What's new

College Hockey

This thread is for all the college hockey fans.
This weekend the number 5 DU Pioners take on number 2 rated North Dakota. Always tough and exciting play.
Wisconsin Badgers fan here. When I still lived in Wisconsin, I had season tickets and would normally sell half of my tickets to others. Wisconsin hockey isnt what it once was and theyre long overdue for anothing championship but I still lover the program.
If youve never been to a game in Madison, theres nothing like it.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Wisconsin Badgers fan here. When I still lived in Wisconsin, I had season tickets and would normally sell half of my tickets to others. Wisconsin hockey isnt what it once was and theyre long overdue for anothing championship but I still lover the program.
If youve never been to a game in Madison, theres nothing like it.
Kohl Center just doesn't have the same feel as did Dane County Coliseum, though this year without fans they're playing in the small women's rink attached to Kohl. Unlike most college hockey powers, the Badgers are a relative newcomer to college hockey. I believe they only started playing varsity hockey in 1963. But they've made a lot of history in less than 60 years. Three great coaches in a row- Johnson, Sauer, and Eaves. Granato has yet to make his mark.

I see BC also moved ahead of BU in the Hockey East Power Index this week. 😀. I’d like to say BU should be in the top 10, but we’re down 2-1 to UConn after the first. 🤐

178596C5-5980-4CBD-BE7D-F730C31B81A1.png

At least one BC fan agrees.

Owen Bawn

View attachment 1225971
At least one BC fan agrees.
We all agree that BU is playing great hockey, but they just haven't played enough of it. And with regard to Goodman's comment about attendance, they're talking about basketball. And yes, BC basketball pre-pandemic drew about 22 people a night. But that's pretty good considering they haven't won a basketball game since 2002.

Agreed. I posted that screenshot only for the hockey comment. I’ve honestly been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but BU keeps winning. It took a quick OT goal this afternoon, but a W is a W!

BC hoops has really taken a downturn. I remember going to the Garden for Georgetown v BC; Ewing v Barros. BC always seemed to have a great point guard.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Agreed. I posted that screenshot only for the hockey comment. I’ve honestly been waiting for the other shoe to drop, but BU keeps winning. It took a quick OT goal this afternoon, but a W is a W!

BC hoops has really taken a downturn. I remember going to the Garden for Georgetown v BC; Ewing v Barros. BC always seemed to have a great point guard.
BC shut out Maine, 3-0 for a weekend sweep. BU beat UConn in OT on a goal by Alex Tuch's little brother. UConn is playing over their heads- they could be a good program sooner than people expected. Hockey East is a grind- there are no gimmes.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...If youve never been to a game in Madison, theres nothing like it.
That's true no matter the venue! There were few things as humorous & entertaining as being with Badger friends/fans at the Denver U-Wisconsin games in the old DU Arena ... truth be told, the DU faithful were every bit as affixed to the 100+ raucous Red & White-clad fans as they were the game itself!

Owen Bawn

This week's rankings are out. BC remains #1; BU finally cracks the top 10. Denver is having an off season. Notre Dame is disappointing. And look at Army and UConn knocking on the door.

Rnk

Team

(First Place Votes)

Record

Last Poll
1Boston College(27)15-3-17831
2North Dakota(12)17-4-17712
3Minnesota State(1)15-2-17153
4Minnesota
19-5-06824
5Wisconsin
15-8-16235
6St. Cloud
14-8-05816
7Michigan
12-8-05177
8Boston University
9-2-051511
9Massachusetts
11-5-347510
10Minnesota Duluth
12-8-24478
11Omaha
13-8-13919
12Quinnipiac
13-5-439012
13Bowling Green
17-8-125814
14Providence
9-6-424915
15Clarkson
9-7-423613
16AIC
13-3-017916
17Northeastern
9-6-217116
18Lake Superior
12-4-315720
19Bemidji State
9-6-3104NR
20Michigan Tech
14-8-13418

Others receiving votes: Army 31, Connecticut 27, Notre Dame 19, Penn State 17, Robert Morris 16, RIT 5, Western Michigan 3, Denver 3, Canisius 1

Owen Bawn

BU is having a tough time getting through the schedule, too. This weekend's series against UMass was postponed.

I love college hockey. The most exciting event I ever attended was the Beanpot at the old Boston Garden. Unfortunately, the tournament won't be played this year.

My son gifted me a BU cycling jersey for Christmas. My first ride with it, I passed a couple with two small children. "BC fans here!" Really?! In SWFL?! On my first ride repping the Terriers?! Ugh.

Every once in awhile I will pull up the last couple minutes of the BU-Miami Frozen Four Final on Youtube. Great team and great finish to the season. That team won every tournament it entered.

I really think BU should have a 6th title, but Providence beat them with a little goalie help a few years ago.

We've been down the last couple of years, but hopefully the program gets back to winning National Championships soon. We still have players contributing to Team USA, just like 1980.
Just to show I'm a good sport... this was one of the toughest nights in my life. 1978 NCAA National Championship game- BC and BU. BU won. This is the BU team with all those kids from the 1980 US Olympic Miracle team.
Enjoy! I still can't watch it all the way through...

And the other shoe drops. I turned today’s game on in time to see Merrimack celebrating their third goal with over 7 mins left in the first. 5-2 loss at home.

Owen Bawn

I'm watching the Texas softball game right now so I recorded the BC-UMass hockey game. The softball game should be over by 8 or 8.15 so I'll be able to watch the hockey game without commercials or the 2 Zamboni shows. UMass is pretty good again this year.

Owen Bawn

This win tonight should move UMass into 2nd place in Hockey East behind BC, pushing BU down to 3rd. With a win tonight BC could have secured the regular season title but now it's still up in the air till next weekend. The really interesting part is that no one knows who they will play each week until Tuesday or Wednesday- there's no Hockey East schedule- it's like pick up games.

Owen Bawn

League championship tournaments are underway through the weekend and into next week. About 12 games on TV this weekend. I live for this time of year. We don't need no stinking basketball.

Owen Bawn

Penn State took out Notre Dame this afternoon. Mich State and Minnesota now playing. Got BC and UNH recording as I write, with Michigan and Ohio State tonight. Hockey East semis and finals this week. NCHC start tomorrow. MSU now up on Minnesota 1-0 after one.

Owen Bawn

Minnesota won in OT. Great game. BC scored 3 in the first 8 minutes and then hung on to win 3-2. BU lost, which is always fun to see. I'm recording Ohio State Michigan and I'll watch it tomorrow. I've already seen 4 hockey games today. I can't take another one. I can barely form a two syllable word right now.

Owen Bawn

My boys were lucky to escape with this one. They potted 3 quick ones in the first 8 minutes and from that point on New Hampshire dominated play. Single elimination tournaments are dangerous to top seeds.

Top Bottom