What's new

Collins Drinks

Anyone like Collins drink other then me..I know they are usually mixed with gin or vodka.But what are other sprits that you can / have used..

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
It’s just lime, a sweetener, and soda water right? I’ve done it w tequila.
Sounds like a Paloma. I would think gin, light rum, tequila, vodka, or most any light liquor would work. I am not a huge fan of drinks on the sweet side, but add a little bitterness like a jigger of Punt e Mes and/or Campari and I'll join in.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It’s just lime, a sweetener, and soda water right? I’ve done it w tequila.

It's lemon juice, typically. While I've seen some recipes add a bit of lime juice, as well, I don't recall ever seeing one that is just lime juice.

@CurtisB81, there's a documented Collins variation for just about any popular spirit you can think of. If I'm ever in the mood for a Collins (which is rare) but I'm not in the mood for gin (equally rare), I like rum (light or dark, depending on mood).

@Tirvine, I'm with you when it comes to sweet cocktails. A lot of times, I'll ask to cut the sugar or syrup in half. The problem with adding an amaro or something like it is that the addition can overwhelm the sink. But, hey, go for it if it makes you happy!

Blueberry Vodka makes for a delicious collins. We call it a Libby Trickett after the Australlian swimmer who was winning gold medals when we first started mixing these. Just sounded like a good name for a cocktail.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
It's lemon juice, typically. While I've seen some recipes add a bit of lime juice, as well, I don't recall ever seeing one that is just lime juice.

@CurtisB81, there's a documented Collins variation for just about any popular spirit you can think of. If I'm ever in the mood for a Collins (which is rare) but I'm not in the mood for gin (equally rare), I like rum (light or dark, depending on mood).

@Tirvine, I'm with you when it comes to sweet cocktails. A lot of times, I'll ask to cut the sugar or syrup in half. The problem with adding an amaro or something like it is that the addition can overwhelm the sink. But, hey, go for it if it makes you happy!
Adding just lime makes it a Ricky

Adding just lime makes it a Ricky
/QUOTE]

I do not think a rickey has any sugar syrup or other sweetener. I think a Collins requires sweetener.

I personally think a good Collins is an underrated drink. Made properly with fresh juice and not overly sweetened, they are excellent. I think they have gotten a bar reputation from cheap rail bar drinks made with Everfresh and/or cheap Collins mixes.

Top Bottom