What's new

College Hockey

And it introduced me to the great hockey schools in the midwest I'd never heard of: Lake Superior State, Minnesota State (current #1), Bemidji State...

The New Haven, CT, area has had some success recently, too, with Yale winning in 2013 and Quinnipiac making the final twice in the last decade.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
BU is having a tough time getting through the schedule, too. This weekend's series against UMass was postponed.

I love college hockey. The most exciting event I ever attended was the Beanpot at the old Boston Garden. Unfortunately, the tournament won't be played this year.

My son gifted me a BU cycling jersey for Christmas. My first ride with it, I passed a couple with two small children. "BC fans here!" Really?! In SWFL?! On my first ride repping the Terriers?! Ugh.

Every once in awhile I will pull up the last couple minutes of the BU-Miami Frozen Four Final on Youtube. Great team and great finish to the season. That team won every tournament it entered.

I really think BU should have a 6th title, but Providence beat them with a little goalie help a few years ago.

We've been down the last couple of years, but hopefully the program gets back to winning National Championships soon. We still have players contributing to Team USA, just like 1980.
Like we say, it sucks to BU. Most people have no idea but the BC-BU hockey rivalry is one of the 2-3 most intense rivalries in all of college sports. Two elite programs at top notch academic institutions located not only in the same city but on the same street. At one time BU was all Canadian kids and BC only recruited local Boston guys- that made the rivalry even more fierce. When Jack Parker took over at BU in 75 he began to recruit Boston heavily, which meant that when the 2 schools played the kids all had known each other since peewee and bantam days. In fact, Jack Parker and BC coach Jerry York played against each other in high school- Parker at Catholic Memorial and York at BC High. There have been years when the national championship trophy stayed on Commonwealth Ave but it changed schools. My biggest heartbreak was when BU beat BC in the national championship game in 1978. That BU team had all the 1980 guys on it- Silk, Eruzione, O'Callahan, Craig... BC's talent that year, Brian Leetch and Joey Mullen both chose to go pro rather than to Lake Placid.

This is about 15 years old.

Doc Emrick on the BC-BU rivalry

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Nothing like scoring against BC and doing the chant! Sieve, Sieve! Sieve!
I've been to BU games against Wisconsin or Maine where they do that BC Sucks chant. We're obviously living in their heads. I feel for BU- it is rated one of the top 50 universities in America academically but it is only 5th best in its own city.

As with any great rivalry, when is there a bad time to twist the knife?

Don’t give up hope. BC finally caught BU in national championships. Someday you might catch us in Beanpot trophies... 😀

Owen Bawn

As with any great rivalry, when is there a bad time to twist the knife?

Don’t give up hope. BC finally caught BU in national championships. Someday you might catch us in Beanpot trophies... 😀

Boston College produced former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Thomas P. 'Tip' O'Neill, Senator and Secretary of State John Kerry, and actors Chris O'Donnell and Amy Poehler.

Boston University produced Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rosie O'Donnell, and Howard Stern.

Last edited:
I much prefer catching a college game versus pro. Although I must admit Xcel Energy Center in St Paul is a great place to catch a game. Especially when the Blackhawks or Jets are in town.

Back in the day...before carts were a popular method for shaving....I played defense for the SCSU Husky’s. Herb Brooks coached at SCSU for a year in the late 80s, I forget the year, but I was long gone by then. I had coach Basch, and that man knew more about hockey and hockey players then any man I’ve ever met. Some of the smaller State colleges in Minnesota have long deep hockey history. I like the Gophers and Bulldogs but St Cloud, Bemidi, and Mankato will always have a place in my heart. I left a couple teeth, some blood, and a bit of knee cartilage on those sheets of ice. I often think young people today would benefit from some quality time with Coach Basch and his peers. 😬

Owen Bawn

I much prefer catching a college game versus pro. Although I must admit Xcel Energy Center in St Paul is a great place to catch a game. Especially when the Blackhawks or Jets are in town.

Back in the day...before carts were a popular method for shaving....I played defense for the SCSU Husky’s. Herb Brooks coached at SCSU for a year in the late 80s, I forget the year, but I was long gone by then. I had coach Basch, and that man knew more about hockey and hockey players then any man I’ve ever met. Some of the smaller State colleges in Minnesota have long deep hockey history. I like the Gophers and Bulldogs but St Cloud, Bemidi, and Mankato will always have a place in my heart. I left a couple teeth, some blood, and a bit of knee cartilage on those sheets of ice. I often think young people today would benefit from some quality time with Coach Basch and his peers. 😬
I've always liked SCSU. They were DII until the late 80s. Last year they had a very good team with the Poehling brothers. This year they have a freshman from Finland who's lighting it up. I'm terrible with Finnish names- something like Mittenen. I used to get 3 or 4 NCHC games on TV each weekend but not this year. I miss it.

Owen Bawn

So this weekend #1 Minnesota was swept by Notre Dame, #2 Boston College took a pair from Merrimack in a hastily scheduled series after Northeastern had to drop the weekend due to Covid, No Dakota lost to Denver, Bowling Green kept chugging along, and Wisconsin smacked Arizona State in back to back wins. Finally, UMass took 2 from BU.

The ND sweep at Minnesota surprised me. I expect either North Dakota or BC to be ranked #1 later today.

So this weekend #1 Minnesota was swept by Notre Dame, #2 Boston College took a pair from Merrimack in a hastily scheduled series after Northeastern had to drop the weekend due to Covid, No Dakota lost to Denver, Bowling Green kept chugging along, and Wisconsin smacked Arizona State in back to back wins. Finally, UMass took 2 from BU.

The ND sweep at Minnesota surprised me. I expect either North Dakota or BC to be ranked #1 later today.
A good win (4-1) for the Pioneers last night. Tonight is game two.
I agree Minnesota getting swept was a a surprise. I Hope DU sweeps North Dakota. Should be a tough game today.

Owen Bawn

USCHO rankings released this morning, 17 January.

uscho poll.png

Owen Bawn

Hockey East has scrapped the league schedule for both men's and women's hockey for the rest of the season and from here out schools will essentially be scheduling pick up games with each other. Whoever has enough healthy kids will play. I like the flexibility. Just the past weekend BC learned on Friday morning that Northeastern couldn't play a home and home Friday and Saturday so BC called around and scheduled games with Merrimack for Saturday and Sunday. I hate to see anyone sick, of course, but there's something almost charming and quaint about this league response to te pandemic.

Owen Bawn

Let's have a look to see who is ranked #1 this week, shall we? This is as of Monday, so last night's convincing win over Maine isn't taken into account.

1Boston College (29)13-3-17861
2North Dakota (8)15-4-17612
3Minnesota State (3)13-2-17243
4Minnesota17-5-06695
5Wisconsin14-8-05857
6St. Cloud13-8-05596
7Michigan11-7-05558
8Minnesota Duluth12-7-25294
9Omaha13-6-146710
10Massachusetts11-5-34659
11Boston University8-2-041213
12Quinnipiac13-5-440811
13Clarkson9-7-424714
14Bowling Green16-8-024612
15Providence9-6-424016
T-16Northeastern8-5-219118
T-16AIC13-3-019115
18Michigan Tech14-5-1131NR
19Robert Morris14-5-07219
20Lake Superior9-4-356NR
Others receiving votes: Bemidji State 30, Connecticut 26, Western Michigan 14, Notre Dame 10, Penn State 9, Army 6, Northern Michigan 6, Canisius 3, Denver 2

Top Bottom