What's new

College Football

The favorite saying around these parts was that when it comes to football, the only 3 conferences that matter are the AFC, the NFC, and the SEC....

But really, if Texas and OU join, making a super-conference, what role is there for a school like Vanderbilt? What place do they have in a football super conference? Absolutely none.
I agree with this statement. Colleges have become infatuated with chasing the dollar and as such many do anything they can to put the best team in the NCAA on the field and to heck with the education side of it. They should just create a degree for football and not require the students to take English, et al.

I don’t think that is what colleges should be, but no one asked me.

So media reports today confirm what was leaked to the Houston Chronicle less than 24 hours ago. Texas & Oklahoma are indeed going to jump ship to the SEC. What does this now mean for the Big 12? Do the Houston Cougars come back? The SMU Mustangs? I predict a wave of conference realignment on the horizon. We likely end up with 4 - 16 team super conferences.

Being the Gen X'r that I am I feel this REM song is apropos

I have been reading the news reports online and it appears to be a matter of not if the leave, but when. The Texas legislature is scrambling to enact legislation to prevent it, but I doubt that they can do it. The jump would renew the Texas vs Texas A&M rivalry as well as the old Texas vs Arkansas rivalry. Things in the TexOkie household could get interesting. Mrs TexOkie is an LSU fan.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I agree with this statement. Colleges have become infatuated with chasing the dollar and as such many do anything they can to put the best team in the NCAA on the field and to heck with the education side of it. They should just create a degree for football and not require the students to take English, et al.

I don’t think that is what colleges should be, but no one asked me.
I agree. Make the colleges/universities the minor leagues:
1) pay the players
2) give them 4 years max to play there
3) no mandatory classes - any classes would get credits
4) allow player to return at any time to complete undergrad degree

I agree. Make the colleges/universities the minor leagues:
1) pay the players
2) give them 4 years max to play there
3) no mandatory classes - any classes would get credits
4) allow player to return at any time to complete undergrad degree
The NCAA basically provides the NFL with a developmental league much like baseball’s minor leagues with the exception that the NCAA athlete is limited to a four year career. If college football disappeared tomorrow, the NFL would have to create a league to develop the high school players into professional players. They would get paid then.

Honestly I think that would likely be the best thing for Vandy as well. Some other fans/friends of mine have kicked around this idea for a while now, of having a "Magnolia League" with the likes of Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forrest, Sewanee, Furman, The Citadel, Richmond, Tulane, Elon, Mercer, etc.....
Hard to imagine Vandy turning down the $60,000,000+ per year they get from just being in the SEC. But, who knows, everything is changing.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
So here's a question. In baseball there are both minor leagues and college. But football is different. Can anyone offer info?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So here's a question. In baseball there are both minor leagues and college. But football is different. Can anyone offer info?
I propose we start a petition for arena football to become a Minor League of Football.

I definitely enjoy women's fast pitch or Minor League baseball to professional baseball, I'd be much more willing to spend money on arena sports. Kinda has a "Mad Max" vibe to it.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I propose we start a petition for arena football to become a Minor League of Football.

I definitely enjoy women's fast pitch or Minor League baseball to professional baseball, I'd be much more willing to spend money on arena sports. Kinda has a "Mad Max" vibe to it.
I'm no football expert but arena football imho lacks what NFL football provides.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Hard to imagine Vandy turning down the $60,000,000+ per year they get from just being in the SEC. But, who knows, everything is changing.
I suspect once the NCAA breaks up this will no longer be the case. The SEC will divide the spoils based on winning, and not simply on conference membership. The rich will get richer, until Vandy leaves to play Furman and the Citadel.

It’s official. Oklahoma and Texas are departing from the big 12(10), for the SEC. The attached article references their joint state. The timetable is uncertain at this time. Worst case scenario, they wait until the 2025/26 season to move. Best case scenario, they move for the 2022/23 season. If anything other than the first scenario happens, the two schools will owe the Big 12(10) $80,000 each.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
It’s official. Oklahoma and Texas are departing from the big 12(10), for the SEC. The attached article references their joint state. The timetable is uncertain at this time. Worst case scenario, they wait until the 2025/26 season to move. Best case scenario, they move for the 2022/23 season. If anything other than the first scenario happens, the two schools will owe the Big 12(10) $80,000 each.

They make $80k in t shirts during 1 game!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
As an Austinite who did not attend UT but loves football, I hope this somehow galvanizes UT to play to its potential. It always has a ton on talent, and even though the revolving door has been spinning with coaches coming and going, the coaches that have left and the coaches currently there are very talented.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
As an Austinite who did not attend UT but loves football, I hope this somehow galvanizes UT to play to its potential. It always has a ton on talent, and even though the revolving door has been spinning with coaches coming and going, the coaches that have left and the coaches currently there are very talented.
Just get Saban to Austin...

That's every year at Alabama. People fail to see that Saban has to rebuild his staff every year. He might lose 2 or 3 coaches each year.

Top Bottom