What's new

Cologne Primer

Hello gents,

I've never used cologne, but since I've gotten into wetshaving, my interest has increased, but my knowledge has not. So... I have some rank newbie questions (no pun intended... OK, it was):

What is the difference between cologne, eau de cologne, and eau de toilette? How are they applied (spray, splash on face, etc.)? What are the advantages of one over another?

I keep thinking back to childhood playground wisdom - "Eau de toilette means 'toilet water'! Ewwww!"

Cliff, I have to say that is a great post, with a wealth of information. I never have had very many fragrances, but I just got Brooks Brothers 1818, B&B cologne, and some Grey Flannel (one my dad has always worn), and this post really makes me excited about it.

-Randy S

Cliff,

What a fantastic wealth of information. This is the one area (in relation to shaving) that I have not yet thoroughly explored. This post helped tremendously. Thanks!

rschumacher1 said:
Cliff, I have to say that is a great post, with a wealth of information. I never have had very many fragrances, but I just got Brooks Brothers 1818, B&B cologne, and some Grey Flannel (one my dad has always worn), and this post really makes me excited about it.

-Randy S

Randy,

Where did you find the Grey Flannel? I used to love that stuff until the went out of production many years ago. I've bought a few bottles from reputable vendors on eBay but it's been so long now, they were not any good.

Ed

Ed I found it at my local Marshalls, kind of like a TJ Maxx. They have it every once in a while, if I see it there I'll grab you a bottle.

-Randy S

rschumacher1 said:
Ed I found it at my local Marshalls, kind of like a TJ Maxx. They have it every once in a while, if I see it there I'll grab you a bottle.

-Randy S

And it was still good? Wow. I've bought it whenever I've found it and every bottle has been bad (just an alcohol smell, a slight hint of fragrance, then nothing after about 2 minutes). I really wish they'd bring it back. It was one of my all time favorites.

Top Bottom