What's new

College Hockey

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When I was a kid I played shinny and pond hockey with Joe Mallen, who was hired as head coach at UMass in 92 to bring the program to D1. He had coached at UMass Boston and then was an assistant to Len Ceglarski at BC for about 10 years. He was a goalie at Michigan State. After UMass let him go he left college coaching and became a prep school coach and guidance counselor. Surprised no one in the media sought him out this week for an interview. I think he won 3 games his first year at UMass. It was tough sledding, starting a program from scratch.

Owen Bawn

Guess what begins tonight??? Hint: the women began last night with a win at Penn State...

BC women penn state.jpg

Enjoyed seeing a couple of Bruins/Terriers (McAvoy and Coyle) enjoying the dismantling of the Yankees last evening!

Looking forward to Feb 7th!

Owen Bawn

UMass is not a Massachusetts team at all. After Minnesota there is no state that produces more hockey players than Massachusetts. But UMass, the state university, does not have a single man from Massachusetts on their team. Screw them. I'd root for BU to beat BC before I would ever cheer for those carpetbaggers out in Amherst.
A Massachusetts kid transferred to UMass from Providence over the summer, and a kid from Cape Cod might finally get some ice time this year, so there is finally going to be a Massachusetts native playing for the state's "flagship" university.

Owen Bawn

My boys thoroughly roughed up a weak Maine squad Thursday night, but then lost to them in the OT shootout last night. Every weekend has been the same so far this season- BC has a great game the first night, and then can't put them away the second night. Several consecutive split weekend series get you knocked out of the top 10. Jerry York coaches these kids so that they're peaking in March, and he's had more success than any other college hockey coach, so I guess he's earned the benefit of the doubt...

Owen Bawn

BC had to cancel games against Notre Dame and Harvard due to Covid protocols, but finally were back in action last night beating Brown convincingly. They're in action Friday night at BU in a battle of America's current leaders in underachieving teams. There is nothing in college sports to compare with the Boston College-Boston University hockey rivalry. Nothing. Ten national championships, five apiece, and they've literally been playing for a hundred years. In 1978 BU actually beat BC in the national championship game. And they're not only in the same region, or the same state, or even the same city. No, they're on the same street.
From 2009:

Owen Bawn

BC 4 BU 3 OT shootout. This rivalry never disappoints. A terrific college hockey game. BU was up 2-0 after 2, but BC scored 3x early in the third to take the lead. BU tied the game at 3 with about 6 minutes left, and after a scoreless OT period BC finally won in the fifth inning(?) of the shootout.

Owen Bawn

Just watched the highlights. Should have gone out and found NESN somewhere. Old school BU sweaters. Classic game, minus the shootout, of course.
I'm not a fan of shootouts. A tie is a tie. It happens. Sometimes, like last night, it is the proper outcome to an exceptionally well played game by both sides.

Nice to see the college guys at the Olympics.

Looking forward to the Beanpot final Monday. BU has turned their season around with a couple win streaks.

I wish the Huskies and Bulldogs were playing better this year but The Mavericks and Gophers are having fun seasons. I’ve been able to catch a few of the Mavs and Gophs games in person. So great to sit in a hockey arena again.

Waited all day to see the regular season finale and BU is playing awful. Gave up 6 goals before getting an unreal goal from Skoog. It'll make ESPN Top 10 in the losing effort.

Top Bottom