What's new

College Student Roll Call

As a young man attending college, I've always wondered how many other young adults have ditched the cartridges and picked up the joy of traditional wet shaving. If you're in the same boat as me, please feel free to shout out what university/college you are attending and what major you are pursuing. If you are a young adult and about to attend or just finished college or just a young adult in general (18 to mid 20s), also feel free to chime in!

For example, I am attending San Jose State University and majoring in Aerospace Engineering.

As a young man attending college, I've always wondered how many other young adults have ditched the cartridges and picked up the joy of traditional wet shaving. If you're in the same boat as me, please feel free to shout out what university/college you are attending and what major you are pursuing. If you are a young adult and about to attend or just finished college or just a young adult in general (18 to mid 20s), also feel free to chime in!

For example, I am attending San Jose State University and majoring in Aerospace Engineering.

I fear you are in for a small response. You are unique in college age guys in that you've discovered a better way. Wisdom comes later. And wisdom is far more useful than cleverness. Except that by the time you have wisdom...well...you're pretty damn old. Want to hear some Watergate jokes?

The guys I know in their 20s obviously--from observation and logical deduction--shave in the shower using razors that come in plastic bags. Like the Gillette Good News.

You are ahead of the curve. Sorry that you must commiserate with those of us who saw Gerald Ford trip and stumble coming off Air Force One...

But based on your screen name of "The Swamp Fox", I suspect you watched the right kind of tv shows growing up.

Last edited:
How about a 51 year old in college. Second masters, Information Technology. I wasn't excited about college out high school, but caught the bug latter in life. Started using a DE and straights later in life too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My son graduated from Cal Poly (MS, Aerospace) a year ago. Didn't pick up traditional shaving while in school but took the plunge within a couple of months afterwards. He's home for a visit and brought his EJ DE89 and Maggard's Black & White. I'm providing the Astra SPs and more soaps than he knew existed.

Starting grad school on the 9th. I'm in my 40s though so not exactly the demographic you're looking for. I'm planning on mostly giving up on one hobby (disc golf) and continuing to enjoy my other hobby (whipping up a nice lather and using old razors).

To add to the discussion, my "kids" use a DE razor. One is still in college, Music Education. He is in his final year of his undergraduate degree.

Starting grad school on the 9th. I'm in my 40s though so not exactly the demographic you're looking for. I'm planning on mostly giving up on one hobby (disc golf) and continuing to enjoy my other hobby (whipping up a nice lather and using old razors).
Well done, Sir. Grad school is challenging, but definitely worth the effort.

Thank you everyone for chiming in. By no means was I expecting a large response but from what I can gather, it will take some more time before my generation "grows" into the hobby.

I started using a DE early in college because I noticed that the campus bookstore always had blades. Also, I was fed up with miserable daily Norelco grindings.

This was the 1980s, though. At one time college students had sense. ;-)

I'm 28. I'm back in college after walking on a path that wasn't for me. I'm on track to graduate with my bachelor's degree at the end of next year if all goes well. I got into this when I was 21 and believe me, I was on my own as far as age group goes. Everyone my age was using Gillette Fusion razors and whatever Gillette shave gel was big at the time. My dad was the one who helped me get away from type of stuff. He started me on Grooming Lounge, a brand he still swears by 8 years later. I then came across an article on The Art of Manliness which talked about how to shave like your grandpa. I was hooked after that. I got some weird looks whenever people saw the type of razor I was using on my bathroom counter or my brush. I didn't care though because I didn't have to deal with grotesque shaving bumps, ingrown hairs, or irritation like I did with the commonly used contraptions like the Fusion with 5 blades... More isn't better and I can use a Bic disposable razor if I have to.

Last edited:
You are unique in college age guys in that you've discovered a better way. Wisdom comes later. And wisdom is far more useful than cleverness. Except that by the time you have wisdom...well...you're pretty damn old. Want to hear some Watergate jokes?

Ive got an embarrassing (funny) story about that lack of wisdom.

I went to college from 2003-2007. Was using carts during those years. Ended up discovering Burt’s Bees shaving soap... loved the scent and performance. That performance came from me using my fingers to rub rub rub rub rub rub the puck to generate enough lather/slickness to get a shave in. I didn’t know shave brushes existed until many years later. Doh! Ignorance is not bliss!

I’m 29 and heading back to school for an MBA. I’m a recent(ish) accounting grad from Lehigh University. Didn’t wet shave or shave much at all in college. I started shaving with a DE after I started working and shaving daily because the irritation... was irritating.

Great timing and great to hear from a fellow Aerospace Engineer! Have fun mate.

I'm 22, and from the UK. Did my stint of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Sheffield, figured out I didn't like the mechanical side of things, and so picked up Control Theory -- just finished a Master's degree in it down in London.

As for shaving, I've been using a DE for about a year now. Not too much experimenting with stuff due to funds, but I've found that I'm a firm disciple of Proraso White soap & aftershave balm... I do have sensitive skin. In fact, the horrid neck irritation from cartridge razors is what pushed me to research an alternative in the first place.

I started wet shaving myself when I was at university so many moons ago. But with a cart :blush: Regrettably, I only discovered DE’s 3 years ago at 51...

I have started my son (19) on wet shaving too and even got him a beautiful Gillette Slim. But he still thinks it is too much hassle and prefers a Fusion. But soon, my dear son, soon...

To add to the discussion, my "kids" use a DE razor. One is still in college, Music Education. He is in his final year of his undergraduate degree.

What music school is he attending?Is he working on a BME degree? I got a BM degree 50 years ago. Worthless degree it was except to say I got a degree. Cartridge razors weren’t on the scene yet.

Top Bottom