What's new

College Football

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have been to the stadium and loved the look also. Yea, Owen it's every conference for themselves. Everyone wants a chair when the music stops playing.
Pretty much a train wreck right now. Is Notre Dame still independent? I always wished they were in the Big Ten...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1631477716615.png

I'm a big Stetson Bennett fan. How 'bout five touchdown passes in the first half!

Stetson is a Damn Good Dawg.

Happy shaves,

Jim

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
So check out this column @Owen Bawn

This weekend Kelley's team had 13 possessions, 8 drives ended in TDs, 2 in turnovers/interceptions, and 3 ended on downs. No Punts and no FG's attempted. I believe their defense must have also scored as they had 68 points....

Somebody's going to hire this guy.....

Actually, I think they may have had several two point conversions, since I think he often goes for 2...so maybe not even a defensive score.....

OK just checked, looks like it was a combo of 2 point conversions and a couple of safeties by their defense. He also did elect to kick extra points instead of going for 2 after they had a big lead....

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
So check out this column @Owen Bawn

This weekend Kelley's team had 13 possessions, 8 drives ended in TDs, 2 in turnovers/interceptions, and 3 ended on downs. No Punts and no FG's attempted. I believe their defense must have also scored as they had 68 points....

Somebody's going to hire this guy.....

Actually, I think they may have had several two point conversions, since I think he often goes for 2...so maybe not even a defensive score.....

OK just checked, looks like it was a combo of 2 point conversions and a couple of safeties by their defense. He also did elect to kick extra points instead of going for 2 after they had a big lead....
Great piece-- thanks for sharing it. Yes, he always goes for 2, never punts, always goes for it on 4th down... it would make for interesting television if he was at UConn.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I'm going to go ahead and predict that Kelley's philosophy is going to catch on in a few short years, it will end up being like the spread offense.....

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Which is kind of ironic because one of his pals is Gus Malzahn, another high school coach from Arkansas who popularized the spread.....

edit - obviously the spread or variations of it have been around for a long time, so giving Malzahn credit for the recent popularity may be overdoing it....

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Well @Owen Bawn I just learned that when the 'Dores host Stanford in Nashville this weekend, it will be the first PAC 10 (or I guess it's technically PAC 12 now) opponent they've played in 60 years and only the second ever. Only other time was a 28-21 loss to UCLA in Los Angeles during the Kennedy administration (1961)

To me that's kind of mind blowing.

I really would like to see that game in person, but alas, I've already passed along my tickets to my brother. It's less than a 2 mile walk/bike ride for him to the stadium. Much easier than my 300 mile drive :)

Oh and BTW - I just learned Vanderbilt escaped ESPN's dubious "Bottom 10" this week. The CSU Rams however, did replace us and took the #4 spot.

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Is Notre Dame still independent? I always wished they were in the Big Ten...

Technically yes, but for the past several seasons one could say they've been a de facto member of the ACC since they now schedule 5 ACC teams every season. I think that has been the arrangement since 2014 or so when they left the Big East to join the ACC in most all other sports (Men's & Women's basketball, etc)

FWIW I've always respected ND since they never schedule FCS teams, which is very common practice most power 5 schools use to pad their win-loss record.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Well @Owen Bawn I just learned that when the 'Dores host Stanford in Nashville this weekend, it will be the first PAC 10 (or I guess it's technically PAC 12 now) opponent they've played in 60 years and only the second ever. Only other time was a 28-21 loss to UCLA in Los Angeles during the Kennedy administration (1961)

To me that's kind of mind blowing.

I really would like to see that game in person, but alas, I've already passed along my tickets to my brother. It's less than a 2 mile walk/bike ride for him to the stadium. Much easier than my 300 mile drive :)

Oh and BTW - I just learned Vanderbilt escaped ESPN's dubious "Bottom 10" this week. The CSU Rams however, did replace us and took the #4 spot.
That's surprising. At the same time I wonder how many other SEC schools have limited experience with the PAC 12? I can't imagine Mississippi State has made many trips to Palo Alto or Seattle. I've seen BC play Stanford at least twice in Boston and I think they've played a couple out there; USC has also been to Boston at least twice, and I know they've played Arizona, ASU, and Cal at least once each in my adult life.

BC has played Vandy 3 times, the last being a Vandy victory in the Music City Bowl in 2008. I didn't go to Nashville for the game.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
BTW - since we're mentioning the Pac12 I'd be remiss if I didn't say kudos to the Oregon Ducks for what had to be the biggest upset of this past week. Take a break and watch the highlights if you haven't seen them. A gem of a game.

Owen Bawn

BTW - since we're mentioning the Pac12 I'd be remiss if I didn't say kudos to the Oregon Ducks for what had to be the biggest upset of this past week. Take a break and watch the highlights if you haven't seen them. A gem of a game.

The Oregon QB, Anthony Brown, is a transfer from BC. People are apoplectic here in Ohio about this loss; there are some calling for Ryan Day to fire his defensive staff or to quit himself. They've forgotten how to lose here.

Owen Bawn

Here's something to think about... Vanderbilt has been in the Southeastern Conference since 1933, with no SEC championships. Tulane has 3 SEC championships.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Here's something to think about... Vanderbilt has been in the Southeastern Conference since 1933, with no SEC championships. Tulane has 3 SEC championships.

O c'mon now, can we at least count the dozen or so conference titles before the SEC existed? In the first quarter of the 20th century Dan McGugin coached a powerhouse ;)

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Here's something you'll appreciate @Owen Bawn , the men's basketball full schedule was recently released and the 'Dores host Sister Jean's Loyola of Chicago team in early December.

Top Bottom