented one?

Polo green is one of my favorite scents. You could get the edt since you already have the balm and deodorant.

As far as other edt selections, I would not worry about matching aftershave and deodorant. Deodorant isn’t too strong to interfere usually and many aftershaves are fleeting.

Good advice above.

For application I usually do one spritz to cover my upper chest/lower neck, quickly put my shirt on to help “capture” the scent, one spritz aimed at my upper back/lower back of the neck, and a careful half spritz on each wrist. That usually gets me through the day just fine with most frags.

I’m going through the same type of shift. Part of the challenge is the way in which your body chemistry reacts with the scent. You personalize it in a unique way. What it smells like in the first 5 minutes isn’t what is going to be what it expresses 2-6 hours later. I agree with @GearNoir in that I hit my chest with a squirt before putting the shirt on. Hitting your clothes isn’t the best idea. Wear it a couple of days and see what you think.
As far as deo goes, if you’re in The Greater North Houston area-wear what works. All you do is sweat between Galveston and Madisonville.
Tom Ford, Chanel, Dior, Armani, and Ralph Lauren are all sound scents. TF
Costa Azzurra is one I’m sampling now, but it might be more than I want to spend on a scent.

If you like Polo Green as I do maybe try Creed Bois Du Portugal. It is a great rich woodsy scent. One of my favorites. However I second what the others said. Go easy! One good spray to the chest does me all day. Any more and my wife conplains that I smell great but too strong!
Try a sample from a reputable decanter.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t wear cologne often but I do have some great scents. Creed Royal Mayfair, 4 different Penhaligans, Versace. I spray/rub them on my wrist, or my neck. Never my clothes or anywhere else on my body. Supposedly they last a lot longer when they are on your skin in these areas. You have main arteries on your wrist and neck that heat up with blood flow and supposedly keep the scent smelling good for a lot longer. I have no idea if this is true but that’s just where I spray the cologne.

I have never worn the deodorant. I don’t even know if the premium brands of cologne make a deodorant. IMO, a good cologne isn’t going to smell better with a matching deodorant. I have worn Mitchum deodorant for years with any of these clogones and never had a conflict

Givenchy Gentleman Only Absolute might be a nice choice that is also similar(if memory serves correct) to Polo(Green).

Some of my current favorites:
Azzaro Pour Homme
Grey Flannel
Quorum Silver
CO Bigelow Elixr Black

I don't own but sampled and is a universal pleaser:
D&G The One

(love the Tom Ford Noir EDP, I just don't have as many opportunities to wear it, it's quite challenging)

And +++ on the original Polo, I own the Belcam copy version and even that is so strong I rarely choose to wear it..

Vintage Polo can very quickly become overwhelming. I don’t have any of the newer reformulations. I’m a one or 2 spray guy. The matching aftershave splash is also potent in its own right and I use a few drips. In the summer it is cut down to a half a spray!

On the other hand, I have some edt’s that you could not apply too much....

You never know until you try it out.....

Top Bottom